Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

When you think about it, this club has been going nowhere for the past decade or so and probably will continue to do so for the foreseeable future.

What Ashley and Pardew are doing is just breaking the cycle of false hope-heartbreak-false hope again that all of us have been suffering through. Now it's just a flat line of disinterest.

Spot on.

Absolutley nailed it. :thup:

This is what they want as well, a passive, obedient bunch of sheep. Sadly its what a portion of our support now is as well.

There will be clueless idiots chanting his name pre season, you can see it now.

Lump all on relegation battle next season and strap ourselves in cos its gonna be bumpy.

I can see a bit of a war twixt our fans looming too.  :sad:

Guest chopey

My war started against Cardiff when I got dogs abuse for walking out, I'm pleased I dont have to sit amongst them next season

My war started against Cardiff when I got dogs abuse for walking out, I'm pleased I dont have to sit amongst them next season

Aye.

The folk that continue to complicity lend support to this regime are welcome to continue swallowing Ashley and cos shit. I for one have had enough.

Football's all about false hope and heartbreak. That's infinitely preferable to this.

This.

IMO I think there's a larger structural issue here in that all but a select few teams have become unable to compete, to the point that the false hope that's needed to keep fans interested is going to dry up eventually.

Football is still popular because there are a lot of people who are still holdovers from the days when football was the only game in town, who are too loyal to leave their clubs despite knowing that it's all sham now.

Eventually those people are going to lose hope, get priced out, or die out, and what's going to be left over is a new generation of fans for whom football is merely one among a wide variety of entertainment choices. And once these fans open their eyes to the fact that there is no real point to any club in England existing other than 5 or so, the bottom will come out of football. I don't know if that's going to be 10 or 20 years in the future but I'm pretty sure it will happen eventually. What Ashley is doing has just accelerated the process for us.

Football's all about false hope and heartbreak. That's infinitely preferable to this.

This.

IMO I think there's a larger structural issue here in that all but a select few teams have become unable to compete, to the point that the false hope that's needed to keep fans interested is going to dry up eventually.

Football is still popular because there are a lot of people who are still holdovers from the days when football was the only game in town, who are too loyal to leave their clubs despite knowing that it's all sham now.

Eventually those people are going to lose hope, get priced out, or die out, and what's going to be left over is a new generation of fans for whom football is merely one among a wide variety of entertainment choices. And once these fans open their eyes to the fact that there is no real point to any club in England existing other than 5 or so, the bottom will come out of football. I don't know if that's going to be 10 or 20 years in the future but I'm pretty sure it will happen eventually. What Ashley is doing has just accelerated the process for us.

:lol: Picked an NFL team yet, OT?

This.

Totally agree, been saying this for ages. The vast majority of clubs can't compete, even the likes of Liverpool will fall away when Suarez leaves. It's essentially a non-competition for most people.

Suppose you could argue that therefore it's even more important that every individual 90 minutes is entertaining.

This.

IMO I think there's a larger structural issue here in that all but a select few teams have become unable to compete

Presumably this includes Wigan, Hull, Swansea, Bradford and sunderland given that they've all contested (or are about to contest, for you pedants) a major cup final within the last two seasons.

This.

IMO I think there's a larger structural issue here in that all but a select few teams have become unable to compete

Presumably this includes Wigan, Hull, Swansea, Bradford and sunderland given that they've all contested (or are about to contest, for you pedants) a major cup final within the last two seasons.

Under the modern regime, 99% of the teams in the football league have a punter's chance at making a cup finals once every century or so while 1% dominate 100% of the league title and the vast majority of cups. That's not competition.

Guest firetotheworks

I often agree with you OT but that's simply not true considering the recent finalists and winners of those trophies.

I often agree with you OT but that's simply not true considering the recent finalists and winners of those trophies.

In the last ten years the only non-entitlement clubs to win a cup are Portsmouth, Wigan, Birmingham, and Swansea. That's 80% of titles being dominated by roughly 5% of the teams in the football league. (Or 10%, if you justifiably assume that League 1 and League 2 don't matter.)

Even if you assume that this represents a fair shot at competition for the cups, these are second-class trophies that are only winnable by virtue of the real teams not giving a shit about them. Five teams have an effective monopoly on the one trophy that matters and that number is more likely to shrink in the future than grow. (Barring additional Arab takeovers.)

Whichever way you cut it, this isn't a sustainable level of competition.

In the last ten years the only non-entitlement clubs to win a cup are Portsmouth, Wigan, Birmingham, and Swansea. That's 80% of titles being dominated by roughly 5% of the teams in the football league. (Or 10%, if you justifiably assume that League 1 and League 2 don't matter.)

Even if you assume that this represents a fair shot at competition for the cups, these are second-class trophies that are only winnable by virtue of the real teams not giving a shit about them. Five teams have an effective monopoly on the one trophy that matters and that number is more likely to shrink in the future than grow. (Barring additional Arab takeovers.)

Whichever way you cut it, this isn't a sustainable level of competition.

:tobey: So...playoffs?

Guest chopey

I was just thinking, I wonder how Ashley would feel if Pardew fucked off back to West Ham, I think the lesson that Ashley is still to learn in football is that there's no loyalty.

I think it's more an issue about not even taking them seriously to begin with. I could handle getting knocked out if I knew we actually wanted to progress as deep into the competition as possible. The odd semi-final or final would be ace but I'd not necessarily expect it. What I'll not tolerate is the fact we don't even try because a) they don't bring in enough money and b) we have an incompetent in the dugout who has already proven he can't handle extra games  other than the League. 

Jesus Christ Oldtype, that's incredibly depressing.

Football needs to change. The traditional way simply isn't designed to deal with such a massive influx of money into the system.

American sports don't have ridiculous rules like salary caps and drafts because Americans are silly and like that sort of thing, they have it because it was recognized in the incipient stages that professional sports leagues would not function once exposed to a mass influx of capital unless such regulations were in place.

Obviously European football has evolved from a very different starting point and it's not realistic to implement the same level of regulation here, but Europe will have to find its own way out of this mess.

As I mentioned, long-time and local fans are increasingly being disillusioned, priced out, or dying out. A large part of what's propping up the Premier League right now are simple entertainment-seekers who are liable to leave as soon as something more interesting comes along. (And to be fair, I'd put myself in this category to a degree.) If football continues like this, that day is liable to be catastrophic.

What we're seeing with Mike Ashley and NUFC is a preview.

Jesus Christ Oldtype, that's incredibly depressing.

Football needs to change. The traditional way simply isn't designed to deal with such a massive influx of money into the system.

American sports don't have ridiculous rules like salary caps and drafts because Americans are silly and like that sort of thing, they have it because it was recognized in the incipient stages that professional sports leagues would not function once exposed to a mass influx of capital unless such regulations were in place.

Obviously European football has evolved from a very different starting point and it's not realistic to implement the same level of regulation here, but Europe will have to find its own way out of this mess.

As I mentioned, long-time and local fans are increasingly being disillusioned, priced out, or dying out. A large part of what's propping up the Premier League right now are simple entertainment-seekers who are liable to leave as soon as something more interesting comes along. (And to be fair, I'd put myself in this category to a degree.) If football continues like this, that day is liable to be catastrophic.

What we're seeing with Mike Ashley and NUFC is a preview.

Soccer now is pretty much baseball before 1969.

This.

Under the modern regime, 99% of the teams in the football league have a punter's chance at making a cup finals once every century or so while 1% dominate 100% of the league title and the vast majority of cups. That's not competition.

"The vast majority of cups" :lol:

There's two, and Wigan Athletic and Swansea City were the holders of those going into this season. The season before, Cardiff City competed in a final. The year before that, Birmingham City and Stoke City. The year before, Aston Villa and Portsmouth.

The facts are that more clubs throughout the league structure than ever before are competing for the two major cups, clubs who have never previously won anything in their entire history (like Swansea, Wigan and possibly Hull) are winning things and that this year, a team that finished 7th the previous season came in the top 2. The last time that happened was in 1992-93. To watch what Liverpool have done and yet try to claim that the whole thing, including cups, is a closed shop is absolutely ridiculous.

Going by your numbers, no football club as a whole can win the title, since there are only 92 clubs in the Football League and only 1% can win the league or the "vast majority of cups."

This ridiculous hyperbole adds nothing to the discussion. It's simply defeatist nonsense, the type of which Mike Ashley craves hearing from Newcastle supporters.

Agree with Wullie here. You could have said the same thing 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago about there being a lack of competition, but the names of the club dominating proceedings wouldn't necessarily be the same (with a few noticeable exceptions)