Alan '48 points' Pardew

Nobody
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Agree with Wullie here. You could have said the same thing 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago about there being a lack of competition, but the names of the club dominating proceedings wouldn't necessarily be the same (with a few noticeable exceptions)

People forget that for the previous 40 years, first Liverpool then Man United had every major trophy on a string.

I've never known the domestic cups be as winnable/contestable as they have been over the last five years.

That's because the top clubs don't give a shit about them anymore. There's no incentive to.

Even if that were true, which it's not, your point is what exactly?

Of course it is. What incentives are there for the likes of City or Chelsea to win the cups, outside of bragging rights? They're going to qualify for the CL anyway, the payout for winning the cups is a pittance, and they risk injury/fatigue to their top performers by playing them in extra matches. And as a result, they play weakened squads and/or half-ass their way through it. Which makes the cups more contestable for everyone else.

Still don't understand what your point is. Who cares what Chelsea or City do in the cups if we go on to win it? I know I'd celebrate like a fucking mad man if we ever a cup.

Agree with Wullie here. You could have said the same thing 10, 20, 30, 40 or 50 years ago about there being a lack of competition, but the names of the club dominating proceedings wouldn't necessarily be the same (with a few noticeable exceptions)

People forget that for the previous 40 years, first Liverpool then Man United had every major trophy on a string.

I've never known the domestic cups be as winnable/contestable as they have been over the last five years.

That's because the top clubs don't give a shit about them anymore. There's no incentive to.

Even if that were true, which it's not, your point is what exactly?

Of course it is. What incentives are there for the likes of City or Chelsea to win the cups, outside of bragging rights? They're going to qualify for the CL anyway, the payout for winning the cups is a pittance, and they risk injury/fatigue to their top performers by playing them in extra matches. And as a result, they play weakened squads and/or half-ass their way through it. Which makes the cups more contestable for everyone else.

Still don't understand what your point is. Who cares what Chelsea or City do in the cups if we go on to win it? I know I'd celebrate like a fucking mad man if we ever a cup.

The initial comment, by Wullie, was that the cups are more competitive now than they have been in the past. To which I responded, "The cups are more competitive now because the top clubs aren't truly contesting them." That's it.

I'm happy for the likes of Swansea and Wigan, but they were outliers and not the norm. And in the end, what was winning those cups worth to them when they remain second-class citizens of English football?

A moment of feeling pure ecstasy for everyone who has any connection to the club followed by a lifetime of cherishing that memory and moment that they wouldn't swap for the world. I'd say it's a pretty big thing tbh.

But aye, they only got £1m or whatever so why bother.

It doesn't bother you that winning the league cup would barely register for most Man City fans while it would be one of the defining moments of our lifetime for most of us?

Hansen on MOTD yesterday evening mentioned how Liverpool fans politely clapped when they last won the title (whereas in contrast there would have been huge celebrations had they won it yesterday), such was the norm for them at the time. Winning the title was "par", anything else would have represented failure. This was more than 20 years ago.

If you're just not disturbed by the fact that essentially all our hopes and dreams are pinned on a small chance of winning a secondary honor that the top clubs don't even care about, that's fair I suppose.

Obviously there's disparity in every sports league, even a heavily regulated one. I just don't think the level of disparity in England and most European leagues is acceptable/sustainable, that's all.

If you're just not disturbed by the fact that essentially all our hopes and dreams are pinned on a small chance of winning a secondary honor that the top clubs don't even care about, that's fair I suppose.

Obviously there's disparity in every sports league, even a heavily regulated one. I just don't think the level of disparity in England and most European leagues is acceptable/sustainable, that's all.

It's not sustainable yet it's been going for over a hundred years (and growing exponentially in popularity for the last 20 years) in exactly the same way.

Wait, you were serious about that top class manager + guaranteed 30 mill investment would still only represent a 50 straight head coin flips chance? :lol:

It's not sustainable yet it's been going for over a hundred years (and growing exponentially in popularity for the last 20 years) in exactly the same way.

You know as well as I do that it hasn't been going on the exact same way.

I'm still after hearing how Arsenal only won the title because they were an "entitlement club", when I'd thought it was because they scoured the globe for the best manager they could find and came back from Japan with Arsene Wenger.

Wait, you were serious about that top class manager + guaranteed 30 mill investment would still only represent a 50 straight head coin flips chance? :lol:

Mildly hyperbolic, but the chance would still be extremely slim.

Do you honestly think that any amount of good signings and good managerial appointments will allow NUFC to challenge for the league title under the current system

Why wouldn't it?

If you believe it's possible, fair play, but I just don't see it. Even with guaranteed investment of 30 million pounds a year and one of Europe's top managers (assuming we could keep him for longer than a season), it would still require the equivalent of flipping a coin fifty times and having it all come out heads. Even then, get one decision wrong and we'd be right back down where we are now.

Look at a club like Chelsea as a contrast. A litany of terrible decisions and bad signings and one appointment has them instantly in title contention. The disparity in the allowable margin of error should feel shocking.

West Ham, 2 points

Hull City, 3 points

Sunderland, 3 points

Swansea, 1 point

West Brom, 3 points

Norwich, 2 points

Sunderland, 3 points

Fulham, 3 points

Stoke, 3 points

Swansea, 3 points

10 games in which we pissed away 26 points.  10 games that we should have either won or at least picked up a point where Pardew mismanaged the team and we dropped points.  9 games against teams who finished below us in the league.  26 points would have seen us in 5th and challenging for the Champion's League again.

We don't need massive spending, Souness proved you can spend a fortune and still end up with a shite team.  We need intelligent investment and a decent manager and we could be challenging for Europe again.

You know as well as I do that it hasn't been going on the exact same way.

I read Memphis' post, so I know that it has (although I knew the gist of that anyway).

Any leaks from the fans forum yet ?

I imagine the club have just read out oldtype's last 15 posts as justification for not bothering our arse at anything, ever.

Meh, this was a waste of time from the beginning given that you were hellbent on straw-manning me into some sort of ridiculous Ashley apologist as opposed to considering what I'm actually saying.

I stand by my opinion, and I'll just leave it at that.

Any leaks from the fans forum yet ?

I imagine the club have just read out oldtype's last 15 posts as justification for not bothering our arse at anything, ever.

Meh, this was a waste of time from the beginning given that you were hellbent on straw-manning me into some sort of ridiculous Ashley apologist as opposed to considering what I'm actually saying.

I stand by my opinion, and I'll just leave it at that.

That was a joke mate, I don't think they actually did that. Feel free to carry on with your baseless tirade against English football.

If, if in the extraordinarily unlikely scenario that Newcastle do win a trophy, I'll be sure to be at Wembley with my arms folded in a steaming huff because it's only a secondary honour that the famous Man City don't care about.

If you still enjoy it that's your just opinion and I don't feel the need to insult you for it.

I honestly no longer do. I still love and support NUFC but European football as a whole doesn't make sense to me.

And that's just my opinion as well.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't understand your argument at all like OT. Even now Atletico Madrid are on the verge of winning La Liga and the CL. History is littered with teams going above and beyond what's expected. Saying otherwise, even with a cynical outlook on it ignores the amount of recent finals reached, leagues won and cups won by teams that you wouldn't expect to across Europe.