Manchester United

Mr. Snrub
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He'll probably break Shearer's Premiership record as well but that doesn't mean he's as good as Shearer was either.

He hasn't done it for England when it mattered (apart from Euro 2004) so I'd be more than happy to try something different.

I fucking hope he doesn't break Sheraer's record. Saying that he's played in the PL for 12 years now, Shearer only played in it for 14 and he must have mised 2 year's worth of fixtures?

Yep, I don't see why we don't go for a different striking option for the WC however

He'll probably break Shearer's Premiership record as well but that doesn't mean he's as good as Shearer was either.

He hasn't done it for England when it mattered (apart from Euro 2004) so I'd be more than happy to try something different.

That top point doesn't make any sense. You're right, but it has no relevance to dropping him for Sterling/Welbeck/Sturridge when Rooney is levels above all three. You said Rooney hasn't done anything of note for England and i basically pointed out he's on his way to be England's all time leading goalscorer.

You're basically blaming England's past failings on Rooney because he hasn't delivered, so he should dropped? If that was the case Gerrard wouldn't play again let alone be captain.

Outrageous to even consider the thought of dropping Rooney for a major tournament, especially when we are hardly overloaded with talent in the striking department.

I don't think it's outrageous at all when you look at his record in previous tournaments.

I geniuenly think that the front three I mentioned would be a lot more fluid and benefit the team more than Rooney as an individual. Just because a player might be be better than other individuals doesn't mean he should play if it is ahead of the team.

You've pointed out his goalscoring record but again when did he last really do it for England when it mattered?

Guest Spark

I'd also drop Rooney.  He couldn't even control the ball in South Africa. Admittedly everyone else was also crap, but he was on another level. Then you have to consider his temperament. He was sent off in 2006 at a crucial moment and missed games in 2012 through suspension. He's a liability.

I don't think it's outrageous at all when you look at his record in previous tournaments.

I geniuenly think that the front three I mentioned would be a lot more fluid and benefit the team more than Rooney as an individual. Just because a player might be be better than other individuals doesn't mean he should play if it is ahead of the team.

You've pointed out his goalscoring record but again when did he last really do it for England when it mattered?

You qualify for these tournaments with Rooney's goals, i think that 'matters'. He was top scorer in our group which has led us to the World Cup, so we now drop him? It's outrageous, it really is :lol:

Tooj is spot on here. Pick players that you know are going to play in the position they're selected in. Rooney drops far too deep for me.....oh for the 2004 Rooney. But unfortunately we haven't seen the 2004 world at his feet Rooney since Taggart got his hands on him.

Tooj is spot on here. Pick players that you know are going to play in the position they're selected in. Rooney drops far too deep for me.....oh for the 2004 Rooney. But unfortunately we haven't seen the 2004 world at his feet Rooney since Taggart got his hands on him.

Rooney is a liability against good teams in my opinion with all the roaming he does. He isn't patient enough to stay up top while the other team have the ball so goes back into the defence to win the ball. Commentators cream themselves about this but it is not good for the team in the slightest.

I'd play him behind Sturridge with Welbeck and Sterling on the wings personally. Probably Henderson and Gerrard/Lampard behind in the centre. I don't think we've got anywhere near the quality in the side to drop him completely.

Basically this. I mean he's our only world class attacking option ffs. If we had a Higuain banging on the door for a start or a Tevez, i'd be all for looking for something different. Instead we have Danny Welbeck and Jay Rodriquez.

Seriously some of the opinions in here are borderline retarded sometimes. :lol: Dropping Rooney for fuck sake. :lol: :lol: You'd play one game without him and be crying to get him back. He's scored 10 in his last 15 appearances as well.

He's England's best player, by lightyears. He'll play every game, because nobody is stupid enough to drop him. Even if he was suspended for all the group games he'd still go.

It's pretty much the same as Messi and Argentina. Reckon there are some Argentinians calling for Messi not to go to the World Cup? :lol:

When is the last time you saw Messi play for Argentina because he has been outstanding for them the last few years

Guest Spark

It's pretty much the same as Messi and Argentina. Reckon there are some Argentinians calling for Messi not to go to the World Cup? :lol:

Laughable comparison. Rooney's performances at tournaments have been terrible, even by England's standards. He looked like a pub player in South Africa. I haven't seen Messi play like that for Argentina.

If Wayne Rooney is world class, on current form so is Daniel Sturridge.

However, I don't think Wayne Rooney is world class at all. When has he consistently been the difference in big matches against top opposition? Maybe 3 or so years ago. Not this season, not last either.

He's a very good player. But world class? Nope.

Is it shite. :lol:

Messi's performances for Argentina have been loads better than Rooney's have for England in recent years.

If Wayne Rooney is world class, on current form so is Daniel Sturridge.

That doesn't make Sturridge world class though because of his form. Like when people were saying Suarez was in Messi/Ronaldo bracket on form? Form is temporary, it will come and go. Ronaldo on form is the best player in the world right now, but really you know Messi is the best in the world.

Rooney for me is short of the elite but there's no doubt he's still world class. He's actually not even fulfilled his early potential but he's still one heck of player which would get in most sides in the world and the fact people want him dropped from the National side is baffling.

If we had a queue of quality players lined up waiting to take his place, it might seem logical to try something different. As it stands, he's just proven in qualifying how valuable he is by pretty much doubling what any other player scored in the side. Rooney or Welbeck/Rodriquez/Lambert/Defoe/PC (for Pilko), it’s a no brainer.

Or as I've mentioned in a 4-3-3 not play him as Sturridge would be a better option up the middle and out wide Welbeck and Sterling would be better options, so if we played that formation he wouldn't fit into it for me as the team comes first.

If we went for a 4-4-1-1 then yes I'd play him behind Sturridge but at the moment I'd prefer Sturridge in the lone role in a three.

I'd also drop Rooney.  He couldn't even control the ball in South Africa. Admittedly everyone else was also crap, but he was on another level. Then you have to consider his temperament. He was sent off in 2006 at a crucial moment and missed games in 2012 through suspension. He's a liability.

I expected better than this from you. Go back to lurking.

Or as I've mentioned in a 4-3-3 not play him as Sturridge would be a better option up the middle and out wide Welbeck and Sterling would be better options, so if we played that formation he wouldn't fit into it for me as the team comes first.

If we went for a 4-4-1-1 then yes I'd play him behind Sturridge but at the moment I'd prefer Sturridge in the lone role in a three.

Sturridge isn't even a better striker than Rooney either. Put any formation you like but Rooney is still by far our greatest attacker. Ron had him ahead of Zlatan, that can't be an easy call  :lol:

If he's not in the elite how is he world class? He's not one the top 3 forwards in the league let alone the world.

Like said, when has he been the difference in a big match? Has he carried his team?

He's a very good player and he has been very consistent in his career but not world class.

He's best as a cog for an excellent team. Dovetailing a RVP or Cronaldo (world class players) to get the best out of them.

Don't start with this recent years shite like :lol:. Your claim is major tournaments because Rooney in that last two years for England has 10 in 15 games as a deep player. Is that shite or something now? This is England's problem. Nothing is ever good enough.

Messi has played in two World Cups and scored one goal by the way. The comparison isn't laughable at all, just people are in denial about Rooney. Rooney and Messi have almost identical international records except 14 of Messi's goals were in competitive games, compared to Rooney's 28.

Don't start with this recent years s**** like :lol:. Your claim is major tournaments because Rooney in that last two years for England has 10 in 15 games as a deep player. Is that s**** or something now? This is England's problem. Nothing is ever good enough.

Messi has played in two World Cups and scored one goal by the way. The comparison isn't laughable at all, just people are in denial about Rooney. Rooney and Messi have almost identical international records except 14 of Messi's goals were in competitive games, compared to Rooney's 28.

Messi was very good in the last world cup except against Germany. This was generally accepted at the time but people seem to have forgotten this