Newcastle Utd 1 - 2 Cardiff City - 04/01/14 - Post-match reaction from page 21

BlueStar

Mike Ashley's wet dream of a season continues, he'll get away with not having to buy anyone this window as well. We will probably offload a few while looking at some contract expiry moves for the summer.

He doesn't necessarily have to rest players to not be taking the competition seriously. I've got no doubt whatsoever that he'll have been drumming it into the players all week that the game isn't that important, just make sure you don't get injured etc. He's been doing it in the press so God knows what he's said in private.

It's not coincidence that the four FA Cup defeats under him have been embarrassing in terms of effort and tempo - we want to win but only if we can do so at walking pace and as a non-contract sport - in other words, we don't want to win. I'd say the same goes for his League Cup efforts too tbh.

Another thing is that I find the phoney injuries he cooks up (Coloccini and Cisse last year, Cabaye and Krul this time) absolutely insulting.

If he really wanted to be out of the FA Cup, why not give some of the fringe players a run out then? Cabaye was out so he could have started Marveaux or someone similar to provide the missing creativity. Instead he went with his favourite tactic of two defensive midfielders at home to Cardiff FFS. He was shit scared of losing same as always.

Guest Roger Kint

He doesn't necessarily have to rest players to not be taking the competition seriously. I've got no doubt whatsoever that he'll have been drumming it into the players all week that the game isn't that important, just make sure you don't get injured etc. He's been doing it in the press so God knows what he's said in private.

It's not coincidence that the four FA Cup defeats under him have been embarrassing in terms of effort and tempo - we want to win but only if we can do so at walking pace and as a non-contract sport - in other words, we don't want to win. I'd say the same goes for his League Cup efforts too tbh.

Another thing is that I find the phoney injuries he cooks up (Coloccini and Cisse last year, Cabaye and Krul this time) absolutely insulting.

If he really wanted to be out of the FA Cup, why not give some of the fringe players a run out then? Cabaye was out so he could have started Marveaux or someone similar to provide the missing creativity. Instead he went with his favourite tactic of two defensive midfielders at home to Cardiff FFS. He was shit scared of losing same as always.

If he really wanted to go out why on earth would he play Gouff over Sammy when he needed a rest?

There's a rabbit off somewhere as far as Marveaux's concerned.

Was Obertan actually booed on? I don't normally agree with booing our own players but I fucking hate him and he shouldn't be near our team.

He was unfortunately, right after we scored too which made it even worse tbh. Bang out of order, as poor as he undoubtedly is, booing the bloke achieves precisely fuck all and makes us look like fucking arseholes imo.

Spot on. He got handshakes pats and high 5s offevery player he passed on the way on as he loiked visibly upet by it. Wasn't just a small minority booing either.

The logic of booing your own players during a game, especially as they are just coming on is completely lost on me. It isn't a fucking pantomime! Apart from being a shit footballer (which he clearly can't help) he hasn't done anything wrong, he hasn't brought himself on. What is the point?

The other players won't be happy seeing their team mate being booed, an already poor/low on confidence player is going to feel even worse, we generally look like a bunch of twats.

Players always go on about the crowd being behind them and how they want to pay them back, why are they going to put that bit more effort in for a bunch of morons who have just booed their mate and fellow player?

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face, hope the precious wankers at least felt a little better about life.

Guest neesy111

What I don't understand is that Pardew would become a true club legend if he won a cup, surely that means more?

Ha!

He'd still be a cunt and you know it.

If it meant me celebrating seeing my team win a cup he could be the biggest cunt going.

That's my point, would he be a club legend?

First manager to win a cup in a horrific amount of years, of course he would.

Not buying that sorry.

What an absolute load of horseshit.  I'd worship the next manager for a few years if he won us a cup.

The logic of booing your own players during a game, especially as they are just coming on is completely lost on me. It isn't a f***ing pantomime! Apart from being a s*** footballer (which he clearly can't help) he hasn't done anything wrong, he hasn't brought himself on. What is the point?

The other players won't be happy seeing their team mate being booed, an already poor/low on confidence player is going to feel even worse, we generally look like a bunch of t***s.

Players always go on about the crowd being behind them and how they want to pay them back, why are they going to put that bit more effort in for a bunch of morons who have just booed their mate and fellow player?

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face, hope the precious w*****s at least felt a little better about life.

As I said before a player who walked out of the  club six days before (something I would of been sacked for in my job) totally deserved in my opinion and for you to call people wankers for doing it is just totally wrong. I agree with not booing performances but if you stick your 2 fingers up by walking away the same as Cabaye did at the start of the season then sorry but you deserve it.

The logic of booing your own players during a game, especially as they are just coming on is completely lost on me. It isn't a f***ing pantomime! Apart from being a s*** footballer (which he clearly can't help) he hasn't done anything wrong, he hasn't brought himself on. What is the point?

The other players won't be happy seeing their team mate being booed, an already poor/low on confidence player is going to feel even worse, we generally look like a bunch of t***s.

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face, hope the precious w*****s at least felt a little better about life.

As I said before a player who walked out of the  club six days before (something I would of been sacked for in my job) totally deserved in my opinion and for you to call people wankers for doing it is just totally wrong. I agree with not booing performances but if you stick your 2 fingers up by walking away the same as Cabaye did at the start of the season then sorry but you deserve it.

Was it ever confirmed why he left btw?

As I said before a player who walked out of the  club six days before (something I would of been sacked for in my job) totally deserved in my opinion and for you to call people w*****s for doing it is just totally wrong. I agree with not booing performances but if you stick your 2 fingers up by walking away the same as Cabaye did at the start of the season then sorry but you deserve it.

Becasue he wasn't on the bench still no excuse

As I said before a player who walked out of the  club six days before (something I would of been sacked for in my job) totally deserved in my opinion and for you to call people w*****s for doing it is just totally wrong. I agree with not booing performances but if you stick your 2 fingers up by walking away the same as Cabaye did at the start of the season then sorry but you deserve it.

Was that ever confirmed?

Point still stands though, it is pantomime and does nothing to help the team, just helps precious people feel a little bit better about themselves.

Was that ever confirmed?

Point still stands though, it is pantomime and does nothing to help the team, just helps precious people feel a little bit better about themselves.

The club don't confirm but your saying the countless articles were incorrect. As I said that is your opinion but to call people names for doing this is a bit childish to be honest as they have an opinion also and every right to express it

The press said Marveaux stormed out in similar circumstances when his daughter had actually taken ill. I wouldn't treat what the say as gospel.

I'm quite sure in those circumstances the club would have stated the for reason this but there was not one word from the club correcting these stories

genuine question (might have been referenced earlier in the thread, have not read every page)  - I have been living overseas for 15 years so maybe this is obvious for a local but ...

why was the attendance so poor? why does the FA cup knock 20K people off the crowd figures? Its not just us ... but is there so little interest in the cup? it cannot be due to the opposition (such a big reduction)

is it that its not included in the season ticket? Do people pay a lot of 19 home games, but not the 30 quid for a cup home game? is it something else?

is it that its not included in the season ticket? Do people pay a lot of 19 home games, but not the 30 quid for a cup home game?

Pretty much this plus:

- weakened teams

- likely to be a shite atmosphere

- knowing it's not going to be full & that it'll be 'cup crowd' types

I expected those who have not got a season ticket to make up the numbers but I guess the days of long queues\waiting for seasons tickets have gone

surprised clubs do not give discounts to season tickets holders, get them in for a fiver or something .... get a full house, has to make sense surely... (maybe not, policing costs...)

genuine question (might have been referenced earlier in the thread, have not read every page)  - I have been living overseas for 15 years so maybe this is obvious for a local but ...

why was the attendance so poor? why does the FA cup knock 20K people off the crowd figures? Its not just us ... but is there so little interest in the cup? it cannot be due to the opposition (such a big reduction)

is it that its not included in the season ticket? Do people pay a lot of 19 home games, but not the 30 quid for a cup home game? is it something else?

I didn't go because I don't think the club are bothered about the cups so why should I waste my time turning up to watch us?  The ticket price doesn't come into it as far as I'm concerned and the same goes for my season ticket, I'd rather pay more to watch a good team.

I expected those who have not got a season ticket to make up the numbers but I guess the days of long queues\waiting for seasons tickets have gone

surprised clubs do not give discounts to season tickets holders, get them in for a fiver or something .... get a full house, has to make sense surely... (maybe not, policing costs...)

I wouldn't have gone yesterday if they'd paid me to go.