Other clubs' transfers

TBG

A step up for Sterling only leaves 2-3 clubs though. I could be wrong but I can't see him going to sit on the bench at Man City etc., maybe he is maintaining the status quo by keeping Man City a top club but he'd be doing it with his talent on the pitch. Someone has to play for the top teams.

Our squad is littered with players who could've stuck with their clubs instead of taking the first ticket the the PL gravy train. Should we call Perez a twat for that?

He already does.

Were Tenerife a game away from winning La Liga last year?

A step up for Sterling only leaves 2-3 clubs though. I could be wrong but I can't see him going to sit on the bench at Man City etc., maybe he is maintaining the status quo by keeping Man City a top club but he'd be doing it with his talent on the pitch. Someone has to play for the top teams.

Our squad is littered with players who could've stuck with their clubs instead of taking the first ticket the the PL gravy train. Should we call Perez a t*** for that?

He already does.

What difference does it make? The had goals to achieve and Perez could've helped them.

I don't see how Sterling is obligated to stay with Liverpool because he helped the club come close to the title. I don't see how its different to Suarez leaving. Fact of the matter is, with or without Sterling, Liverpool aren't going to challenge for the title in the next couple of years IMO and probably Sterling's opinion. There's loads of Liverpool fans who even think they aren't showing enough ambition, rightly or wrongly.

Like I've said, someone will have to explain the circumstances when Sterling can leave. If Liverpool finish 10th in the next two seasons will he have everyone's blessing to leave?

And the 'top teams' was in reference to Dave, who said himself there's a status quo of 2-3 teams.

The regular top 4. :anguish: Two of whom bought their way there in the most cynical way possible and now exclude one of the biggest clubs in Europe; a club that missed out on the title last season by two points. Isn't this what we're always complaining about when people say NUFC are 'where they should be', and that we can't demand more because we've not won anything in yonks?

Ah fuck this. Football is so broken.

:lol: Time to help Dave pick an NFL team.

Also: Playoffs.

:lol: Dave's got Kansas City Chiefs written all over him. For no particular reason.

If Sterling signs for Man City he's be their 3rd best attacking player after Aguero and Silva. He's not doing a Scott Sinclair ffs

He'll be at West Ham/West Brom/Swansea within two years. He's not that good. He's scored 7 league goals this season. Jack Colback's got 4 ffs.

:lol: tad hyperbolic

If Sterling signs for Man City he's be their 3rd best attacking player after Aguero and Silva. He's not doing a Scott Sinclair ffs

He'll be at West Ham/West Brom/Swansea within two years. He's not that good. He's scored 7 league goals this season. Jack Colback's got 4 ffs.

Obviously that's ridiculous, like. He's not Wayne Rooney but he's certainly not Scott Sinclair either.

It is, but so is touting Raheem Sterling to start and play regularly for the likes of Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. He really isn't that good. I'm saying it again because i'm just baffled. He isn't that good!

Our squad is littered with players who could've stuck with their clubs instead of taking the first ticket the the PL gravy train. Should we call Perez a t*** for that?

He already does.

What difference does it make? The had goals to achieve and Perez could've helped them.

I don't see how Sterling is obligated to stay with Liverpool because he helped the club come close to the title. I don't see how its different to Suarez leaving. Fact of the matter is, with or without Sterling, Liverpool aren't going to challenge for the title in the next couple of years IMO and probably Sterling's opinion. There's loads of Liverpool fans who even think they aren't showing enough ambition, rightly or wrongly.

Like I've said, someone will have to explain the circumstances when Sterling can leave. If Liverpool finish 10th in the next two seasons will he have everyone's blessing to leave?

And the 'top teams' was in reference to Dave, who said himself there's a status quo of 2-3 teams.

Maybe he should wait until there's a bid in for him from another club? It's this "I want out because I'm too good for you" that I can't stand. He had an FA Cup semi final, a Champions League campaign (in a group with Ludogorets and Basel) and a Europa League campaign this year, and he did absolutely fuck all in any of them. So he's decided he wants Silva and Aguero to do it all for him. Hopefully only Spurs or Southampton will stick a bid in for him and he'll have to either go there or sulk.

It is, but so is touting Raheem Sterling to start and play regularly for the likes of Real Madrid or Bayern Munich. He really isn't that good. I'm saying it again because i'm just baffled. He isn't that good!

Well clearly he's not starting for either of those clubs, but who says those are the clubs he's gunning for? He'd start for City, Arsenal, ManU, and arguably Chelsea (Mourinho would probably turn him into a Willian though), and all four of those clubs are title contenders or at least more legitimate challengers than Liverpool.

I just can't be mad at the guy for wanting to better his chances of winning something. Nothing is guaranteed in this game and these days club loyalty is only for mediocre players who don't have a chance of moving upwards. It's shit, I wish it weren't that way, but it is.

Maybe it'll backfire on him, maybe he's just 20 years old and an idiot. But Suarez-less Liverpool is not a title contender, plain and simple.

And I repeat, yet again, fuck Liverpool. This is clearly a blow for them, especially with their shoddy transfer record.

The way he's gone about it is daft and disrespectful, I'd be pissed off with him if I were a Liverpool fan. He should have kept his mouth shut until the end of the season then quietly said he wants to leave if a decent offer comes in. He;s going to have a rough ride next year if Liverpool play hardball and no one matches the fee they want.

But I don't have any problem with him actually wanting to leave. Whatever Liverpool's past, I don't think anyone can realistically argue that he's not more likely to challenge for major honours, improve his own game in the CL and be around better players with someone like City.

Don't get the 'he should stay at Liverpool where he's guaranteed to play' angle, he'd likely start most games for City and he should have the confidence to back himself to do so, and go on to be a main player for them, not worry that he won't step up to the plate and so not even attempt to.

There's clearly more incentive than just money for hm to leave.

If I'm not mistaken it was Rodgers that first highlighted the contract talks where he basically said we have offered him loads of money, it was his way of putting pressure on Sterling and almost force him to sign BUT that didn't happen, we then got Sterling defending his position as everyone thought he was being greedy. It coming out in public is very much Rodgers doing, there wasn't any need for him to say anything and it could have been left until the end of the season

As for Sterling wanting to leave, if it's because he wants to consistently challenge for titles then that is fair enough. Liverpool are not going to seriously challenge year after year

He doesn't owe Liverpool anything, they took him from QPR with the lure of money and playing for a "better" club and Liverpool certainly can't complain if he moves on for the same reason

If I'm not mistaken it was Rodgers that first highlighted the contract talks where he basically said we have offered him loads of money, it was his way of putting pressure on Sterling and almost force him to sign BUT that didn't happen, we then got Sterling defending his position as everyone thought he was being greedy. It coming out in public is very much Rodgers doing, there wasn't any need for him to say anything and it could have been left until the end of the season

As for Sterling wanting to leave, if it's because he wants to consistently challenge for titles then that is fair enough. Liverpool are not going to seriously challenge year after year

He doesn't owe Liverpool anything, they took him from QPR with the lure of money and playing for a "better" club and Liverpool certainly can't complain if he moves on for the same reason

:thup:

He already does.

Rightly or wrongly that's what happens in football. Always has, this isn't new. Alonso, Torres, Mascherano, Suarez...ok so the second on the list flunked, but they never saw Liverpool as one of the elite. They were a good platform to perform and then sign for 'a club with more chance of winning the title'.

Same is happening with Sterling now. He has faith in his ability clearly, he will more than likely be a regular starter at 'a team with more talented players than Liverpool have', why should he feel pressured into signing a bigger contract at Liverpool?

Think you and Dave are being pedantic as f*** to be honest. 'Better club', 'club with a better chance of winning things'. f*** sake man.

Club whose owner happens to have a load of oil money you mean then. I don't agree with the use of the word 'better' in that context. Man City and Chelsea are a cancer on football.

Newcastle are in the state they are because of exactly this attitude that English football is dripping with from top to bottom, that money is all that matters and that the only way to be successful in football is to try and stand next to the richest kid in the park. Sad to see some of our fans are so happy to see it perpetuated.

Don't agree at all. Without the 'oil money' we were at the stage where Man Utd & Arsenal were pulling away from everyone, Liverpool were finishing 3rd/5th by default, and you had the occasional challenger who might threaten top 4 but could never sustain it. Without that money you'd have that closed shop that Dave mentioned where realistically you'd have 2 teams who could win the title. Can't help but think if this was a 20 year old at Spurs being linked with Liverpool, which for me is where Liverpool are in relation to the '4 rich clubs' there'd not be this furore. Seems just because a kid has more ambition than their beloved Liverpool that the media are kicking up a fuss.

As long as Sterling keeps performing for Liverpool in case he's denied a move this summer, and doesn't go on strike or starts suffering mysterious injuries, I don't see what's wrong in him wanting a move to a bigger club. He's just a worker - and one with a really short career at that - we all want to move to bigger companies.

Exactly. The hate for him is irrational because everyone on here would accept a better paying, better benefits job in a flash.

If the hate is about which clubs he ends up playing for then that's caused by the system in football today, things like allowing loans and buybacks and all crazy clauses that only benefits the big clubs.

Don't hate on the one little guy who has maybe 10 years to earn 99% of his career earnings. I hope Sterling gets 200k/week at City.

The money in the game isn't the problem, it's the lack of competition and opportunity for competition that's the problem. No one minds rich people in society as long as anyone can get rich if they work hard enough and are smart enough. The system in football today prevents competition at the very top, and that's why it sucks for fans of smaller clubs.

The money in the game isn't the problem, it's the lack of competition and opportunity for competition that's the problem. No one minds rich people in society as long as anyone can get rich if they work hard enough and are smart enough. The system in football today prevents competition at the very top, and that's why it sucks for fans of smaller clubs.

The system that prevents competition is the likes of Sterling jumping ship because he doesn't turn up when it matters so he needs someone else to get him medals.

Don't hate on the one little guy who has maybe 10 years to earn 99% of his career earnings. I hope Sterling gets 200k/week at City.

This is so unbelievably crass that it makes my stomach churn.

This is so unbelievably crass that it makes my stomach churn.

Better that players get paid than owners like Ashley pocket profits year after year. The players are the ones who people go to watch, the owners of the club are just the guys with money who bought the clubs.

No wonder England are so poor. The mentality of these players at such a young age is apalling.

Hang on a second. Let's not pretend this is unique to England. Isco to Real Madrid, Sergio Ramos to Real Madrid off the top of my head. This isn't a Moses, Sinclair, Rodwell, generic flavour of the month type.

The system that prevents competition is the likes of Sterling jumping ship because he doesn't turn up when it matters so he needs someone else to get him medals.

Yes and no. He's going because City are the better team for him, but that's because City have tons of players on loan and they exploit other rules that make it harder for Liverpool and Spurs and Arsenal to overtake them. Fix the system and guys like Sinclair and Rodwell will stop going to them, and then English players might actually develop instead of being on the bench of the best teams to fulfill a quota.

That quota thing is ridiculous too, it's basically raised demand of English players so a lot of the good ones are stuck on the bench at City and Chelsea.