Clément Grenier

LRD

This is only our third season back in the premier league. I didn't expect us to be challenging for a champions league spot and we're not. Ho-hum.

Genuinely thick as f***.

Unnecessary.

Well start making sense then. What has the length of time we've been in the league got to do with where we can be finishing?

If we kept Cabaye and signed another striker and a left winger earlier on in the window I see no reason why we couldn't challenge for a Champions League place? We're 9 points off 4th now and were 6 points off at the start of January.

Because it takes time to build a quality squad, unless you're spending tons of money which we never will. And on your way up you'll have players poached, which sets back the process once again. People are frustrated because they feel we're not that far away. I don't rate our players as highly as some do and basically think we are where we should be give or take a couple of places. I'm not thrilled about where we are obviously, but I'm not going to be spending all my time following Newcastle in a never ending rage either. This is meant to be enjoyable!

We are where we should be give or take a couple of places? Based on what exactly? Ah yes, the level of "ambition" that is very much the reason for all this anguish. The fact is you and a few other posters on here have just allowed yourselves to be led down the garden path of accepting mediocrity, not even trying to be the best we possibly can. You're right, this is meant to be enjoyable, but it hasn't been for years and years. A once proud football club aiming for the stars has been slowly but surely turned into a profit making advertising vehicle without any competitive ambition. This mentality spits straight in the face of such legendary figures as Sir Bobby Robson and Kevin Keegan who didn't accept such artificial, self imposed restrictions, but who saw the potential of this football club and genuinely had it performing at the highest level. We are where we should be give or take? Give over..

Very well said!  :clap:

We are where we should be give or take a couple of places? Based on what exactly?

Based on money basically.

Based on the money we are spending we are doing fantastically well, I'd agree. The problem is we have spent -38 million on transfers since Ashley came in. MINUS 38 million! To be in the top end of the table is no less than a miracle considering how we're being bled dry. Which leads to the simple conclusion our scouting is doing extremely well. Such a shame we have a billionaire owner who is unwilling to spend some money, not even money generated by the club itself. Imagine where we could be with a little bit of ambition, a little bit of trust in the scouting team and a little bit of investment in the squad and in a decent manager. We could be challenging up there, no doubt. We just choose not too. Indefensible from a fan's perspective, yet here you are, posting like a lunatic all day long on deadline telling people off who are understandably venting their frustration.

We are where we should be give or take a couple of places? Based on what exactly?

Based on the money we are spending we are doing fantastically well, I'd agree. The problem is we have spent -38 million on transfers since Ashley came in. MINUS 38 million! To be in the top end of the table is no less than a miracle considering how we're being bled dry. Which leads to the simple conclusion our scouting is doing extremely well. Such a shame we have a billionaire owner who is unwilling to spend some money, not even money generated by the club itself. Imagine where we could be with a little bit of ambition, a little bit of trust in the scouting team and a little bit of investment in the squad and in a decent manager. We could be challenging up there, no doubt. We just choose not too. Indefensible from a fan's perspective, yet here you are, posting like a lunatic all day long on deadline telling people off who are understandably venting their frustration.

:thup:

I agree it would be nice if he would spend some of his own money, but unless the accounts show year-on-year profits I can't see how he isn't spending the money we generate.

I agree a football club should reinvest all its profits, but we haven't really made any.

Transfer deadline day, afternoon rage session.

:lol:

:lol: It's kicking off like, Interpolic-style meltdowns all over the shop.

When gifs arrive, we have reached full on transfer meltdown.  :lol: :lol:

:( I wish I'd never took a half day now. Less stressful at work.

You took a days annual leave for transfer deadline day ?  Id be emailing ashley asking for him to pay for your days holiday. the kernt.

You took a days annual leave for transfer deadline day ?  Id be emailing ashley asking for him to pay for your days holiday. the kernt.

Nah, just despise working Friday afternoons and they owed me 4 hours.

I agree it would be nice if he would spend some of his own money, but unless the accounts show year-on-year profits I can't see how he isn't spending the money we generate.

I agree a football club should reinvest all its profits, but we haven't really made any.

Even if he spent £60 Million we'd likely be around where we are now in the league, given:

Chelsea & Man City have near unlimited funds

Spurs had the Bale money.

Liverpool have a billionaire owner willing to spend plus cheapest season ticket £710

Arsenal, cheapest ticket for most games £60

Man Utd 75,000 average plus large global glory seeking fan base.

You must have missed our last two sets of accounts, where we did post profits, and the new TV deal, plus maybe the Cabaye transfer a couple of days back?

Even if he spent £60 Million we'd likely be around where we are now in the league, given:

Chelsea & Man City have near unlimited funds

Spurs had the Bale money.

Liverpool have a billionaire owner willing to spend plus cheapest season ticket £710

Arsenal, cheapest ticket for most games £60

Man Utd 75,000 average plus large global glory seeking fan base.

There is that, but I didn't want to bring it up.

What did you expect?

Nothing. As above I didn't take time off for deadline day, just happens there isn't much to do this afternoon but get frustrated at the tossers running our football club.

You must have missed our last two sets of accounts, where we did post profits, and the new TV deal, plus maybe the Cabaye transfer a couple of days back?

Yeah, small profits though, and the Cabaye money doesn't go directly into profit either. And we don't have the TV money yet.

I agree though, if we continue to post regular profits then we should be reinvesting it.