Chelsea 3 - 0 Newcastle United - 08/02/14 - Post-match reaction from page 27

Dave

Not that bad? We looked like we knew we were losing before the match started man.  Which honestly is the worst.

So were we terrible then?

Rancid.

Positives: Sammy and De Jong had some nice touches but will do nothing but become Cisse with a team that gives him zero service.

I've just used rancid and hadn't read your post.  :lol:

I know what the score says but before we jump to judgment, wait until you see Sissoko and Marveaux's chances... Heartbreaking. Fair score would have been about 4 or 5 2.

Oh that would have been loads better. :laugh:

Can't believe how many people I've seen say we played well. We did nothing ffs. We turned up purely to exist. We made a couple of decent chances but there's no way we were ever getting anything from that game. We were beaten at KO.

Not our worst performance but probably the most depressing one.

The malaise surrounding the club is palpable. It virtually oozes out of the pores of every player on the pitch. There is nothing to play for, no one capable of giving the team something to play for, no leadership on the pitch and certainly none off it.

It is a slow slide to the inevitable lower mid-table finish and to whatever awaits us in the summer. Players aren't motivated, why on earth would the supporters be? This is the inevitable end to the argument that mere existence in the glory of the Premier League should be our only hope. We have it, and for what? To have weekly confirmations on the pitch that we exist merely to make up the numbers in the world's richest league? What supporter wouldn't get excited about that?

This season has made me less angry than just sad.

Can't believe how many people I've seen say we played well. We did nothing ffs. We turned up purely to exist. We made a couple of decent chances but there's no way we were ever getting anything from that game. We were beaten at KO.

Apt.

Guest BenArfa10

John Anderson just said Remy is back for Wednesday but I thought he was still banned for one more game?

Still in 8th place :indi:

John Anderson doesn't have a clue man. Same as Mick Lowes. The guy's commentary every match consists of 'Krul rolls it out to Santon who plays it in turn to Taylor, onto Williamson, he moves it onto Debuchy', said in the most dull, unimaginative and montone fashion I've ever heard . I don't know what's going on in a match listening to him bar who's on the ball. We'll have the ball, lose it and he'll still be talking about fucking Sissoko holding it up in the corner whilst fecking Jason Roberts or some other fecking is sticking in the back of our net. The other guy on their is much better, Matt Raisbeck is it? Only remember him commentating on our 2-0 away win to Reading in the Championship but he was miles better than Ando and Fat Mick.

Anyway regarding our current affairs after this match erm well it was nice having a + goal difference for a little bit wasn't it.

Sammy was the only one who looked up to much today. De Jong looked decent enough to suggest he'll do okay when Gouffran, Remy etc come back. Dummett didn't disgrace himself and Santon was good on the ball but shit without it.

Otherwise, the performances ranged from 'meh' to fucking terrible.

Chelsea weren't even out of 2nd gear all game as well.

We were utter s***, as per.

Same shit I've been saying.

Guest DebuchyAndTheBeast

Thought santon was alright tbh

image.jpg

FFS just thought Santon doesn't look anything like him. Then I got the joke.  :jesuswept:

Passenger ?

Honestly, Chelsea are very impressive right now. I'm not unhappy with the result too much. They have a full squad now, strong XI, strong bench, strong philosophy. Without doubt favourites for the title, and a striker away from being fairly dominant. Hazard is turning into the player I thought he would become after leaving Lille. Strong/fast, intelligent passer/mover, incredibly skillful, and a good finisher.  So, I am not necessarily in agreement with the vast negativity. If Newcastle approached the first half last Sunday, the way they did the first half here, things definitely go differently and they don't get embarrassed.

The players selected today didn't fit the plan at all, imo. We were trying to sit back and absorb pressure, but the personnel was wrong. Sammy Ameobi and Ben Arfa just are not wide players that are going to provide very much from deep. Neither of them have any idea of how to defend, and neither has the lungs and physical attributes to make themselves a dangerous weapon when they receive the ball 15 yards into their own half. HBA was atrocious in our own half, but alright in Chelsea's. I thought he would score when Azpilicueta let him cut inside that one time. On form, he probably does. Sammy is very talented in terms of running at defenders with his languid style and skills, but not much else at this point. Hopefully, it comes because he is a prospect.

Tiote and Cabaye's physicality was definitely missing in midfield as well. I understand that Anita played as a holding player in Holland and is comfortable there, but he is a different species compared to what Chelsea have in front of their defence with Matic, Mikel, Luiz, Lampard, and even Ramires, all physically strong and competitive players. He can't compete in the air, and is brushed aside too easily. Like most of Pardew's players, he is better when the team is on the front foot, which they rarely are under Pardew. So it goes.

Santon in midfield was actually very interesting, and I was quite impressed when he had the ball at his feet. Composed, fairly intelligent, and I don't recall him losing it once. Easily our most progressive player in the centre, and played a perfect ball to Sissoko that should have resulted in an equaliser if the Frenchman had any guile about him. Unfortunately, he doesn't know how to defend as a central player, and this was not an occasion to learn. Caught too many times following a man and vacating dangerous spaces, committed himself too much, and didn't recognise danger quick enough (especially for the goal, which stemmed from him committing too early on Hazard and then losing him). Still, he was decent, imo.

I like De Jong. He's not at all physically explosive, which is a problem, but has enough about him to be dangerous. The first two matches have been the wrong ones for a new player. Look forward to seeing him in different ones. Back five was fine I suppose, except for Yanga's idiocy and Krul's slip. Nothing remarkable.