Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I thought Colback had good miles ran/workrate stats?

It doesn't make much difference how long or hard you run if you are doing it slower than your opponent. He couldn't get anywhere near N'zonzi against Stoke for example, because N'zonzi was just far too quick. What difference does it make if he jogged around for a bit longer?

No doubt Colback's 'Km run' or whatever looks very high, the problem is he never does it to any effect.

He's such a passenger at times its unreal, speaking strictly defensively he either stays out of the way when the other side is on the attack (hes an expert at this) or goes in half hearted and clips whoever breezes past him like hes not there.

In terms of his actual passing its decent and crisp enough when its backwards or sidewards but he neither has the vision nor the passing range to execute anything resembling a cutting through ball or an inventive cross field pass etc...

You will notice whenever he does execute a decent through ball its usually a deflection, a bobble or just sheer luck that takes it through to the forward man, every now and then he does pop up with a decent ball though, and his long range shooting is one of the best in the squad, which is more of a damning statement of how poor 90% of our team is at shooting in general.

He is so popular at the club and the average fan loves him mainly because he never makes any glaring mistakes and the perceived geordie passion that he has, both can be explained by the fact that he never attempts anything remotely out of the ordinary to risk making a mistake and personally I don't see this "passion" everyone speaks of, has the occasional moan at the ref, but apart from that what does he do but back keep out of the way and lay the ball off?

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on football but that's how I see it, and generally when you ask anyone what's good about him, they can't give you a straight answer other than hes "solid" or "tidy" or "got good work rate"

Fuck that.

Pretty well summed up. Also once he's passed it, you never see him making a move forward for the return pass, he just stops and thinks job done. His movement is generally negative which would be fine if he was an out and out defensive midfielder, but since he's usually playing alongside a defensive midfielder in Anita or Tiote, I'm not sure what his role is.

I don't hate him as much as I hate the fact that he was a nailed on starter. I'd give him less stick if he was treated in the same way some of our other players are treated. You can almost guarantee that he wouldn't be dropped no matter how awful his form was. That's the worrying thing for me.

He's such a passenger at times its unreal, speaking strictly defensively he either stays out of the way when the other side is on the attack (hes an expert at this) or goes in half hearted and clips whoever breezes past him like hes not there.

In terms of his actual passing its decent and crisp enough when its backwards or sidewards but he neither has the vision nor the passing range to execute anything resembling a cutting through ball or an inventive cross field pass etc...

You will notice whenever he does execute a decent through ball its usually a deflection, a bobble or just sheer luck that takes it through to the forward man, every now and then he does pop up with a decent ball though, and his long range shooting is one of the best in the squad, which is more of a damning statement of how poor 90% of our team is at shooting in general.

He is so popular at the club and the average fan loves him mainly because he never makes any glaring mistakes and the perceived geordie passion that he has, both can be explained by the fact that he never attempts anything remotely out of the ordinary to risk making a mistake and personally I don't see this "passion" everyone speaks of, has the occasional moan at the ref, but apart from that what does he do but back keep out of the way and lay the ball off?

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on football but that's how I see it, and generally when you ask anyone what's good about him, they can't give you a straight answer other than hes "solid" or "tidy" or "got good work rate"

f*** that.

Well written post. I'm not 100% agreeing with it, but you do make some valid points. Much better post than just calling him a f***ing ginger c***.

I'm not convinced Colback is good enough for a 2 man centre midfield, but I certainly think he can be useful for in a 3 man centre midfield, and he can play full-back if we have bad injury crisis.

I just feel we've got more pressing issues (getting rid of Wilko, Gouffran has to be No.1 priority).

We still need more strength in CB and up front, and ideally on the wing.

I don't hate him as much as I hate the fact that he was a nailed on starter. I'd give him less stick if he was treated in the same way some of our other players are treated. You can almost guarantee that he wouldn't be dropped no matter how awful his form was. That's the worrying thing for me.

:thup:

I thought Colback had good miles ran/workrate stats?

It doesn't make much difference how long or hard you run if you are doing it slower than your opponent. He couldn't get anywhere near N'zonzi against Stoke for example, because N'zonzi was just far too quick. What difference does it make if he jogged around for a bit longer?

It was more the "poor engine", I was picking up on. If he was running alot of miles, that would suggest his engine is fine.

That doesn't mean he is contributing on the pitch mind.

I would agree with most of that. Although out of our central midfielders  besides the new lads - he's most likely to play an incisive pass. He's by no means good at it but among the best we have.

I think the same generally applies for Anita too, and he receives half the stick on here.

I hope under McClaren the hiding stops. Although I think a large part of it is down to both of them struggling to get around the pitch in the same way YoCabs would struggle.

The difference is that Anita is a defensive midfielder that is supposed to be recycling possession and he does a far better job of constantly showing for the ball and continuing to move into space when he is not in possession. When defending Anita pressures the opposition far more effectively like he is supposed to.

Colback is not a DM and so he should not constantly sit as deep as he does right next to Anita. He also shouldn't get the ball and continuously give it back to Anita, or even worse go back to the defenders, which he constantly does. He also does not press the opposition anywhere near as effectively.

Rubbish player. How we ever allowed him to score against us really is beyond me. More evidence of the hopelessness of Pardew.

I would agree with most of that. Although out of our central midfielders  besides the new lads - he's most likely to play an incisive pass. He's by no means good at it but among the best we have.

I think the same generally applies for Anita too, and he receives half the stick on here.

I hope under McClaren the hiding stops. Although I think a large part of it is down to both of them struggling to get around the pitch in the same way YoCabs would struggle.

The difference is that Anita is a defensive midfielder that is supposed to be recycling possession and he does a far better job of constantly showing for the ball and continuing to move into space when he is not in possession. When defending Anita pressures the opposition far more effectively like he is supposed to.

9 games out of 10 this is not true for Anita. And that stats back it up. When he's in the team i'm pretty sure he tends to make less pass attempts than Colback.

Defensively Anita is often awful. Anita hides just as much as Colback.

It's not about hiding tbh, it's not he positions himself a lot better as the holding midfielder as it's his natural position. Colback on the other hand often acts like he's playing as a B2B midfielder and leaves massive holes for opposition to exploit.

There's just a lot more balance both defensively and offensively with Anita because he plays his role properly allowing the others to do the same.

Anita has largely been useless. He doesn't protect the back 4 well at all. The Soton game was one of the most invisible DM performances i've ever seen. Made Ward-Prowse look like prime Mesut Ozil in finding space.

Who did he play with? because that's important when discussing him, every time i have seen him alongside Sissoko for example he looks good because he actually just plays his role and allows Sissoko to push on. When he's alongside Colback both of them try to be something they are not and they both look like crap.

Thus why i believe he would look good alongside Wijnaldum because he doesn't need to involve himself in the attacking duties and by doing so he can protect the back 4 a lot better.

Anita is a better footballer than Colback but doesn't show it very often. He has a game once in a while where he looks like a very very good player(last game of last season, also remember him being brilliant when we beat Chelsea a couple of seasons ago) but generally he doesn't show it while Colback is a consistent but unspectacular performer

Anita is a better footballer than Colback but doesn't show it very often. He has a game once in a while where he looks like a very very good player(last game of last season, also remember him being brilliant when we beat Chelsea a couple of seasons ago) but generally he doesn't show it while Colback is a consistent but unspectacular performer

I agree but my point is Colback doesn't play the position very well IMO, Anita actually can that's the difference. Either way i'd like an upgrade in that position but i'd much rather see someone who plays the role properly rather than someone who doesn't play the role properly.

Why are we discussing Colback as a holding DM? Don't we have Tiote? Anita is far better, albeit kinda useless (physically) in that position and much better than Colback as mentioned, due to him roaming like a mofo.

If we actually put down 1 holding DM, whomever it may be, the partner could be Gini and problem solved most likely.

He has a game once in a while where he looks like a very very good player(last game of last season, also remember him being brilliant when we beat Chelsea a couple of seasons ago) but generally he doesn't show it while Colback is a consistent but unspectacular performer

I would agree with this.

Haha.

Typical Colback. Positionally all over the place. A lot of running. Disappointing play. Class block.

You can add hiding behind opposition players and continually picking the simplest (sideways or backwards) pass to the list.

Sick of the sight of him, tbh.