Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I'd prefer Anita covering the back 4 over Colback like, but that's why we need a new midfielder. I've never been sold on Sissoko's ability to play deep but apparently he was mint at it in France?

Yes, ultimately we need just one of them in there. It's painful watching them both side by side.

Colback has to then take the blame more, because he is not supposed to be a holding mid, so not sure why he is so negative.

I'd prefer Anita covering the back 4 over Colback like, but that's why we need a new midfielder. I've never been sold on Sissoko's ability to play deep but apparently he was mint at it in France?

The thing about Anita covering the back 4 is he can actually tackle. With Colback the ball's been and gone long before he lunges in with a pashun challenge.

The thing about Anita covering the back 4 is he can actually tackle. With Colback the ball's been and gone long before he lunges in with a pashun challenge.

I hope Anita  plays a much bigger role under SM this season. Our midfield was so disjointed last season and all a bit of a mess, if SM finds a good balance and style with Wijnaldum/De Jong, Anita would revel in the role sitting behind them imo.

Guest reefatoon

And you think Anita will solve that? He is as shite as the rest of them, there is absolutely no way Anita is going to make a difference to our midfield. He doesn't do nearly enough to make a difference. Good to have your nonsense back on here though Brett, you have been a miss!

And you think Anita will solve that? He is as shite as the rest of them, there is absolutely no way Anita is going to make a difference to our midfield. He doesn't do nearly enough to make a difference. Good to have your nonsense back on here though Brett, you have been a miss!

Well I think I agree with Kaka, Anita is only useful if he's the ONLY defensive midfielder. When you put him alongside Tiote or Colback they just end up getting in each other's way, but that is how the dream team of Pards & Charver lined them up.

Playing in a system that suits him along with players he knows well would absolutely benefit him as a player. He's so undervalued because many of his performances have been poor, but playing hoofball with Vurnon Anita in your team is really just going to be like Peter Crouch and Lacina Traore playing piggy in the middle with Verne Troyer.

Guest reefatoon

I just don't really buy into the hype he gets . It is all if's and but's with him.  I just don't rate players that have to have other or specific players around them for them to make a difference (which he still doesn't really).  He needs to start showing something radically different for me to put him out of the category of bang average midfielders, like the majority we have. If we could replace him with someone who offers more than just something tidy (hate that word for a midfielder, as so much more is needed) then I would be all for it. I just don't see him being any kind of answer off past performances.

I just don't really buy into the hype he gets . It is all if's and but's with him.  I just don't rate players that have to have other or specific players around them for them to make a difference (which he still doesn't really).  He needs to start showing something radically different for me to put him out of the category of bang average midfielders, like the majority we have. If we could replace him with someone who offers more than just something tidy (hate that word for a midfielder, as so much more is needed) then I would be all for it. I just don't see him being any kind of answer off past performances.

One thing I'm looking forward to this season is seeing how our underperforming players do under the new coaches. Whilst I accept Pardew and his thick mates have a lot to answer for, I don't accept (as quite a few on here seem to) that every player who has played poorly is a direct result of poor coaching and nothing else. I'm hoping the likes of Anita will show a little more this season before we run out of excuses for them.

It depends on what your expectations are of a defensive midfielder. I would have thought his main job is to protect the back 4, break up play and then pass the ball quickly. I think he's got the tools to do that, and he did it brilliantly against West Ham in the final game of the season.

Impressive to be able to do all that running and still be totally off the pace and out of position so you have to get booked all the time.

Similar number of yellows to Wanyama, Matic, Mason, Fabregas etc. It's the nature of the role.

Those players are not out of position as often as Colback is though, well Fabregas might be but he gives you near 20 assists going the other way so who cares really.

I'll leave it there though, it's pretty clear where we all stand on this subject no point repeating it over and over.

Fabregas has a phenomenal team around him and Colback has nowt but drivel either side of him, he was our leading goalscorer from midfield and I'm sure he got more assists than any other midfielder in the team last season too. I'm certainly not trying to say he's a good player and he should start but I find the amount of people absolutely smashing him to pieces on here a bit odd.

Fabregas has a phenomenal team around him and Colback has nowt but drivel either side of him, he was our leading goalscorer from midfield and I'm sure he got more assists than any other midfielder in the team last season too. I'm certainly not trying to say he's a good player and he should start but I find the amount of people absolutely smashing him to pieces on here a bit odd.

Sissoko.

Sissoko.

Yeah, whatever. He got the most fantasy league points last season so gan on Capt. Jack. :la:

We are running to the railroad track

Run along with Captain Jack

Badeedado badeedado, run along with Captain Jack

Run until the peace comes back

Deedado, badeedado, badeedadeedadeedado

Badadadeedado, left right right left

Badadadeedado, run along with Captain Jack

We are running to the railroad track

Badeedado badeedado, run along with Captain Jack

Run until the peace comes back

Badadadeedado, run along with Captain Jack

We are running to the outdoor track

Run around with Captain Jack

Badeedado badeedado, run around with Captain Jack

Run until the ball comes back

Run around with Captain Jack

Badadadeedado, run around with Captain Jack

I know a Captain contributes behind the scenes and obviously we can't really comment on that - because we don't know what goes on in the dressing room or 'extracurricularly' - but I haven't seen a single jot of evidence to suggest he should be our Captain on the pitch. He's an average player; he can pass and move to a basic Premier League standard and might pop up with a goal now and again. I've no burning hatred towards the fact he exists as a Newcastle player... but Captain? Basically guaranteed to start every week? Come on, man. He'd be robbing a place in the side above a player we could sign/a player who might then leave/a player we've got on the fringes.

Sunderland connection or any tactical analysis aside - he doesn't have anywhere near the talent to be one of the first names on the teamsheet. That's the beginning and end when it comes to Colback. My needle on the 'interest-ometer' constantly wobbles between apathetic and vaguely interested these days. Colback confirming his place in the side for the season would do nowt to help.

The FIFA card is surprisingly accurate. Lower rated than pretty much every regular starting midfielder in the league and no stand out stats. If only there was a horrible ginger prick category for him to excel in.