Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I noticed three things this guy did yesterday. The foul on Mane and the two blocks at the end.

Can someone please let me know where he was the remainder of the game? Thanks.

The comparison to Anita makes me sick. Anita constantly made himself available for the ball to start off moves from the back, and constantly pressed and harried the opposition to good effect, without stupid fouls.

I genuinely don't understand what people are watching when they compare the two. But it's okay, we're playing Swansea next. Let's see if the improved build up play we all saw yesterday is still evident if Anita has to miss out.

Bloody ridiculous s*** man.

He did fade yesterday but so did the whole team. His block at the end was excellent though, and I thought his passing kept us ticking over.

And it showed when Tiote came on - the difference is plain to see. Tiote is gone, he is s*** now.

Sometimes I wonder about this Board, because the opinion of people in the stands I speak to, and in the pub is different to on here. People think he is a decent player, maybe not starting all the time, but a useful squad member. On here, it's relentless negative banter.

He does start all the time though.

Funny like, I don't remember this fawning over him when he was at Sunderland, or a burning desire for such a great player to play for Newcastle. Everyone thought he was a bland clogger and chuckled at our quality in comparison to theirs.

Who's fawning over him? There are few people defending him because he gets over the top criticism/abuse on here. Thankfully it doesn't exist outside this forum.

That said I saw some places have him down as MOTM yesterday, which is equally absurd.

He shouldn't be in our starting 11 because we should be aiming higher but there is a place for him in our squad.

He did fade yesterday but so did the whole team. His block at the end was excellent though, and I thought his passing kept us ticking over.

And it showed when Tiote came on - the difference is plain to see. Tiote is gone, he is s*** now.

Sometimes I wonder about this Board, because the opinion of people in the stands I speak to, and in the pub is different to on here. People think he is a decent player, maybe not starting all the time, but a useful squad member. On here, it's relentless negative banter.

Funny like, I don't remember this fawning over him when he was at Sunderland, or a burning desire for such a great player to play for Newcastle. Everyone thought he was a bland clogger and chuckled at our quality in comparison to theirs.

Who's fawning over him? There are few people defending him because he gets over the top criticism/abuse on here. Thankfully it doesn't exist outside this forum.

That said I saw some places have him down as MOTM yesterday, which is equally absurd.

He shouldn't be in our starting 11 because we should be aiming higher but there is a place for him in our squad.

Exactly. Nobody is fawning over him at all.

Bang on.

We agree then. He shouldn't be in the team.

Not unless another player comes in, all this clamour for the amazing, sensational Mehdi Abeid to replace him is just ridiculous. If Tiote could rediscover his form I'd have Colback out and Tiote in the team in a heartbeat, but at the moment he's our best option alongside Anita unfortunately.

I noticed three things this guy did yesterday. The foul on Mane and the two blocks at the end.

The comparison to Anita makes me sick. Anita constantly made himself available for the ball to start off moves from the back, and constantly pressed and harried the opposition to good effect, without stupid fouls.

I genuinely don't understand what people are watching when they compare the two. But it's okay, we're playing Swansea next. Let's see if the improved build up play we all saw yesterday is still evident if Anita has to miss out.

Your first point is pretty fucking stupid. If you only judge players by highlight reel contributions then sure, that was his performance. But if you conveniently ignore every other small contribution then hey, it fits the narrative.

Colback is supposed to be Alan Smith, Nicky Butt. The typical clogger who can't control a ball and spends most of the game trying to win back posession from his own giveaways.

Anita is supposed to be Phillip Cocu, Daley Blind. The super technical DM who lives between his own centre-backs and does nothing other than 'play the right way'.

The reality is that both players are a hell of a lot fucking similar than their stereotypes and do predominantly the same job in a midfield.

I wish Colback would get rid of the ball a bit quicker like. Yesterday he wasted time looking around before inevitably playing the simple pass. He should just take one or two touches and then play the simple pass

Your first point is pretty f***ing stupid. If you only judge players by highlight reel contributions then sure, that was his performance. But if you conveniently ignore every other small contribution then hey, it fits the narrative.

Colback is supposed to be Alan Smith, Nicky Butt. The typical clogger who can't control a ball and spends most of the game trying to win back posession from his own giveaways.

Anita is supposed to be Phillip Cocu, Daley Blind. The super technical DM who lives between his own centre-backs and does nothing other than 'play the right way'.

The reality is that both players are a hell of a lot f***ing similar than their stereotypes and do predominantly the same job in a midfield.

My first point is in fact not stupid, because I watched the whole game and saw none of these other little contributions he made.

This whole thing is really laughable to me. We'll see what happens Saturday if Anita sits out.

Bloody ridiculous.

I wish Colback would get rid of the ball a bit quicker like. Yesterday he wasted time looking around before inevitably playing the simple pass. He should just take one or two touches and then play the simple pass

Apparently it makes no difference that he slows down play only to then pass it back to a defender or the midfielder right beside him.

It's allegedly exactly what Anita does also. They're one and the same.

Bullshit.

Your first point is pretty f***ing stupid. If you only judge players by highlight reel contributions then sure, that was his performance. But if you conveniently ignore every other small contribution then hey, it fits the narrative.

The reality is that both players are a hell of a lot f***ing similar than their stereotypes and do predominantly the same job in a midfield.

I would agree with this. Individually both Colback & Anita had bang average games. We looked worse when ANita went off but that had more to do with Tiote totally being off the pace/being Tiote.

Anita has some advantages over Colback for sure. But some of them aren't true. Anita misplaced more passes than Colback while attempting less passes. Both of them pass sideways a lot. Neither look for a forward ball often enough. Anita moves it quicker that's about it.

On the chance Wijnaldum should have scored from Sissoko's cut back. Please let me know who sent Sissoko free? Anita did.

Please give me one example of a forward pass like that from Colback in yet another full 90 mins he played?

Many PL players don't have the ability or desire to put a shift in? I think you've been on the leaves again, Baba.

I stand by what I said. Many players do not want to work hard for the team when they don't have the ball. Many do not have the physical abilities or mental concentration to maintain hard work for 90 minutes. It is an important attribute. Whether this justifies starting Colback every single match, is a different argument.

I agree, it's an important attribute. It also just so happens to be Colback's only attribute.

Apparently it makes no difference that he slows down play only to then pass it back to a defender or the midfielder right beside him.

It's allegedly exactly what Anita does also. They're one and the same.

Bullshit.

Anita passes it quicker but he makes the same passes. You would think Anita was Pirlo the way people talking about his pasing.

Still waiting for an example of one forward pass from Colback.

Even McClaren was urging him to switch play late in the game when he kept passing it to the left side after it had become congested.

The guy doesn't use the ball with any intelligence at all. He's not thinking about what he's doing at all.

I think he's thinking inasmuch as he selects a pass that is within his range and is usually to an unmarked teammate. He keeps the ball in that respect, but he doesn't open up the game or provide any particular benefit to the attack.

TBH I don't think it's worth wasting too many more words slagging him off if he's going to play. I don't rate him but if he's going to play then we know what we're going to get.

This board is negative as f***. He had a decent game today.

:thup: He was at worst average today, and yet we are still gifted with continuous discussion of how poor a player he is.

Different day, same story on this forum. They spend their time mocking him for his white skin (I am sure if his pigmentation was of a different ethnicity, they would say nowt about that) and his speech impediment, but they reserve their ire mostly for his biggest disability of all, his nationality.

If his name was Jaques Le Col Baque, with Ugandan origin  they would be far more tolerable. For evidence of this, see their rampant and sinister defence of Vernon Anita, by far one of the most pointless players the premier league has ever seen, but due to nefarious reasons outlined earlier, they will remorselessly defend him until the cows come home.

Weapons grade unfounded horse plop.

This board is negative as f***. He had a decent game today.

:thup: He was at worst average today, and yet we are still gifted with continuous discussion of how poor a player he is.

Different day, same story on this forum. They spend their time mocking him for his white skin (I am sure if his pigmentation was of a different ethnicity, they would say nowt about that) and his speech impediment, but they reserve their ire mostly for his biggest disability of all, his nationality.

If his name was Jaques Le Col Baque, with Ugandan origin  they would be far more tolerable. For evidence of this, see their rampant and sinister defence of Vernon Anita, by far one of the most pointless players the premier league has ever seen, but due to nefarious reasons outlined earlier, they will remorselessly defend him until the cows come home.

This is weapons-grade retardation.

I reckon if he was called Lin-Con Eemp you'd reckon he was a f***ing mint poster and not at all a complete knuckle dragging fuckwit.

Once again, anti English xenephobia on display. I notice no one has had the grace or dignity to offer an opposition to my post, rather just decide they are offended for no justifiable reason whatsoever.

Accusing people of racism for no good reason is stupid and irresponsible and shows you up as an instigating WUM. Your posts on this matter don't merit any reasonable debate.

We agree then. He shouldn't be in the team.

Probably not. Close between him and Anita. That's not the issue though.

It's defending unnecessary abuse. He's somewhere between average and good. Doesn't mean every thread should be full of ginger cunt stuff.