Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Really don't get the hate for this bloke, if it's based on last season then each player (bar Janmaat and perez) should have their own threads full of hate.

Er, they did.

As much as this (williamson, gouffran excepted) ?

Colback doesn't have the legs to cover a 2-man midfield IMO, at least not after half time. The amount of time he spends jogging between opponents putting no pressure on anyone is unreal.

That said, I will give him a chance this season and I hope he does well.

That has always been my main doubt about him, and to be fair, it has been for Cabaye and Anita as well. I think with all three you need to sacrifice a forward to accommodate their lack of ability to cover ground quickly. Cabaye at least brought extra vision and craft and Anita brings more precise tackling and quicker movement. I'm not really sure what Colback's role is other than to be an extra body doing a bit of everything simple.

His lack of stamina to cover a 2 man midfield isn't my issue, his lack of awareness leading him to run into positions which lead to gaps is what i have an issue with. Anita doesn't exactly cover the ground brilliantly but he understand the position a lot better and is much more aware of where he should be.

It's the fouling as well. Doesn't stand out Tiote style because they're not ones where he goes in full blooded and mistimes it. It's where he's been done like a kipper and he trips or pulls the opponent back to stop him getting away. Christ man, I've been a bit defender of average gumph at the club over the years on here but i don't see anything in him to suggest he should be starting Premier League games for us.

It has no bearing on how poor he is. That goes without saying. Just adds another dimension to how he is perceived, on top of being a bang average overrated player.

Yeah, I'm sure it does. What I mean is that it shouldn't really be held against him.

It has no bearing on how poor he is. That goes without saying. Just adds another dimension to how he is perceived, on top of being a bang average overrated player.

Yeah, I'm sure it does. What I mean is that it shouldn't really be held against him.

It shouldn't be held against him that he went out of his way to antagonise fans of the club he supports?

It shouldn't be held against him that he went out of his way to antagonise fans of the club he supports?

Not really, he was a Sunderland player then. Ideally no player would act like that, but to me it's not a major issue.

I thought Colback had good miles ran/workrate stats?

Dunno was just responding to Ian's post, should have quoted it in hindsight.

Like I say, I'm not sure but if a stats wizard can find them I'd be interested.

It's not a huge deal per se, but don't know why it shouldn't. By all means, celebrate goals. It's just how he did it. Especially as a self-proclaimed Newcastle fan.

Not really, he was a Sunderland player then. Ideally no player would act like that, but to me it's not a major issue.

Well it's not a major issue for me either, I struggle to think of anything NUFC related that I can put in that category tbh, other than Mike Ashley. It just means we know he's an arsehole, behaviour like that will rightly be held against him.

He's such a passenger at times its unreal, speaking strictly defensively he either stays out of the way when the other side is on the attack (hes an expert at this) or goes in half hearted and clips whoever breezes past him like hes not there.

In terms of his actual passing its decent and crisp enough when its backwards or sidewards but he neither has the vision nor the passing range to execute anything resembling a cutting through ball or an inventive cross field pass etc...

You will notice whenever he does execute a decent through ball its usually a deflection, a bobble or just sheer luck that takes it through to the forward man, every now and then he does pop up with a decent ball though, and his long range shooting is one of the best in the squad, which is more of a damning statement of how poor 90% of our team is at shooting in general.

He is so popular at the club and the average fan loves him mainly because he never makes any glaring mistakes and the perceived geordie passion that he has, both can be explained by the fact that he never attempts anything remotely out of the ordinary to risk making a mistake and personally I don't see this "passion" everyone speaks of, has the occasional moan at the ref, but apart from that what does he do but back keep out of the way and lay the ball off?

I don't pretend to be any kind of expert on football but that's how I see it, and generally when you ask anyone what's good about him, they can't give you a straight answer other than hes "solid" or "tidy" or "got good work rate"

Fuck that.

Anita's played more preseason minutes than him, hasn't he? Interesting if that's the case. Think we'll initially see Colback-Anita but will quickly be phased out for Wijnaldum to drop deeper.

Side passing-tastic.

Never forget how these lads made N'Zonzi look like a 27 year old Patrick Vieira.

I would agree with most of that. Although out of our central midfielders  besides the new lads - he's most likely to play an incisive pass. He's by no means good at it but among the best we have.

I think the same generally applies for Anita too, and he receives half the stick on here.

I hope under McClaren the hiding stops. Although I think a large part of it is down to both of them struggling to get around the pitch in the same way YoCabs would struggle.

Guest palnese

It's not a huge deal per se, but don't know why it shouldn't. By all means, celebrate goals. It's just how he did it. Especially as a self-proclaimed Newcastle fan.

Shearer went mental when he scored against us for Blackburn. Just saying.

I thought Colback had good miles ran/workrate stats?

It doesn't make much difference how long or hard you run if you are doing it slower than your opponent. He couldn't get anywhere near N'zonzi against Stoke for example, because N'zonzi was just far too quick. What difference does it make if he jogged around for a bit longer?

Shearer went mental when he scored against us for Blackburn. Just saying.

He did but he ran to the Blackburn fans in the corner instead of the home fans. Unlike Colback he probably knew it wouldn't be the highlight of his career though.