Jack Colback (now a free agent)

Disco
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Over 9 games - everything you talk about more or less evens out. As evidence that it's no surprise that Van Dijk wins more aerial duels than Fabricio Coloccini. As evidenced that Colo who we all agree is poor in the air, has a similar success rate in the air to Chancel - lower than the others I highlighted. I'd be surprised if you could highlight more than 1 CB who is considered good in the air who has a similarly poor aerial duel stat. That's because the stat is fairly indicative of overall aerial competence for a CB.

And again - it's from an observation i've made with my eyes that i've looked to see could be substantiated with facts. That stat probably wouldn't count the first Norwich goal. Or the poor clearance for Payet's goal.  But it's indicative of the issue. We look susceptible from crosses and set-pieces. He gets beaten too often for a CB in the air.

Height is another issue. You have highlighted Van Dijk who is probably a good 10cm taller than both Mbemba and Coloccini. It's easier the taller you are to rack up the numbers for obvious reasons.

Over 9 games - everything you talk about more or less evens out. As evidence that it's no surprise that Van Dijk wins more aerial duels than Fabricio Coloccini. As evidenced that Colo who we all agree is poor in the air, has a similar success rate in the air to Chancel - lower than the others I highlighted. I'd be surprised if you could highlight more than 1 CB who is considered good in the air who has a similarly poor aerial duel stat. That's because the stat is fairly indicative of overall aerial competence for a CB.

And again - it's from an observation i've made with my eyes that i've looked to see could be substantiated with facts. That stat probably wouldn't count the first Norwich goal. Or the poor clearance for Payet's goal.  But it's indicative of the issue. We look susceptible from crosses and set-pieces. He gets beaten too often for a CB in the air.

That's because quite a lot of teams have one giant CB and one who is okay in the air but generally much better at other things like tackling, anticipation, reading the game etc. We have two who are more like the latter. It's a problem we've had for some time now, that doesn't mean these are bad defenders, just the recruitment side is not being done right. But I'm sure you know this.

Spot on TRon.  We keep signing the same type of player Mbiwa was the same. We need a bulldozer and a good one. That's why Shawcross gets brought up every window.

He's not realistic but it's that type we need.

Spot on TRon.  We keep signing the same type of player Mbiwa was the same. We need a bulldozer and a good one. That's why Shawcross gets brought up every window.

Aren't there any big fuck-you defenders in the Championship anymore that we can pick up? Someone better than Willo, of course.

Aren't there any big fuck-you defenders in the Championship anymore that we can pick up? Someone better than Willo, of course.

Yes there might well be - and it would be nice if we could discuss this in the transfer threads. :lol:

Been linked with Slam Dunk at Brighton a few times, he's canny tall.

Just signed a new deal and is local to Brighton though.

That's because quite a lot of teams have one giant CB and one who is okay in the air but generally much better at other things like tackling, anticipation, reading the game etc. We have two who are more like the latter. It's a problem we've had for some time now, that doesn't mean these are bad defenders, just the recruitment side is not being done right. But I'm sure you know this.

This is my exact point.

Aren't there any big f***-you defenders in the Championship anymore that we can pick up? Someone better than Willo, of course.

We already picked one up, he's on the bench :lol: