Hatem Ben Arfa (still a free agent)

Dave

13 minutes ago, OCK said:

One of the best at off balancing defenders. 

I once saw someone describing how the way he was throwing defenders off balance was "like watching Michael Jackson moonwalk, but during a football match" :lol: 

26 minutes ago, OCK said:

One of the best at off balancing defenders. 

His turn of pace from a standing start with the ball at his feet was really deceptive

6 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Found it, re-uploaded here:

The clip of him facing that Norwich defender and he just puts it through his legs and gets round the other side :lol:

Madly talented and loveable

I loved Maxi, but he's not even close to comparable to Hatem in terms of raw talent. Howe would absolutely find a way to fit him into the system. Hatem on the right cutting in with Tino covering him with his pace. Inject it 

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

The clip of him facing that Norwich defender and he just puts it through his legs and gets round the other side :lol:

Madly talented and loveable

I still don't know how he knew he could meg Kieran Richardson from 5 yards away 

50 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Not from me - he’s spot on :) 

There are loads of different ways to look at it

Natural talent

HBA

Ginola

ASM

Robert

My favourite 

Ginola

HBA

Robert

ASM

Most effective 

Robert 

Ginola

HBA

ASM

Most flair

ASM

HBA

Ginola

Robert

9 hours ago, Ronaldo said:

ASM more talented that Robert is a bit of a mental take mind. You’ve basically got to write ASM off as the laziest cunt on the planet for that to hold water.

That's the point though, natural talent means little without hard work. That's why Robert's top in terms of actually being effective. Not that Robert worked hard in the grand scheme of things either mind.

Robert for me everyday. Being 11-14 years old when we had him and watching him belt in 30-40 yarders felt like it was the best thing I’d ever ever see in a Newcastle shirt. 

Just now, Fak said:

Robert for me everyday. Being 11-14 years old when we had him and watching him belt in 30-40 yarders felt like it was the best thing I’d ever ever see in a Newcastle shirt. 

I was 11-14, not Robert. 

13 hours ago, LiquidAK said:

I loved Maxi, but he's not even close to comparable to Hatem in terms of raw talent. Howe would absolutely find a way to fit him into the system. Hatem on the right cutting in with Tino covering him with his pace. Inject it 

HBA would last <5 minutes in a Howe squad. That’s not even debatable. Honestly they would hate each other 

If Ben Arfa was too much of a maverick for 2012* then there's no way he'd last in today's game where tactical discipline, team ethic and raw athleticism trump individuality. 

*debatable, I know

Still, I think the most creative and adaptable manager finds a way...

11 hours ago, Kid Icarus said:

There are loads of different ways to look at it

Natural talent

HBA

Ginola

ASM

Robert

My favourite 

Ginola

HBA

Robert

ASM

Most effective 

Robert 

Ginola

HBA

ASM

Most flair

ASM

HBA

Ginola

Robert

HBA was way more effective than Ginola, in terms of output

11 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

HBA was way more effective than Ginola, in terms of output

I cant agree. Ginola was a huge part in taking us from European contenders to title contenders imo. Teams played differently against us because of him and the threat he posed with goals but mainly his assists with both feet.

Think I've mentioned it before as well, but he's the perfect example of stats not meaning everything as well. eg Longstaff scored more last season than Ginola did in his Newcastle career.

Edited by Kid Icarus

In spite of never actually bothering to improve himself at any club he played at, he was still widely regarded as being good enough to play at any club in the world had he done so.

His entire career was based on talent and talent alone. That makes him unique to any winger we've ever had. 

Edited by Thumbheed