The other games today - 2014/15

Trumpet

Guest palnese

Touch or not, RVP is 'active' and therefore Mata is f***ing offside. :lol:

Absolute joke.

Nah he's only offside if RVP touches it, surely?

Nein

Guest firetotheworks

But Mata isn't offside when Young crosses it in

Aye, but whether RVP touches it or not, he's interfering with play. Remember Tiote's goal against Man City? Gouffran (I think it was) didn't touch the ball, but was interfering with play. RVP is obviously interfering with play if he's actively trying to head the ball on and it then runs through to Mata who's offside. It shouldn't count in my eyes.

Guest firetotheworks

But when Gouffran was interfering with play he was in an offside position. Neither Mata or RVP are offside when Young crosses the ball

RVP is trying to get a touch on it, I think that counts for something, whether he's offside or not, he's interfering with play in that respect. It's a contentious one, but I'd be inclined to give it as offside for that reason.

Froggy what are fans' opinions on LVG? I know there's talk of you not playing great but this would be win 6 in a row, no?

Aye it'll be six wins in a row if we hold on but the football isn't exactly setting the world alight. A lot of people will put the results down to him but the truth is that it isn't tactical decisions that are winning us those games. Southampton should have destroyed us for example and on any other day would have put the chances they had away.

I hate three centre backs and in certain games he insists on playing it despite us having an injury crisis at the back. We look infinitely better when we go four at the back and put another creative midfielder in like Herrera. At the same time I'm happy he's giving the likes of Wilson a chance in games like this and it gives us a much needed injection of pace up front. He's also getting the best out of average enough players like Valencia, Young and Fellaini.

I'd like him to be a little more involved on the touchline too. When things are going terrible he's never there trying to change things up and Giggs is rarely there either. He always waits until halftime or until he makes a sub. That's OK when you're playing teams like Crystal Palace but if it's Bayern Munich we're dead and buried by halftime and that isn't good when we want to be back alongside them or at least be a threat to them.

Personally I think he could do a little more, but I'm content at the same time. We can only get better and we have a lot of players to come back.

But when Gouffran was interfering with play he was in an offside position. Neither Mata or RVP are offside when Young crosses the ball

RVP is trying to get a touch on it, I think that counts for something, whether he's offside or not, he's interfering with play in that respect. It's a contentious one, but I'd be inclined to give it as offside for that reason.

RVP going for the ball means the defenders are acting to stop him which automatically draws them away from Mata. It's offside for sure.

For me, he's only offside if RVP touches it, otherwise everything else is irrelevant as Mata's onside when Young crosses the ball

Aye, a player in a onside position can't make someone else offside without touching the ball.  Interfering with play is only used to decide if a player in a offside position who doesn't touch the ball has caused a goal and therefore become actively offside.