Malaga 3 - 1 Newcastle United - 02/08/14

Decky

This is the first match I have watched this preseason. I inexplicably had some blind hope after the signings I am not sure why but the way we were set up was so naive.

i hope that with so many signings The King will be sacked if we perform terribly, we will most likely play terribly but well probably pick up enough points because whatever anyone says we have a highly talented squad thanks to Graham Carr.

If we didn't have such a good scout Pardew would have went ages ago.

With someone like Laudrup I would be excited at where we could finish and have an amazing season but it will be the same old crap. Probably a decent start then the players become disillusioned at the brand of foot ball we play.

This is the first match I have watched this preseason. I inexplicably had some blind hope after the signings I am not sure why but the way we were set up was so naive.

i hope that with so many signings The King will be sacked if we perform terribly, we will most likely play terribly but well probably pick up enough points because whatever anyone says we have a highly talented squad thanks to Graham Carr.

With someone like Laudrup I would be excited at where we could finish and have an amazing season but it will be the same old crap. Probably a decent start then the players become disillusioned at the brand of foot ball we play.

Fuck Laudrup, i'd be excited if we had Gus Poyet as manager.

Fuck Laudrup, i'd be excited if we had Gus Poyet as manager.

Id be excited with that bloke from Leeds as Manager tbh. I know fuck all about him but blind hope.is better than no hope.

Guest reefatoon

Well just fast forwarded through that crap.  Some new players but the same old shite. Roll on this years struggle.

Most teams can chalk pre-season down as "just pre-season", but I don't think we can when you look at our form in 2014 as well. We've been abysmal and for me there's warning signs there about our upcoming season. We look like we're continuing on from where we left off and if so we're in serious trouble. Under normal circumstances you'd be slightly worried because we could just change manager if things go tits up, but Pardew will never be sacked so we're absolutely fucked.

Guest ElCid

Seems like a waste of a good opportunity yet again.

We have rarely, if ever, done anything productive in preseasons past under Pardew. Even prior to the 11-12 campaign, the preseason tour in America was a complete disgrace travel-wise and preparation-wise (and I was in Kansas City to see it). So today we set out a side with MYM yet again out of position despite having tons of evidence that he's never a fullback; we used a central defensive partnership that we've seen a lot and know is suspect, instead of using that chance to either see a younger player like Satka or MYM with one of Colo/Taylor/Williamson, which would be a useful thing to see given the unlikelihood of us signing another proper CB.

Could have used Sissoko in the middle to see how that might work. Didn't. Played Abeid for some reason even though he's got no chance of featuring this season. Same with Armstrong. Put Perez and Armstrong up front and put a midfield behind them incapable of playing it on the ground, thus negating whatever they might provide. Obertan comes on to do whatever he does - good or bad - which doesn't matter as he isn't going to feature, either.

Just a colossal waste.

Still think in a pre season friendly against quality opposition, the best way forward is to play your first team for the majority of the match to get the players (especially the new ones) used to each other and any planned systems. Leave the fringe players to play against the lower grade opposition teams and to replace the first team payers in the other games.

It's the football we play as always; just abysmal and its going to get exposed even more now we don't have a powerful high level goalscorer to paper over the cracks.

I'm actually hopeful in a way that we have an abysmal start and Pardew finally gets the bullet, a good manager in early on and you'd see a turnaround straight away IMO. Could pull us round. Look at the mackems last season, even if you have a truly abysmal start the league is so poor you can turn it round.

It's the football we play as always; just abysmal and its going to get exposed even more now we don't have a powerful high level goalscorer to paper over the cracks.

Good. At least the cracks won't be papered over this season.

I'm actually hopeful in a way that we have an abysmal start and Pardew finally gets the bullet, a good manager in early on and you'd see a turnaround straight away IMO. Could pull us round. Look at the mackems last season, even if you have a truly abysmal start the league is so poor you can turn it round.

I agree with the rest but I'm tired of this 'league is so poor' garbage. Have a look at who's finishing 5th, 6th and 7th in other leagues compared to ours, man.

I agree with the rest but I'm tired of this 'league is so poor' garbage. Have a look at who's finishing 5th, 6th and 7th in other leagues compared to ours, man.

Well obviously I meant from 8th/9thish downwards vs the top end of the table. There's a significant two-tier split and it's actually piss easy to survive. As we proved last season by somehow finishing top half.

My point wasn't the quality of the top 7 or 8 though or the league as a whole, maybe I worded it badly.

My point was how bad the the rest is and how easy it actually is to stay up. We're 12th favourites to go down and we're shite.

My point wasn't the quality of the top 7 or 8 though or the league as a whole, maybe I worded it badly.

My point was how bad the the rest is and how easy it actually is to stay up. We're 12th favourites to go down and we're shite.

:thup: I know it was only a friendly but Malaga came 11th last season in La Liga and they made us look like a Sunday League side today with their passing and movement in the first half

:thup: I know it was only a friendly but Malaga came 11th last season in La Liga and they made us look like a Sunday League side today with their passing and movement in the first half

We had players out there that aren't up to League One standard, what do you expect?

saw the 2 teams with hardly any contrast in their kits and the extremely shit tv camera footage picture quality and knew it was gonna be shit before a ball was kicked ,if Taylor starts in the premiership for us we are wipping boys and the only benefit of the doubt i can give is few first team missing and pre season friendly but utterly depressing to watch

After today's performance, surely they have noticed that we are downright terrible at the back, that wasn't a young defence either (which of course was Pardew's excuse for the the first half performance), that was close to the first choice defence, Janmaat for MYM and that's the likely back four for the first game of the season. Colo and Saylor were abject, MYM was better going forward than going back and he wasn't very good going forward, played out of position of course but some of the stuff he did like for the third goal, it made no difference where he was on the pitch if you do that you deserve to be punished. Hadiara was probably the pick of an awful back four.

So we clearly need to buy, but it's more than that, defensive coaching at the club right now has to be downright terrible. The stuff we witnessed at the end of last season and resurfaced again today just is not acceptable for a professional football club, never mind one in the top division in one of the world's top leagues.

Thank goodness we showed imagination flair and guile going forward...not.

Preseason results, as we all know mean nothing, but preseason performances can be telling and that was as abject an overall performance as you could ask for. It's not all the players fault, the group of players is a lot better than that, it's something more worrying and less likely to be fixed. He's killing our football club and no matter who we sign this off season, this club is going nowhere under him. 

saw the 2 teams with hardly any contrast in their kits and the extremely s*** tv camera footage picture quality and knew it was gonna be s*** before a ball was kicked ,if Taylor starts in the premiership for us we are wipping boys and the only benefit of the doubt i can give is few first team missing and pre season friendly but utterly depressing to watch

Is Williamson that much better ? The players may not be great but the mistakes and lack of cohesion find the roots in something else, we need a scapegoat and Taylor is as good as any, but MYM and Colo were just as bad today.

saw the 2 teams with hardly any contrast in their kits and the extremely s*** tv camera footage picture quality and knew it was gonna be s*** before a ball was kicked ,if Taylor starts in the premiership for us we are wipping boys and the only benefit of the doubt i can give is few first team missing and pre season friendly but utterly depressing to watch

Is Williamson that much better ? The players may not be great but the mistakes and lack of cohesion find the roots in something else, we need a scapegoat and Taylor is as good as any, but MYM and Colo were just as bad today.

MYM was out of position but Taylor and Coloccini were equally dogshit, yes. I don't agree that Taylor has been made a scapegoat though. A scapegoat or escape goat is when someone is blamed when its not their fault such as Fred for Brazil against Germany while Taylor was absolutely to blame today. And yes Williamson is that much better