Ched Evans - Not Guilty

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I really don't see why he should be given a clean slate when his victim is now onto her second new identity and unable to get on with her life. Regardless of his claims of innocence he was convicted in a court of law of rape. His victim was too intoxicated to legally consent but he seems to think it's fine to have sex with someone who couldnt even stand up.

Even taking aside the rape conviction, he can never been classed as a "role model": he's cheated on his girlfriend and had sex with another woman with someone watching!

Fair play to Jessica Ennis-Hill and the others connected with Sheffield United (ambassadors?) who've take the stance they have.

Just not getting this, sorry.

Also would it be different if it was someone more talented then Ched Evans? Its easier to tell Evans to get lost but I bet if it was someone of premiership quality he would be given more of a chance.

He should really just leave the UK and play somewhere else.

I really don't see why he should be given a clean slate when his victim is now onto her second new identity and unable to get on with her life. Regardless of his claims of innocence he was convicted in a court of law of rape. His victim was too intoxicated to legally consent but he seems to think it's fine to have sex with someone who couldnt even stand up.

Even taking aside the rape conviction, he can never been classed as a "role model": he's cheated on his girlfriend and had sex with another woman with someone watching!

Fair play to Jessica Ennis-Hill and the others connected with Sheffield United (ambassadors?) who've take the stance they have.

But if you extend that logic, no criminal could ever be rehabilitated while the victim is still affected? Some people could be scared years after a burglary.

It should be up to individual clubs whether they want to take him on and risk a backlash from fans and sponsors. I don't buy the role model argument or that him playing again will send out any form of message over the seriousness of rape. When Tyson got out of prison and still had a career in sport people didn't see that a sign that rape was cool, and he was a global superstar, not some lower division footballer. Everyone knows how serious rape is, it's quite clear, unfortunately you get the odd nutter that doesn't care.

This is only an issue because he didn't serve enough time in prison, that should be the focus IMO.

It's a weird one, I always assumed that he'd just sort of taken advantage of her tbh, which is still bad but it's a grey area. If he stuck it in whilst she was a kip then that's a different story altogether :lol:

Unfortunately for him the masses will always bay for blood.

Well not so much if he did it like. :lol:

I don't know if it's wrong or right tbh, just saying that the masses always react with absolute objection to anything like this and never care for the fact they've done their time.

Guest Geordiesned

Just not getting what?

Course he should be able to work again but I don't really think he should have a right to play football again any more than anyone else convicted of rape should have a right to a particular type of job when they come back out. He'll have to be grateful for whoever is willing to employ him again, whether that's Sheffield United or Tesco.

I wouldn't want him here, that's for sure.

It's not as simple as that though is it, they paid 2 million quid for him or whatever and if they pass on this it might cost them more money.

Guest Geordiesned

But if you extend that logic, no criminal could ever be rehabilitated while the victim is still affected? Some people could be scared years after a burglary.

To be rehabilited you first have to accept responsibility and show remorse for your actions.

To be rehabilited you first have to accept responsibility and show remorse for your actions.

Is just not doing it again enough? Is Mike Tyson considered rehabilitated for example?

Well that's a different point to the victim thing.

Lee Hughes and Luke McCormack were convicted for killing people (admittedly 'accidentally') and returned to play football again.

Whilst Evans may or may not be a rapist under the official definition, chances are he probably didn't intentionally rape this woman.

Therefore I find a lot of the furore, arguments, and massively skewed viewpoints from the same feminist sorts baying for Dapper Laughs' blood every five minutes to be fuelled by hysteria. Where were these people when the two aforementioned people got back into football?

The Dapper Laughs thing is a totally different argument of course and I don't happen to agree with a lot of what he has said, but at the minute there's loads of lasses I have on Facebook posting these heavily feminist articles about these issues all the time and I'm quite sure the vast majority are bandwagoning it a fair bit.

Just not getting what?

Why shouldn't he be given a clean slate when he's served his time and he's still a "talented" footballer?

What's it got to do with how the victim's life has gone since, the 2 situations are actually unrelated if you think about it logically, or else you're getting into "give soldiers Tony Blair's wages" territory.

Course he should be able to work again but I don't really think he should have a right to play football again any more than anyone else convicted of rape should have a right to a particular type of job when they come back out. He'll have to be grateful for whoever is willing to employ him again, whether that's Sheffield United or Tesco.

I wouldn't want him here, that's for sure.

It's not as simple as that though is it, they paid 2 million quid for him or whatever and if they pass on this it might cost them more money.

Really? ??? I assumed he was currently just a free agent.

He maintains his innocence.  Should he have started pretending he thought he was guilty?

What's the story with that video on the chedevans.com website where it shows her clearly able to walk about relitavely normaly?

Reluctant to take anything on there at face value as it's obviously bias in his favour, but unless she'd had a fair bit to drink in the hotel, or has been spiked, then I cannot see how she "couldn't stand."

It's uncomfortable because of the offence but I can't take issue with the principle that somebody should be able to get on with their lives once they have done the punishment society has demanded. Ched Evans didn't decide the punishment he should face.

I think that's actually quite an important lesson to teach young people. Certainly much more important than the notion of the footballer as role model. Parents should be the role models for children.

Great post and sums up my feelings.

The problem for me is with the sentences handed out for this most heinous crime, far too lenient imo.

However I also am of the firm opinion that it can never be the case that 100% of allegations are true and therfeore I have issues with the anonymity thing for the accusers as well.

Yet I also underdtand we must alsways listen to allegations in a way we certainly never used too. (I'v'e just finisshed watching the Ch5 doc on Fred and Rose West and it is clear that if the culture of beleiving and listening to allegations had been different at the time then many lives may have been spared).

Happened in the town I live in. Young teen cried rape and it was all made up. The poor lass has major issues but imagine if some poor innocent guy had been charged with it.

Really tricky getting the balance right on this one.

Voted yes purely beacuse I can't see how denying people the chance for redeeming themselves what the point would be? just pure punishment?

The fact he is still arguing his innocence seems to some to indicate he still doesn't view  his actions as rape or isn't accepting of the seriousness of his alleged crime. Maybe. But maybe he is actulaly innocent and the victim of a miscarriage of justice?

Really emotive one and I doubt there is right or wrong? Except that rape is a heinous crime and victims must be allowed to express their allegations in a culture of beleief and non prejudice...whilst protecting the rights of the accused as well. Tricky.

Guest Geordiesned

Just not getting what?

Why shouldn't he be given a clean slate when he's served his time and he's still a "talented" footballer?

What's it got to do with how the victim's life has gone since, the 2 situations are actually unrelated if you think about it logically, or else you're getting into "give soldiers Tony Blair's wages" territory.

I could not disagree more. The 2 situations could not be anymore linked. The victim had her identity first leaked by friends and family of Ched Evans and the impact on her life as a result of that and what happened in that hotel room mean that she has not been allowed to move on with her life. So why should he? I hate this "served his time" line when referring to a rapist.

What has him still being a talented footballer got to do with anything? Should Rolf Harris get another TV show when he gets out (if he ever does)?

Tough one indeed. I voted yes based on fairly limited knowledge of the case FWIW, but it's always going to be one that divides opinion quite strongly based on the crime committed alone I feel; I don't think people would be this arsed if it was anything Barton's done in the past.

The personal lives of high level professional sportsmen - especially football in this country - can be really dark areas. Egos, money, status, all that shit can and will, with some people, lead to some pretty bad things - things Ranger has done, Ribery, Terry, Bramble / his brothers, etc. Sadly these personalities also attract a minority which cry wolf, trying to win money, damage reputations, sell stories and all that other shit. It's extremely sad, but it happens.

As said above, he's been denying it from day one, his girlfriend stuck by him, him saying it was consensual and still being convicted raises all sorts of questions like - did they have really hard evidence of this being forced, or were the courts going hard to make an example? Only a handful of people will ever actually know the truth.

Football is his only craft though, he's been sentenced and served time. He'll carry this reputation now and being in the spotlight like this, will never get old quickly either. I can't see how him being dropped as a footballer and having to give everything up at this stage of his life would be somehow beneficial to anybody; in the long run, with any opportunity and sense, he may be able to contribute to extra charity work or do things the regular man may not be in a position to match. Who knows.

Lee Hughes and Luke McCormack were convicted for killing people (admittedly 'accidentally') and returned to play football again.

Whilst Evans may or may not be a rapist under the official definition, chances are he probably didn't intentionally rape this woman.

Therefore I find a lot of the furore, arguments, and massively skewed viewpoints from the same feminist sorts baying for Dapper Laughs' blood every five minutes to be fuelled by hysteria. Where were these people when the two aforementioned people got back into football?

The Dapper Laughs thing is a totally different argument of course and I don't happen to agree with a lot of what he has said, but at the minute there's loads of lasses I have on Facebook posting these heavily feminist articles about these issues all the time and I'm quite sure the vast majority are bandwagoning it a fair bit.

You can't say "chances are he didn't intentionally rape this woman" you have nothing to base that on.

His own vehement protestation that he's innocent despite the conviction is what I'm basing it on. The court would have come down like a ton of bricks if there was a hint of him raping her "on purpose", whereas the conviction was largely circumstancial.

Haven't read it all but considering the girl said she didn't remember consenting to sex with either of them or even going back to the hotel, it seems Evans was done purely on account of him coming to the hotel (rather than going there with her), and leaving via the emergency exit (rather than the normal). Appears the jury just thought his actions were more dodgy than the other guy.

Really? I'd thought you just had to make a positive contribution to society on release. Something which is far more likely to happen if you're allowed to return to work (of whatever kind).

Plenty of offenders won't ever show remorse for their actions. It is not difficult to imagine scenarios why.

It is odd that rapists and sex offenders often get more lenient sentences than drug dealers.

I say ban him from the game until such time as he inevitably gets his conviction overturned on appeal, whereupon it'll come out he was convicted on something dodgy. Then all the people jumping on this bandwagon can go back to living their lives like it never happened.

Really? that's a fairly big assertion man.

I was taking the piss, but it's certainly a possibility.

The real answer is: the 'right' thing to do is nothing and he should be allowed to restart his career if any clubs believe it's worth offering him a contract.

The alternative is a rejection of the principles of criminal justice system in the country and the idea of rehabilitation, and we'd be left with a situation where internet warriors are deciding the fate of people's lives. Fuck that.