Newcastle United 1 - 2 Southampton - 17/01/15 - Post-match reaction from page 32

Dave

Having time to think about this, I believe this couldn't have gone better for us. A listless performance, that surely shows the ownership that they simply can't trust Carver with the job. The central defence was expose on the few occassions that Southampton actually created something. Clearly that area needs addressing right now. A lack of creativity also show we need to find something there too. Dummett had a bit of a mare while Haidara shone.

Not really impressed with Southampton at all, with a half decent manager we would have won that game at a canter IMO. They created 4 chances all game, scored with two from terrible deending and goalkeeping (for the first), hit the bar with another and put in a good set piece. Outside of that really I struggle to see how they are 3rd in the league right now.

Having time to think about this, I believe this couldn't have gone better for us. A listless performance, that surely shows the ownership that they simply can't trust Carver with the job. The central defence was expose on the few occassions that Southampton actually created something. Clearly that area needs addressing right now. A lack of creativity also show we need to find something there too. Dummett had a bit of a mare while Haidara shone.

Not really impressed with Southampton at all, with a half decent manager we would have won that game at a canter IMO. They created 4 chances all game, scored with two from terrible deending and goalkeeping (for the first), hit the bar with another and put in a good set piece. Outside of that really I struggle to see how they are 3rd in the league right now.

Same reason we finished 5th under The King.

Southampton are this season's Moyes style Everton. I think ultimately they'll fall short. We're awful and Man Utd are erratic, but the actual form teams will beat them playing like that. They were very average.

Same reason we finished 5th under The King.

Six points more than we had at this stage in that season. Their goal difference is +19 better. :lol:

They are missing two midfielders tbf

S'hampton where good imo. Looked solid as hell all evening. Didn't go to sleep once defensively.

It's an extreme example but Atletico rarely look "impressive" but they work so hard and are so switched on it's unbelievable. Rarely give away cheap goals. That's what S'hampton remind me of.

Winning at a canter? Not at all - those defenders where not going to give anything away today.

Whilst you couldn't accuse the players of not trying, there was definitely an impression of them drifting through this game - there was very little urgency until too late but there is also a blatant shortage of power and ability up front.

Perez did his best - as always - but apart from one brilliant attempt out of nothing in the first half, he never really threatened them. Gouffran looks as if he is on a jolly, laughing at everything(although who could blame him where NUFC are concerned...).

As Ashley is unlikely to let any new players of consequence be signed, the club are going to struggle for goals for the next month or so. Only Haidara really showed any improvement on past form and Colback kept things ticking along...and that's ALL that happened, the side just ticked along. They hardly troubled Forster at all apart from a late flurry of corners and I can hardly recall him making a save of any major importance.

This all reminds me of when we were looking to replace managers in the 70s....first it was Joe Harvey in 1975, then Gordon Lee in early 1977 after he realized that the board were not going to give him enough to replace Supermac properly(he wanted to sign Trevor Francis from Brum) and went to Everton when they came calling - the side just drifted although they did try hard for a few months after Lee left in order to get Dinnis into the job - look how that turned out...

The world moves on, NUFC just repeats and rinses ; that is the only consistent thing about the club.

Should Carver be confirmed in the permanent role, we will be definite relegation candidates

We're painfully shit like. No gameplan, no work ethic, no style, no creativity, no shots.

They were organised and disciplined and that's pretty much all it takes to beat us these days. Shudder to think how toothless we'd have been if they'd had their midfield fit.

Whilst you couldn't accuse the players of not trying, there was definitely an impression of them drifting through this game - there was very little urgency until too late but there is also a blatant shortage of power and ability up front.

Perez did his best - as always - but apart from one brilliant attempt out of nothing in the first half, he never really threatened them. Gouffran looks as if he is on a jolly, laughing at everything(although who could blame him where NUFC are concerned...).

As Ashley is unlikely to let any new players of consequence be signed, the club are going to struggle for goals for the next month or so. Only Haidara really showed any improvement on past form and Colback kept things ticking along...and that's ALL that happened, the side just ticked along. They hardly troubled Forster at all apart from a late flurry of corners and I can hardly recall him making a save of any major importance.

This all reminds me of when we were looking to replace managers in the 70s....first it was Joe Harvey in 1975, then Gordon Lee in early 1977 after he realized that the board were not going to give him enough to replace Supermac properly(he wanted to sign Trevor Francis from Brum) and went to Everton when they came calling - the side just drifted although they did try hard for a few months after Lee left in order to get Dinnis into the job - look how that turned out...

The world moves on, NUFC just repeats and rinses ; that is the only consistent thing about the club.

Should Carver be confirmed in the permanent role, we will be definite relegation candidates

Never heard that about Trevor Francis before! Agree with all your points though - the warnings are there and have been for some time. :(

Awful game…..one thing I will say about Southampton is that they were organised.

They knew what they were about and they executed their game plan well. Basically they were like an expensively assembled Tony Pulis' Stoke team from a few years ago.