Newcastle United 1 - 2 Southampton - 17/01/15 - Post-match reaction from page 32

Dave

We were abysmal. No urgency in attack even when we are losing. Start two defensive midfielders at home and still can't stop conceding goals. Do not commit players to attacks so the few attackers we do have are vastly outnumbered. Colo was awful. He kept wandering about in midfield and lost the headers which lead to their goals. Sissoko had a poor game. He certainly didn't look like he was playing for a move elsewhere. Hardly anyone played well. If that's the players playing for Carver I wouldn't want to see them not playing for him. I'm so pleased I cancelled my season ticket.

Who cares, man? We deserved f*** all from that game. We deserve nowt from any game till we appoint a proper manager.

We deserved a penalty, no fool can argue any other way.

Plenty of fools will argue we deserved something out of the game, too. And the Chelsea/Leicester/Burnley games.

True very true, but the laws of the game back the penalty. A fool only uses his opnion

Guest neesy111

Gouffran might not be very good, but he doesn`t hide,emotional muttering.

I've seen him hide plenty of times but that was an above average performance from him today considering his average is shite.

Guest neesy111

Who cares, man? We deserved f*** all from that game. We deserve nowt from any game till we appoint a proper manager.

Plenty of fools will argue we deserved something out of the game, too. And the Chelsea/Leicester/Burnley games.

True very true, but the laws of the game back the penalty. A fool only uses his opnion

The laws of the game also say we lost 2-1, so we deserved nothing from the game.

Well that was awful wasn't it. Pen or no pen I thought we were extremely poor, both defensive errors and zero clinical finishing.

Maybe the irony of this result is it will force them to push ahead and get a manager in because we'll start to nosedive under this current moron.

Mostly turgid stuff really. Thought we played incredibly slowly, trying to build play as if we had Arsenal's quality,  only to see an inevitable heavy touch or errant pass destroy the move. Sissoko was quiet which automatically makes it virtually impossible for us to win.

We clearly need a fresh vision. Everyone's just going through the motions.

I have seen us play much worse this season, but that was a lackluster performance. The crowd and the team were a bit flat. I appreciate that Carver is trying to do something different from Pardew and is actually setting the players for a more attacking formation and play, but we pretty much gave Southampton the middle of the park by letting them have numerical advantage there - again Pardew would have packed the midfield and played to stop Southampton rather than Carver trying to play in on the ground out wide to our perceived strengths, which nearly worked in a few instances. This was all done in an effort to give Cabella freedom in the hole, and I think perhaps part of the problem was lack of experience (for the whole team) playing this way. Soton defended well and they have a great keeper, I wish we could have someone... eerr, yeah. Anyway, that is pretty much the formation and system we should be playing in most games and I hope whomever comes in recognizes that we need to play to the players strengths that we have and not play some stifling long ball game pretending we still had Andy Carroll. Also I hate to say this, but to increase the passion/urgency out there like what we saw in the first half against Chelsea we need a player like Nolan or Barton who is going to demand more and fire up the team on the pitch (De Jong maybe could pull this off?). We are never going to get that from Colocinni or Sissoko. More positives: this game was not totally painful to watch, just disappointing. Thank the gods Pardew is gone.

We play like we have so far under Carver and we will be relegated. I don't see how anyone can argue otherwise. We've played four games and the result from that is one point. To be kind 1 point from 3 league games and 1 point from two winnable league games. If that continues we'll finish with anywhere between 32 and 35 points.  That's almost sure to get us relegated.

Now obviously we could improve a bit from this under Carver just one the natural oddities of Football and the fact players go in and out of form. Cisse might come back and also grab us a few goals and points. On the actual evidence we have to work with though, Carver is a relegation battle manager at best.  Anything else has to be based on pure speculation and very hopeful thinking.

The organisation of the team is dreadful, our attack quickly degenerates into long balls to Perez and the midfield becomes totally vacated when other teams counterattack. We're the absolute epitome of there for the taking in every game. Any manager with an ounce of tactical nouse will take us apart. The only reason we didn't get roasted like a Christmas Turkey today is that Southampton played in mid week and looked a tired team. Otherwise it could have been very embarassing.

Someone was telling me to give the ref a break, it's a tough decision for the pen and decisions even themselves out. I can't believe people still buy into that even out nonsense that pundits love to throw out when a rubbish decision goes for a big team.

The laws of the game also say we lost 2-1, so we deserved nothing from the game.

I never said we did, just said we deserved the penalty

The defending was terrible in the first half. The midfield didn't seem to know whether to close down or hold their position, and did neither. The midfield defended with more spirit and decisiveness in the second half, but we look quite weak now at centre back.

For an experienced centre back, Colo's confidence often looks very brittle, and that can't help the rest of the back four.

I never said we did, just said we deserved the penalty

TBF, I wouldn't even have supreme confidence in any of our players to beat Forster from 12 yards.

Who takes pens now anyway? Sissoko? Perez?