NUFC Sporting Ambition

Minhosa

My younger brother (he is 14 now) initially and rather inexplicably, went through a stage of being a Liverpool fan. The whole family support Newcastle, but all it takes is a couple of kids at school to support one of the 'more successful sides' and mocking from peers seems to be enough to get them to switch allegiances. And I totally get that, no one wants to go into school and get laughed at for getting by other kids when you team gets hammered by theirs.

Managed to turn him anyway, that season in the Championship helped as we were putting in good attacking displays. But it was tough.

Guest Howaythetoon

I have two boys, one almost 3 and the other 13 months old and neither have worn anything NUFC related apart from the oldest who once wore none official branded Toon babygrow. The oldest is just starting to become interested in football and he goes to a weekend footy thing for toddlers, but I won't be getting them Toon tops and nor will they step foot inside SJP until Ashley and co are long gone along with SD and Wonga. I'll be taking my kids to Gateshead games, its cheaper, they play better football, have far more ambition and there is a real community family feel about the club from the owner to the manager to the players and fans.

Unless things change young kids, even if their dads still follow the club, will look at other clubs to follow, clubs who are more ambitious. Kids are not won over by trophies, its exciting players, goals and entertainment. Kids dream of emulating top players and scoring goals in big matches not cloggers like Ryan Taylor and Dummett or trying to stay in the league by beating QPR by 1 goal more. That's not what they think about when kicking the ball about with mates or tugging at their dad's arm to take them to the match.

I long to take my boys to SJP, to enjoy NUFC for what it used to be about, but not while these lot are in charge - that's not NUFC and never will be, or never should be.

Thing is though, I still remember my first evening game to SJP and how amazed I was when I came out into the stand and the lights were on. How inspiring it was. I didn't know who played for Newcastle, where they were in the league or anything like that. It was just a mind blowing experience for a young kid.

All of the problems people have mentioned are true of course, I think the situation is depressing as shit, but a kid could quite easily be spellbound by a trip to the match still.

Thing is though, I still remember my first evening game to SJP and how amazed I was when I came out into the stand and the lights were on. How inspiring it was. I didn't know who played for Newcastle, where they were in the league or anything like that. It was just a mind blowing experience for a young kid.

All of the problems people have mentioned are true of course, I think the situation is depressing as s***, but a kid could quite easily be spellbound by a trip to the match still.

This is it for me, young kids are completely blown away by seeing the pitch and stadium for the first time. They are memories that stay with you and ones that I would not want my kid(s) to miss out on. Who knows, once they get a bit older things might have changed.

It's not the club it's the owner that is the problem. Like I say, things will change.  Ashley and his cronies won't be here for ever.  Cancel your season ticket, fine; don't spend any money on merchandise, fine.  But people should still be proud to be a supporter of a fantastic football club.

:clap:

My younger brother (he is 14 now) initially and rather inexplicably, went through a stage of being a Liverpool fan. The whole family support Newcastle, but all it takes is a couple of kids at school to support one of the 'more successful sides' and mocking from peers seems to be enough to get them to switch allegiances. And I totally get that, no one wants to go into school and get laughed at for getting by other kids when you team gets hammered by theirs.

Managed to turn him anyway, that season in the Championship helped as we were putting in good attacking displays. But it was tough.

He should have tried growing up in Kent in the late 80s when we were terrible.  There weren't too many Newcastle fans around then.  Although I suppose the Keegan years helped somewhat.

We have none. I'll not really care as much until Carver goes (if he does), and we hire the right man to take us forward. Assuming none of that happens, I'll always love this club as I remember it, N-O, and the people I've met and can call friends off here. Ashley will one day go, and hopefully we get a new owner who is worthy of our support.

It's not the club it's the owner that is the problem. Like I say, things will change.  Ashley and his cronies won't be here for ever.  Cancel your season ticket, fine; don't spend any money on merchandise, fine.  But people should still be proud to be a supporter of a fantastic football club.

There's nothing fantastic about NUFC at this precise moment mate. Nothing.

And so long as ridiculous money is pumped into the game and he back pockets his cash he ain't going anywhere, licence to print money at the moment for him so why would he.

My son is a Newcastle United supporter and if I had to suffer growing up then so shall he, it's character building.

That was my dads approach too.

Growing up miles away surrounded by man united and Liverpool "supporters" I got my head kicked in every Monday morning at school. Yeah cheers dad, awesome!

Guest thenorthumbrian

The ambition is to stay mid-table and keep picking up the Sky money, it's a soul destroying approach to what should be a competitive sport.

I believe that Ashley is more than aware that, after relentlessly devouring the ambition of a region over a prolonged period, there`ll come a tipping point at which the "product" will cease to be an attractive "brand" with which the majority of punters (& their siblings)would wish to align to. Yes we`ll all remain "supporters" by & large but in a more latent early 1980s sense. As gates receipts & merchandising revenues decrease & the stadium atmosphere consistently morgue-like, the "product" & its earning potential would decrease accordingly.

People would simply decide that if he`s so insistent that things are done his way, by his rules, cos its his club, Then fuck him, he can keep his fucking club.

I reckon he`ll merely bank on throwing in a "wow" signing or two will be all that's required to reel back in this fickle lot & he`ll be sound (assuming he gives enough of a fuck to even care).

The problem will always be: That folk are more inclined to chuck it in than stand shoulder to shoulder & demand change.

...& In the end you get the club you deserve.

I believe that Ashley is more than aware that, after relentlessly devouring the ambition of a region over a prolonged period, there`ll come a tipping point at which the "product" will cease to be an attractive "brand" with which the majority of punters (& their siblings)would wish to align to. Yes we`ll all remain "supporters" by & large but in a more latent early 1980s sense. As gates receipts & merchandising revenues decrease & the stadium atmosphere consistently morgue-like, the "product" & its earning potential would decrease accordingly.

People would simply decide that if he`s so insistent that things are done his way, by his rules, cos its his club, Then f*** him, he can keep his f***ing club.

I reckon he`ll merely bank on throwing in a "wow" signing or two will be all that's required to reel back in this fickle lot & he`ll be sound (assuming he gives enough of a f*** to even care).

The problem will always be: That folk are more inclined to chuck it in than stand shoulder to shoulder & demand change.

You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

People would simply decide that if he`s so insistent that things are done his way, by his rules, cos its his club, Then f*** him, he can keep his f***ing club.

I reckon he`ll merely bank on throwing in a "wow" signing or two will be all that's required to reel back in this fickle lot & he`ll be sound (assuming he gives enough of a f*** to even care).

:thup:

Aye of course, I feel the same. The atmosphere the other day sounded appalling. But like you say, why would anyone get excited?

I don't think it's fatal, a new season and a good manager would make all the difference in the short term. But obviously there's no reason to believe Ashley won't just appoint Carver.

My kids will probably end up being NY Redbull or NYC FC fans. Hopefully a team in Queens pops up by then cause those places are far from where I live.

Being a Newcastle fan in America has a bit of charm to it. If I tell someone I support us, they know I really like football because who else would subject themselves to this torture but a true fan of the club and the game. I can't respect the Barca, Real, Man Utd, Chelsea, and even Man City(Yes, I see people wearing Man City shirts in NYC). They don't know what it is to be a true fan. Over here you hear people say "I became a fan of 'Team X' after the CL final". It just sounds so wrong.