NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

Just now, Stifler said:

I don’t get it.

The Amazon documentary isn’t on traditional broadcast. They could have had an episode drop later in the season, or at the end. They could have went all out. Had an episode dedicated to the deal, people designing it, and the final product revealed.

Instead we have nearly a year until you can buy any of their shirts, a number of buildings tagged in Newcastle with the Adidas stripes for no reason, and possibly the clubs own merchandise sales falling because people would rather wait it out and get the Adidas stuff.

Well this is an interesting take.

You're right about waiting it out though, although TBF I always knew I wouldn't buy anything until Castore were gone. 

I remember my mate used to deliver The Chronicle and so decorated his entire bedroom with the free Andy Cole poster you got in The Pink. Like his entire room completely covered and wallpaper pasted over, like he was a stalker. I can't even imagine the pain he went through having to scrape them all off when we sold him. :lol:

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Well this is an interesting take.

You're right about waiting it out though, although TBF I always knew I wouldn't buy anything until Castore were gone. 

I have to say I agree with him. Has anyone in the history of football announced a new supplier for the next season 3 games in to a season and what just over a month after castore revealed the 3rd kit. It’s all very bizarre but it’s also exciting have to say that 

3 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

I remember my mate used to deliver The Chronicle and so decorated his entire bedroom with the free Andy Cole poster you got in The Pink. Like his entire room completely covered and wallpaper pasted over, like he was a stalker. I can't even imagine the pain he went through having to scrape them all off when we sold him. :lol:

????

Full Alan Partridge treatment:

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

I don’t get it.

The Amazon documentary isn’t on traditional broadcast. They could have had an episode drop later in the season, or at the end. They could have went all out. Had an episode dedicated to the deal, people designing it, and the final product revealed.

Instead we have nearly a year until you can buy any of their shirts, a number of buildings tagged in Newcastle with the Adidas stripes for no reason, and possibly the clubs own merchandise sales falling because people would rather wait it out and get the Adidas stuff.

My feeling is this is a fuck you to Castore.  If the deal is as bad as what people say and we gain little from the shirt sales this is a very efficient way to piss them off.  Before Christmas kill a decent amount of sales by 1 announcing it and 2 opening a way to register interest.

The way they have handled this is night and day to the sponsors.

Something has gone on behind the scenes for sure.  I don't believe this but maybe they found out that Ashley does have his fingers in the pot.  More likely the termination of the deal was not smooth.

2 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I don’t get it.

If its true the club only get a small percentage anyway, then as I said yesterday, they'll be getting even less anyway as Crapstore can't even supply the current demand. 

Seems to have been particularly bad this summer, which has probably been why the club has pushed to break the deal.

Also, theres the quality issues which has led to loads of people heading to the likes of DHGate for cheaper shirts, or even just because DHGate can actually supply!

No doubt Crapstore will still try and push out a load of limited edition stuff and multiple training/travel wear ranges, but yeah, be interested to see how they sell, if they do.

1 minute ago, RS said:

Some fucking moaning going on this season. Strips, cards, tickets, stadium.  Was less whinging when big Mike was at the helm. 

Can’t see anyone moaning in here. Other than at Amazon for revealing it early. It’s great news that we are with adidas 

The club must get absolute peanuts from the sale of the Castore merchandise because announcing this now is going to torpedo current season merchandise. Id assume if you haven’t bought some gear or kit yet, you’ll just think twice or wait for it to be on an enormous discount. Which further seems to point that the club are well and truly over the partnership with Castore. 

1 minute ago, Kanji said:

The club must get absolute peanuts from the sale of the Castore merchandise because announcing this now is going to torpedo current season merchandise. Id assume if you haven’t bought some gear or kit yet, you’ll just think twice or wait for it to be on an enormous discount. Which further seems to point that the club are well and truly over the partnership with Castore. 

I’d imagine so. The club shop is just a Newcastle branded castore shop I’m sure. It’ll be great to get an actual club shop back. Not a castore store or a sports direct 

37 minutes ago, Izakaya said:

Get the fuck in. Pencil cases and curtains are back. 

They used to do so much, you used to be able to get wallpaper, until that got diverted to Ashley’s wallet.

Loads of clubs now have Lego versions of their stadiums, and Subbuto players etc. Heck at one point we had a Monopoly board. We used to sell the best Sarsaparilla sweets.

When Ashley came in though it just went downhill on what you could get, I went info’s Hull’s club shops once before a match and they had PlayStation skins and all sorts. The new Spurs mega store is massive, for the NFL they have enough space for a decent amount of every team merchandise. I don’t think I could imagine what they fill it with when Spurs play there.

Aye most of it is tacky, but kids love it and it gets them involved in the club.

We can’t even buy an iPhone case without having to use Redbubble. 

3 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I don’t get it.

How many Amazon Prime viewers want to watch a documentary episode dedicated to NUFC signing a deal with Adidas that airs months after the original series came out

More chance of successfully pitching Monkey Tennis to Tony Hayers 

2 minutes ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

I would have thought that the show was finished before the shirt issues.

Yeah probably, but I guess what I meant was that Castore had issues last season too, with quality and supply, so yeah, the Adidas talks were already happeneing.
But then Castore still haven't done themselves any favours this summer, which has been worse again.

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

I have to say I agree with him. Has anyone in the history of football announced a new supplier for the next season 3 games in to a season and what just over a month after castore revealed the 3rd kit. It’s all very bizarre but it’s also exciting have to say that 

Yes. There is precedent for this. 

Man United announced they ended their Nike deal and signed their Adidas deal in July 2014 when they launched their final Nike kit. Their Adidas deal started the following season. 

Chelsea announced their Nike deal in mid October 2016. 

I posted weeks ago about this but I think some other clubs did Dec and Jan announcements.  

1 minute ago, Stifler said:

They used to do so much, you used to be able to get wallpaper, until that got diverted to Ashley’s wallet.

Loads of clubs now have Lego versions of their stadiums, and Subbuto players etc. Heck at one point we had a Monopoly board. We used to sell the best Sarsaparilla sweets.

When Ashley came in though it just went downhill on what you could get, I went info’s Hull’s club shops once before a match and they had PlayStation skins and all sorts. The new Spurs mega store is massive, for the NFL they have enough space for a decent amount of every team merchandise. I don’t think I could imagine what they fill it with when Spurs play there.

Aye most of it is tacky, but kids love it and it gets them involved in the club.

We can’t even buy an iPhone case without having to use Redbubble. 

You used to get Newcastle PlayStation skins under Ashley too. 

the club shop in the 90s early 00s was brilliant 

2 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

How many Amazon Prime viewers want to watch a documentary episode dedicated to NUFC signing a deal with Adidas that airs months after the original series came out

More chance of successfully pitching Monkey Tennis to Tony Hayers 

I mean loads of Netflix viewers went back and watched a 2nd season of Sunderland’s documentary, and Rob McElhenney went out and bought a football club.

6 minutes ago, 54 said:

I really hope Adidas smash it out the park next season, but looking at some of their kits over the last few years, I am far from hopeful :lol:

I think they’ll play safe and go down a modern day take of a retro kit. There was a lot of focus on the retro kits in the documentary. It’s a shame the deal didn’t start this summer as there was a great chance to have a kit similar to last time we were in the CL which would have been decent  and great marketing 

I can’t see it being something mad like the Juventus kit

Edited by gdm

Yeah, I think theres been mention of heritage and stuff between the brands, and everyone should know how loved the 'Entertainers' kits were/are, so I also think the first new Adidas kits will play safe, and be a modern take on them.

Subsequent seasons, they may start to play a bit, or at least with away kits.

Edited by TK-421

14 minutes ago, Stifler said:

I mean loads of Netflix viewers went back and watched a 2nd season of Sunderland’s documentary, and Rob McElhenney went out and bought a football club.

There is to be no Amazon stand alone episode dedicated to the Adidas deal.

And I've listened to your ideas, I've listened to them all, and I haven't liked a single one.

giphy.gif

Edited by bobbydazzla