NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

3 minutes ago, Turnbull2000 said:

That shirt and the prospect of playing in Saudi colours is grotesque.

I don’t disagree but at same time it’s getting blown out of proportion 

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10814669/Newcastle-stick-decision-launch-green-white-Saudi-Arabia-away-kit.html

Sportsmail revealed on Thursday that Eddie Howe's side are set to turn out in a strip which bears a striking resemblance to the green and white of the Saudi national team next season.

The shirt has been signed off by chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan, who is also governor of Saudi's Public Investment Fund, the club's majority owners. But the move has been met with widespread criticism.

The club's supporters are split, with many taking to social media in protest. 

One said: 'I hate this, and I'm a huge Newcastle fan. I just can't get on board with integrating Saudi into our brand and identity.' 

But Alex Hurst, host of the True Faith podcast, said: 'This was to be expected and I don't have an issue with it. If they changed the home shirt, that would be different.

'But it would be hypocritical of me to welcome the money they spent on the team in January and then criticise when they want to make a change kit with links to their own country.'

19 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sportsnews/article-10814669/Newcastle-stick-decision-launch-green-white-Saudi-Arabia-away-kit.html

Sportsmail revealed on Thursday that Eddie Howe's side are set to turn out in a strip which bears a striking resemblance to the green and white of the Saudi national team next season.

The shirt has been signed off by chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan, who is also governor of Saudi's Public Investment Fund, the club's majority owners. But the move has been met with widespread criticism.

The club's supporters are split, with many taking to social media in protest. 

One said: 'I hate this, and I'm a huge Newcastle fan. I just can't get on board with integrating Saudi into our brand and identity.' 

But Alex Hurst, host of the True Faith podcast, said: 'This was to be expected and I don't have an issue with it. If they changed the home shirt, that would be different.

'But it would be hypocritical of me to welcome the money they spent on the team in January and then criticise when they want to make a change kit with links to their own country.'

Hurst is about as far away from the fanzine ethos as it’s possible to get. Daddy’s taxi firm bought him a fanzine so that he gets to brown nose the club when it suits

1 minute ago, Robster said:

" Newcastle have never, ever played in Green "
Do your research son.

I think green may have appeared more often in change kits than any other colour in my lifetime - though it may be second to blue.  I can think of six kits just off the top of my head.

It’s an utterly inane point the lad is making in that respect

We will be ridiculed at away grounds. Promoting the KSA in the faces of of premier league crowds and the English media will backfire badly.

I don't think shirt sales revenues in KSA is a genuine rationale and I am a tad uncomfortable about NUFC being used in this way.

Hopefully they will realise the errors of their way and it will be short lived - like when fat Mike renamed SJP.

That said I quite like the design - if they changed the green to blue/maroon it would be a nice shirt.

3 minutes ago, DMLeazesender said:

We will be ridiculed at away grounds. Promoting the KSA in the faces of of premier league crowds and the English media will backfire badly.

I don't think shirt sales revenues in KSA is a genuine rationale and I am a tad uncomfortable about NUFC being used in this way.

Hopefully they will realise the errors of their way and it will be short lived - like when fat Mike renamed SJP.

That said I quite like the design - if they changed the green to blue/maroon it would be a nice shirt.

Who cares, everything we do now will be criticised.  Just wait till the sponsorship deals get announced.  Same shit, different day.

3 minutes ago, DMLeazesender said:

It definitely isn’t in terms of the club’s coffers - as I mentioned the other day on this thread, the club normally gets roughly 8% of every strip sale (some bigger clubs negotiate a higher %).  Man City - a far more successful than us - sold 1m shirts worldwide this year.  KSA has a population of 34m - how big is that potential market?  A few tens of thousands?  Maybe a hundred thousand?  A hundred thousand shirts at £60 a pop, with us getting 8% before tax = roughly half a million quid.  It’s not even worth the vitriol from a financial perspective, never mind everything else. 

The owners also seem to have forgotten that sportswashing usually needs obvious success before it is effective …

Got to admit, I think it's quite bland, it's very much a meh strip. Most of our away strips recently have been, as have been most I've seen of other clubs.

I'd love them to come up with an away strip that we stuck with, the design can vary just like the home strip but the basics stay. (Personally I'd go for the Brazil style of the early/mid 70s or the hoops of 95/96)

2 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

Who cares, everything we do now will be criticised.  Just wait till the sponsorship deals get announced.  Same shit, different day.

Nah, I think the sponsorship deals etc are expected - this is almost like flying their flag in public.

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I always loved the ‘70s Brazil kit.  About the only good thing Puma did was bringing that one back roughly a decade ago

Shorts were too dark in the reboot.

Just now, DMLeazesender said:

Nah, I think the sponsorship deals etc are expected - this is almost like flying their flag in public.

It is but then PIF own 80% of us.  It's like the media are in denial.  They know they own us but as long as they stay in their box, they can pretend they dont?

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

It definitely isn’t in terms of the club’s coffers - as I mentioned the other day on this thread, the club normally gets roughly 8% of every strip sale (some bigger clubs negotiate a higher %).  Man City - a far more successful than us - sold 1m shirts worldwide this year.  KSA has a population of 34m - how big is that potential market?  A few tens of thousands?  Maybe a hundred thousand?  A hundred thousand shirts at £60 a pop, with us getting 8% before tax = roughly half a million quid.  It’s not even worth the vitriol from a financial perspective, never mind everything else. 

The owners also seem to have forgotten that sportswashing usually needs obvious success before it is effective …

Yes, I didn't know the figures/breakdown but knew the would be fairly irrelevant in the great scheme of things.

Just now, madras said:

Shorts were too dark in the reboot.

They were, that’s true.  Still, much better than all those drab adidas efforts from the late ‘90s - late ‘00s.  I have an irrational dislike for NUFC having white or black away kits.  Brazil ‘70s, Silver ‘80s, Norwich ‘90s, and generally blue and reds are all good for me. 

2 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

It is but then PIF own 80% of us.  It's like the media are in denial.  They know they own us but as long as they stay in their box, they can pretend they dont?

Yeah, I think it's always going to be a fine line.

4 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

This is why I can’t get too wound up by the kit - it seems to be the NUFC press who are having the biggest meltdowns.   Caulkin going from fawning interviews to getting jumpy about the kit, as if he wasn’t aware of the owners until it was stated so publically.