NUFC kits & merchandise

Ryan

4 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

They were, that’s true.  Still, much better than all those drab adidas efforts from the late ‘90s - late ‘00s.  I have an irrational dislike for NUFC having white or black away kits.  Brazil ‘70s, Silver ‘80s, Norwich ‘90s, and generally blue and reds are all good for me. 

Never been keen on one colour top, one colour shorts type strips. My formative years were the 70s, stripes,hoops, vertical bands (Brum, Carlisle), Horizontal bands (Boro, WHU away), Diagonal stripe (Palace, Stoke away), Yorks big Y, Orients 2 stripes, Coventrys piping........I'm gonna spend an hour on the historic football kits site now, thanks a bunch.

Just now, madras said:

Never been keen on one colour top, one colour shorts type strips. My formative years were the 70s, stripes,hoops, vertical bands (Brum, Carlisle), Horizontal bands (Boro, WHU away), Diagonal stripe (Palace, Stoke away), Yorks big Y, Orients 2 stripes, Coventrys piping........I'm gonna spend an hour on the historic football kits site now, thanks a bunch.

Haha enjoy - just to add, I’m in full agreement with what you said re having a standard away kit strip, just as B&W stripes are the home kit.  I still think of Arsenal’s away kits being yellow tops & blue shorts, Leeds being their previous home kit of blue & yellow, Man Utd & Liverpool being white tops and black shorts.  

2 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Haha enjoy - just to add, I’m in full agreement with what you said re having a standard away kit strip, just as B&W stripes are the home kit.  I still think of Arsenal’s away kits being yellow tops & blue shorts, Leeds being their previous home kit of blue & yellow, Man Utd & Liverpool being white tops and black shorts.  

If you check Man Utd and Liverpool haven't been that regular.

It can't be that hard to choose colours for an away strip that wouldn't clash with the home meaning no need for a 3rd..........oh now I get it.

5 hours ago, macphisto said:

Sportswashing is basically positive PR, the actions of our fanbase have nothing to do with it. Saudi Arabia wants to be associated with a successful Newcastle and other sporting events so those stories dominate people's perceptions of Saudi Arabia and not the stories people currently associate with the country. It's the reason none of the Gulf countries have bought an established top club, say Man U, as their success would not be so closely associated with the ownership and wouldn't really be a "story". The column inches generated by football and sport in general probably dominate more than any other area of the media and are read by supporters all over the world; it is fantastic publicity. 

It's also worth noting that outside of Europe and North America, most people only think about Islam and oil when it comes to Saudi Arabia (in general people in Africa/Asia don't think about the human rights issues (just anecdotal evidence based on my travels and living in different places)) and the Saudi's now want to be known for more than that. The success of Newcastle will also not attract anywhere near the kind of negative scrutiny in those countries like we've seen in England. 

In the medium-term, the Saudi's will want to use Sportswashing to increase tourism in the country/create a travel hub. We are all used to Europeans using Dubai as a bridge to Asia but it's much more than that. For example, from Sudan down East Africa through Ethiopia, Kenya, Somalia, Tanzania, Uganda and Rwanda, all of the upper middle class families in those countries travel to Dubai once or twice a year to do their annual shopping. I'm sure the Saudi's want a bit of that and Jeddah is only about an hour from some of those places as opposed to four hours to Dubai. Long-term the Saudi's will also be looking to attract foreign direct investment through sportswashing.

Fair, I think you’ve summed this up very well 👍

To be honest I know this might make me sound like a Saudi apologist, but quite ironically we shouldn’t see things in black and white. The PIF has over 1000 people and I’m sure many have good intentions and don’t support all of the kingdom’s actions. When people talk about us having the most evil owners possible, they’re clearly being selective over who they’re specifically referring to to suit their opinion, rather than as a whole (same the other way when referring to Staveley and co). It’s perfectly reasonable to see Saudi Arabia in some positive lights while acknowledging there are horrendous human rights issues that can’t be ignored. That this is now happening doesn’t mean the latter gets replaced - almost like some morally superior people want us to hate everything about the country. 

As has been raised before people are selective over what angers them when it comes to sport. Sky Sports is showing tourism adverts for Saudi Arabia - this is far less subtle rebranding than a short the team will barely ever wear and will barely sell here. Good excuse for some online attention though. 

4 hours ago, Awaymag said:

Lol, so what other colours would you like to ban?

Glad you’re using your brain. I don’t want to ban any colors. But a freshly sensitive and always sensitive greater media will always latch on to a very similar to KSA national team color scheme. So it’s bad move by castore and the club to do it - unless they come out and explain why it’s not bad and why they did it in the face of massive backlash. It’s that simple.

4 hours ago, PauloGeordio said:

I can’t wait for the club to address this and reveal the sponsor.

Nobody would have given a fuck if there was a golf Saudi or aramco logo on the kit. The issue is it’s a complete rip on the ksa national team colors. But if you can’t see past that then fair enough. 

for the record I hate the fume and I think the whole thing is stupid. But now it’s out there the right thing to do is pull it or address it. They have not done either yet and that is not sitting well with me. 

7 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Glad you’re using your brain. I don’t want to ban any colors. But a freshly sensitive and always sensitive greater media will always latch on to a very similar to KSA national team color scheme. So it’s bad move by castore and the club to do it - unless they come out and explain why it’s not bad and why they did it in the face of massive backlash. It’s that simple.

Nobody would have given a fuck if there was a golf Saudi or aramco logo on the kit. The issue is it’s a complete rip on the ksa national team colors. But if you can’t see past that then fair enough. 

for the record I hate the fume and I think the whole thing is stupid. But now it’s out there the right thing to do is pull it or address it. They have not done either yet and that is not sitting well with me. 

Nah its done now, a mistake yes (give it a year or si to bed in), but changing it now just means the screaming gets louder on anything we do.

Then again.......its not official yet.

1 hour ago, nbthree3 said:

'But it would be hypocritical of me to welcome the money they spent on the team in January and then criticise when they want to make a change kit with links to their own country.'

Edited by veriaqa

2 minutes ago, nbthree3 said:

I don't understand that line either

'We'll happily accept spending their money as long as we are not reminded of where it comes from'

Edited by Nine

I don't really think the hypocrisy charge is what people think it is. You have to be a hypocrite to deal with any of this shit, everyone is one at some angle - if you don't give a shit you're a hypocrite in other ways [unless you don't give a shit about anything, which is hardly an admirable position in itself].

The way I'm able to deal with still supporting Newcastle with our current ownership is separating my beloved club from who owns it (similar in some ways to how I did with Ashley) - I'm supporting Newcastle United, the badge, the colours, the club - not Mike Ashley, not Saudi Arabia. The reason the shirt's horrible to me is because it is an attempt to blur those lines - the colours are clearly meant to hark to the Saudi flag.

Edited by Inferior Acuña

24 minutes ago, madras said:

Nah its done now, a mistake yes (give it a year or si to bed in), but changing it now just means the screaming gets louder on anything we do.

Then again.......its not official yet.

Very very true mate. Which there is now an argument for that too. 

So far the club have responded and communicated in face of bad press. Let’s swe what they do. 

I actually think there's some chance the shirt could be an issue for the odd player. If a player has any moral misgivings about coming to us (I doubt there are many, but there must be some) they might be willing to hold their nose up to the point of wearing a shirt with this implied meaning.

8 minutes ago, Kanji said:

So far the club have responded and communicated in face of bad press in the past I feel. Let’s see what they do on this now  

16 minutes ago, Kanji said:

So far the club have responded and communicated in face of bad press. Let’s swe what they do. 

These will have been leaked for this purpose, gauge the response and react accordingly. Not sure the Saudis will give a shit mind.

1 minute ago, Nine said:

These will have been leaked for this purpose, gauge the response and react accordingly. Not sure the Saudis will give a shit mind.

If they'll not give a shit they've not been leaked to gauge a response.

5 minutes ago, madras said:

If they'll not give a shit they've not been leaked to gauge a response.

Well people at the club might have leaked to see the response but the overlords might not care. Personally I cant see them going back on it if they are official, and rightfully so.. people need to get over themselves.

Edited by Nine

Had time to chew the fat .

Needless thing to do IMHO,feel this kit could have been kept for the future, we all know what it means to portray. 

Either we start by not giving a fuck what people think or we do. It's like a name change of the stadium a wee bit , we hated it , this is a step too early for me to do this .

Not sure it’s as simple as people ‘getting over themselves’ tbf.  It isn’t a good look, and it is only going provoke a response.  Besides, having spent a year and a bit ‘proving’ separation, the club are opening up to potential issues should the noise become so great that the PL / govt intervenes.  Not a smart move at all.

On another point I’ve seen elsewhere - one of the usual defences offered up in the past is that the PIF also invest in Disney / Uber / name of another brand.  But they don’t expect the Disney logo to have the shahada written underneath it. This is all completely unnecessary and the response was always going to happen - and for those who absolutely love every part of this takeover, it should be remembered that this isn’t a ‘fixed’ settlement between the PL, PIF and NUFC - the KSA govt is meant to have nowt to do with us.  Bedecking the team in the national strip of KSA is potentially opening them up to further questions.  This is honestly one of the stupidest decisions I’ve seen by NUFC since … well, there were so many under Ashley it’s hard to keep track 

19 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Not sure it’s as simple as people ‘getting over themselves’ tbf.  It isn’t a good look, and it is only going provoke a response.  Besides, having spent a year and a bit ‘proving’ separation, the club are opening up to potential issues should the noise become so great that the PL / govt intervenes.  Not a smart move at all.

Just for the record - PSG had a Qatar coloured away kit. Chelsea had an away kit with the Russian flag on the collar a few years ago.

Where was this outrage then?

Personally I dont give a shit about politics, I wont spend one minute of my time or energy to go out of my way and think about it. However its clear to me that this controversial away shirt theme is not a new thing but when it comes to us its different, on the surface it seems like an absolute over reaction brought on by certain outlets and football personalities. 

Edited by Nine