FIFA World Cup: 2030 hosts confirmed as Spain/Portugal/Morocco & Argentina/Paraguay/Uruguay

Noodles

For what it's worth England got the highest fine for wearing poopies on an armband, Wales and Northern Ireland who also had fans hold up paper which showed a poppy got lesser fines, and Republic of Ireland got the lowest fine for displaying the date of the Easter uprising.

Rightly so. Dorty bassa's.

I don't see what else fifa could do. Having told the FA they weren't prepared to make an exception to their own rule, they couldn't allow the FA to get away with it.

Perhaps they could deduct the fine from the £14m England spent on preparing their 2018 World Cup bid when the venue had already been decided by FIFA, and send the change (£13,960,000) to the FA to spend on grass-roots football and make a donation to veterans' charities. That would be equitable, no?

Just ironic that an organisation, as corrupt as Fifa have been proven, fine national FA's for supporting a registered charity. At least it was only fines though and not points deductions etc.

Whacking a poppy on a shirt or on a card is not supporting a charity imo. It's not like this is an unknown/relatively small charity that the FA are giving coverage to.

If the FA cared that much they could have donated a large sum of money to the Poppy Appeal as their "gesture".

I don't see what else fifa could do. Having told the FA they weren't prepared to make an exception to their own rule, they couldn't allow the FA to get away with it.

Perhaps they could deduct the fine from the £14m England spent on preparing their 2018 World Cup bid when the venue had already been decided by FIFA, and send the change (£13,960,000) to the FA to spend on grass-roots football and make a donation to veterans' charities. That would be equitable, no?

The FA should definitely sue fifa over that, as I thin the aussies are doing over 2022.

Just ironic that an organisation, as corrupt as Fifa have been proven, fine national FA's for supporting a registered charity. At least it was only fines though and not points deductions etc.

Whacking a poppy on a shirt or on a card is not supporting a charity imo. It's not like this is an unknown/relatively small charity that the FA are giving coverage to.

If the FA cared that much they could have donated a large sum of money to the Poppy Appeal as their "gesture".

Pretty sure large donations would have been made to the poppy appeal.

I never really got the big deal over this, FIFA have a very understandable policy designed to keep political fucknuttery out of football, and it's up to countries whether they obey the rule or take a fine. If it's really as important as so many think it is to wear the poppy then you take the fine and move on.

I never really got the big deal over this, FIFA have a very understandable policy designed to keep political fucknuttery out of football, and it's up to countries whether they obey the rule or take a fine. If it's really as important as so many think it is to wear the poppy then you take the fine and move on.

We should pay the fine when FIFA settle up for the losses incurred by the FA as a result of the proven, industrial-scale corruption surrounding the 2018 and 2022 World Cup venue 'wins'.

We should pay the fine when FIFA settle up for the losses incurred by the FA as a result of the proven, industrial-scale corruption surrounding the 2018 and 2022 World Cup venue 'wins'.

By losses you mean the fancy handbags we bought for the delegates wives?

No, I mean the £14m total to prepare the bid that was fixed. It was the FA's refusal to pay proper bribes that meant we were never in the running.

The bags obviously didn't make much difference when FIFA wanted bribes in the tens of millions of dollars for their votes, so yes, we'll have the bags back, or their monetary equivalent, and send that and another large donation to the Earl Haig fund; and the remaining £13,900,000+ also, and decide what to do with that as and when.

Also the watch that we had to give back [emoji38]

Not sure the watches Brazil - and delegates were ordered to return, in an attempt to convince people FIFA is not still uterly corrupt - gave out for WC 2014 are relevant here.

Not sure the watches Brazil - and delegates were ordered to return, in an attempt to convince people FIFA is not still uterly corrupt - gave out for WC 2014 are relevant here.

Course they are can't attack Fifa for being corrupt when Greg took his watch and refused for ages to give it back. We are part of the problem.

It's a load of bollocks really. As much as I agree with anyone's right not to wear the poppy, and find the whole annual circus surrounding it tedious, I think if people want to wear it they also should be able to. I know anything can mean different things to different people, but the poppy as a political symbol is a world away from shitcunts like Argentina holding up banners in support of invading the Falklands before kick-off. The problem I'd imagine from FIFA's perspective is if you allow one, it's harder not to allow another and it would be a slippery slope. If we want the slightest chance of hosting a world cup in our lifetimes the best thing is to take the fine and not kick up a fuss.