England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

It's not form. He's been in a constant decline since 2011 to the point where he's now a total physical weakling and barely a threat to the opposition. He's done a Torres just with more penalties and less horror misses so nobody has cottoned on.

He's being played as a workhorse, man. Has been for far too long. In a more static role he'd still get lots of goals and make stuff happen.

Bollocks, he's no good whatever role he plays. Man Utd played themselves into a corner thinking he was their man through the middle, cleared all the decks for Rooney and then realised early on this season what a mistake they'd made. Hence the panic buy of Martial, who already offers far more to the side.

Absolutely no chance we should be going into ANOTHER tournament with him in the side. It's just daft when you have Sturridge, Kane, Sterling etc who are all powerful, pacey and hungry. That's our biggest strength because the midfield options (especially when Wilshere is inevitably injured) are poor. We need to be able to worry teams on the break as that's our best bet.

Really like Rooney but he's been shite for two years now. His touch and everything. That's not form. Personally think he needs to be played as a #9 these days and simply instructed to score goals. He'll still have the intelligent movement to do that.

It's not form. He's been in a constant decline since 2011 to the point where he's now a total physical weakling and barely a threat to the opposition. He's done a Torres just with more penalties and less horror misses so nobody has cottoned on.

He's being played as a workhorse, man. Has been for far too long. In a more static role he'd still get lots of goals and make stuff happen.

Exactly. He almost exclusively plays up front on his own. It's ridiculous. He has to cover far too much ground. I'm not at all of the opinion Rooney is as good a player as he has been or would have hopefully been, but to say a player like Kane starts ahead of him is silly, imo.

Exactly. He almost exclusively plays up front on his own. It's ridiculous. He has to cover far too much ground. I'm not at all of the opinion Rooney is as good a player as he has been or would have hopefully been, but to say a player like Kane starts ahead of him is silly, imo.

Exclusively upfront on his own? That's not true at all, he played deeper last season for large spells and has frequently played in a two with Welbeck, Hernandez, van Persie etc in the recent past. It's only this season where he's been played upfront on his own because that's where he demanded to play, and Man Utd totally cleared the decks to make it happen.

He's played a multitude of different roles over the last few years, each of them with decreasing output as his body has gradually given up on him.

What would people say is currently Englands best XI, Injuries not counting? Id probably go with this personally:

Hart

Clyne    Smalling    Stones    Shaw

Wilshere    Barkley

Walcottt                              Sterling

Kane      Sturridge

I feel like there are a few people that i'm missing, but thats something like it.

Any excuse :lol:

From Wiki

After the film's events

Main article: Mike Bassett: Manager

In the follow up TV series, Mike Bassett: Manager, it is revealed that Bassett was sacked by England after failing to qualify for the 2004 European Championships, including a defeat to Liechtenstein. Bassett subsequently guided Newcastle United to two consecutive relegations, before unsuccessful returns to Norwich and Colchester lead to him taking over at his father's former club, Wirral County.

THE fuck is this!

Id love to of known what England could of done with the 2004 Rooney , Our best English hope in decades got wasted by fergie

I don't think he's been the same player since he injured his ankle against Bayern, and Fergie, in desperation, still picked him for the second leg the following week. He broke down after 20 minutes, but IIRC, it still took a while before he was brought off.

He's still a very good player, but he carried that Man U side for two or three years, and yes, that's probably taken its toll. If defenders press him early on, he finds it difficult to evade them and he struggles to retain possession.

Once he's on the ball though, he can still produce.

Guest firetotheworks

The only mental thing about it is that as things stand it's not that mental a suggestion. I've said before that I think Kane just screams one season wonder to me, but Rooney has been dog shit for ages now.

It's not a form thing with Rooney, he's on the slide and will be past it soon, he's done physically. Teams always keep their biggest name players around long past their sell by date and then look back at it as a mistake, I'm sure that will be the case here. Kane on the other hand looks like he could be a good player for the next 10 years.

Anyway it doesn't matter, Rooney will start if he is half fit, and it should really be his last chance as a starter in a tournament.

Guest Roger Kint

If Rooney continues to do nothing, he has to be dropped until he recovers some form. That should just be standard.

Sadly imo only injury will stop him playing under Hodgson.

Guest Howaythetoon

Rooney is spent physically and mentally. He is way off the pace and isn't a quarter of the player he used to be. I'd take him, but only as a squad member. I'd play Kane up front with Sturridge and Wallcott either side of him.

Guest Roger Kint

Rooney is spent physically and mentally. He is way off the pace and isn't a quarter of the player he used to be. I'd take him, but only as a squad member. I'd play Kane up front with Sturridge and Wallcott either side of him.

:thup:

I just remember folk saying this about Shearer when he was about 29. Great players find a way to reinvent themselves a bit and Rooney's struggling with that but he'll find his way eventually.

You might be right, but he should not be playing for England while he's not in form IMO. Let him recover, then put him back in the England team.

Rooney's played over 500 competitive games in his career so far and has never taken care of his body the way he should.

I think it's more mental than anything but I won't right off him being physically finished. ALthough against Arsenal for example he looked decent physically but his football was awful.

And under LVG he doesn't run around like a madman either. He's had to play the most disciplined role of his career so far. I think that's more the problem than being worn out.

I still think Rooney brings a lot more to games then just goals. He puts himself about, will not shirk responsibility and gets involved at every opportunity.

His passing is very underrated, he rarely gives away possession and contributes to a lot of Man Utds/Englands build up play.

That being said, he is a striker and needs to score.

I'd play him simply because I believe he brings more to the team then any of the other options do - I'd play him and Sterling just behind a main striker (depending on whether Sturridge is glued together properly or Kane as his replacement).

I just remember folk saying this about Shearer when he was about 29. Great players find a way to reinvent themselves a bit and Rooney's struggling with that but he'll find his way eventually.

Rooney in his prime isn't face to lace Shearer's boots even after that injury at Goodison.

Rooney in his prime isn't face to lace Shearer's boots even after that injury at Goodison.

Prime Wayne Rooney isn't fit to lace the boots of the Shearer who played under Gullit, Bobby, Souness and Roeder?

Obviously not even you are stupid enough to genuinely believe that, so I'll leave it there.

• 3 weeks later...

Goalkeepers:

Jack Butland (Stoke City),

Joe Hart (Manchester City),

Tom Heaton (Burnley)

Defenders: Ryan Bertrand (Southampton),

Gary Cahill (Chelsea),

Nathaniel Clyne (Liverpool),

Kieran Gibbs (Arsenal),

Phil Jones (Manchester United),

Chris Smalling (Manchester United),

John Stones (Everton),