England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

:lol: Only 4 words of that post could even slightly be construed as "attacking a poster", when it really only apples to the individual post. And in fairness, the sentence "Shearer was ten times the player Rooney is" is asking for trouble. Seeing as though it's ridiculous.

Its ridiculous to take that expression literally though isn't it? We've all used it at one time or another.

Vardy and Kane must start, don't care if Rooney is the captain and all time top scorer or not, you should pick players in form to win a game, not players with a big reputation. Kane should be the first strikers name on the team sheet, he's been the best English striker for two seasons. Vardy has been the second best since August so it's not as if it's only a few game spell where he has stood out.

Potentially could be a great Summer, but this is England and nothing ever goes to plan.

Guest Phillipealbert

TBH, Hodgson needs to take the captaincy from Rooney sharpish.  Should never have gone to him and should go to Hart IMO.  Needs to be someone guaranteed to start.  Also, Rooney is a dreadful Captain, zero leadership, no commitment and a shocking role-model.

At least Hart has some leadership qualities about him.

Gotta play the in form players. England love to buck the obvious in international play.

First game of Euro 2016 will have Rooney and Wilshere starting.

I swear if that's his team sheet on the day they need to sack him and send him home on the first flight, get someone in with the wherewithal to play the form players in their prefer position. Surely he can't be that thick? Take Rooney as an option and as a tournament experienced player for sure, but he shouldn't walk back into the team, especially if he's not fully fit by then.

They both have a single standout tournament as England players, it's that simple. Shearer was obviously the superior goalscorer but to say he was 10 times better than Rooney - at domestic or international level - is utter f***ing nonsense and typical of the stuff that has our fans a national laughing stock.

Rooney had literally two good games in that "stand-out" tournament, and we reached the first knock-out round. Comparing that with Euro 96 is utter f***ing nonsense.

So the point being made is Shearer had one standout tournament at international level and Rooney's had none. You're perfectly entitled to your wrong opinion but I can't be bothered indulging in this embarrassing, biased bollocks anymore. Totally divorced from reason and typical fuel for the stuff that gets said about NUFC fans every time I watch us in a pub outside the NE.

Ron, bottom line is, would you start Rooney ahead of either Kane or Vardy the form they're in this season? Would you have him play in a more withdrawn role? You don't really need to keep banging the Rooney drum as his stats speak for themselves. The guy has been a top class performer (and most years world class) for the entirety of his career. Starting the Euros at the expense of England's best two strikers this season would be a travesty though and an incompetent decision of the highest magnitude.

So the point being made is Shearer had one standout tournament at international level and Rooney's had none. You're perfectly entitled to your wrong opinion but I can't be bothered indulging in this embarrassing, biased bollocks anymore. Totally divorced from reason and typical fuel for the stuff that gets said about NUFC fans every time I watch us in a pub outside the NE.

Shearer never had any poor tournaments though.

My point - if you're bothered amid your trademark foaming - isn't as much to do with Shearer (although he at least had sporadic good games beyond his "one tournament") as it is with Rooney having bombed miserably at four successive tournaments.

Gotta play the in form players. England love to buck the obvious in international play.

First game of Euro 2016 will have Rooney and Wilshere starting.

Hasn't made a single appearance this season too, right?

Guest Howaythetoon

I wouldn't even have Rooney in the squad. He's a link to past failures and his presence will be somewhat a negative in terms of him being in the squad means automatic selection.

Give the younger, hungrier and in form guys a chance. You never just know an England team with no superstars might just do the country proud if not in terms of winning the thing but in terms of performances because we often stink out tournaments.

Furthermore Rooney is finished at the top level.

Cant believe Vardy is still underrated by some.

He's broken goalscoring records, scored in high pressure matches, he epitomizes leicesters spirit which is helping them win the league. He's shown how good his psychology is again with his first international goal as a backheel & should've had an assist also. He's the perfect remedy to years of our big players having expectation & not delivering. He wont stop delivering when no one expects it.

If people categorize him as "Great option off the bench" its absolutely ludicrous. He's had a better season than Kane, who's a guaranteed starter for most now.

Guest Howaythetoon

Vardy is kind of like the poster boy of what you can achieve with hard work, self belief, a bit of talent and being in the right place at the right time.

He's having an exceptional season and is a very very good player who uses his strengths to do damage and to make things work for the team. He remind me of Bellamy in terms of hard work, pace and directness, but is a much better finisher.

Kane is the real deal, he reminds me of Shearer after his injuries, but probably less physically strong and yet more creative. In those two England have a good strike-force on that should compliment each other well. No defence would want to face those two really.

Rooney on the other hand is slow these days and too immobile around the pitch. His passing seems to have deserted him over the course of time too. He's not even physically strong nowadays either. He's a spent force.

Kane's a better player than Vardy, by a distance. Had a better season, too.

How has he? Vardy has contributed to more goals, had the pressure & expectation of that new goalscoring record every week & smashed it. At a time when Man Utd had 8 CS in 10 going into that game. Then you have the 30 yarder v pool in key games, he assists the goals in most games he doesnt score like the recent 1-0's they're getting. These are key high pressure matches & he is constantly delivering under far more pressure than Kane has been under.

Kane may be the better player, Vardy has faced more this season. Both should be playing together as their attributes gel superbly.

Guest Phillipealbert

They both have a single standout tournament as England players, it's that simple. Shearer was obviously the superior goalscorer but to say he was 10 times better than Rooney - at domestic or international level - is utter f***ing nonsense and typical of the stuff that has our fans a national laughing stock.

:lol: Give over, man.  When was the last time someone said "Those Geordies are morons - they wouldn't even play Rooney over Kane and Vardy!"

Guest Howaythetoon
:thup: Kane is the better player and Vardy is having the better season, a season they are both doing great in. And they both should start for England.

[emoji38] Give over, man.  When was the last time someone said "Those Geordies are morons - they wouldn't even play Rooney over Kane and Vardy!"

Well that's not what he said man

Guest Phillipealbert

:lol: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opinion