England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Why do they need 4 keepers though?

They've got Pickford, Butland, McCarthy and Bettinelli for 2 games. Hart has played well by all accounts but doubt Southgate wants him back in the set up

Guest Howaythetoon

Lascelles may as well look for Irish incestry at this rate.

I’d have him in the centre of a back three because he’s a good defender, better than any English defender in terms of CB, he’s also a leader. But on the ball, he isn’t very good and if Southgate wants all his defenders to be capable on the ball even if it’s over being good at defending, it’s his job to pick players who will fit how he wants to play. I think Lascelles would only be needed in reserve for certain moments in a game or situations in that respect.

Our biggest issue is midfield or rather creativity in that area.

Guest firetotheworks

Think it's probably going to be from Gomez, Stones,  Coady, and Maguire tbh. Lascelles is great for us, when defending is what's needed, but I'm not sure how good he'd be in a team that sees more of the ball.

Guest Howaythetoon

Think it's probably going to be from Gomez, Stones,  Coady, and Maguire tbh. Lascelles is great for us, when defending is what's needed, but I'm not sure how good he'd be in a team that sees more of the ball.

He’d look like a spare thumb IMO. Odd man out. He’s not a poor footballer or a donkey on the ball, he’s just not got the kind of touch, control, techqnie and composure to do much with the ball. Like. Lot of ourplayers sadly. He’s a very good defender though or CB in terms of defending, tackling, marking, reading danger, leading etc.

And that’s great for us and even if we had a better team, such qualities are always needed and lack of ability on the ball can be compensated for. Lejune gave us that at the back and the two complimented each other well. At the very top level though there is no excuse and any top team’s players should be adept on the ball. That’s why Pep plays Stones and why Dyk was signed by Klopp, mind despite his mistake today, he’s a very good all-rounder, he’s developed into a top top player.

Can Lascelles improve on the ball? He probably can, but I don’t think it’s high on the list of priorities for Rafa if on the list at all, nor himself I imagine.

Nights like this should remind fans how much power they have. The game as a spectacle is nothing without them.

Would love SJP to be away fans only.

What?! So we'd only ever play in front of about 3,000 of our own fans? What'd be the point in that?

Ashley might fuck off.

Nights like this should remind fans how much power they have. The game as a spectacle is nothing without them.

Would love SJP to be away fans only.

What?! So we'd only ever play in front of about 3,000 of our own fans? What'd be the point in that?

Probably to drive Ashley out.

Guest firetotheworks

Quite like there being no fans as a one off novelty. It's good being able to hear little bits of what the players are saying.