England

Yorkie

You're a centre midfielder, It's 1-1, 30 seconds remaining, you've got the ball, look up and someone makes a decent looking diagonal run from the right. Do you a) chip it forward to the runner or b) do a scott parker pivot and pass the ball to Harry Maguire

God damn Gareth Southgate. England will always only ever be an 8/10 team at best as long as he's the manager.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Any Southgate England game tbf.  Southgate is a manager capable of making experimental XIs boring.  If you’re going to experiment, how about playing a 2-3-5 formation and making it fun :) 

You including the 7-0 against these opponents a few months ago, when the result mattered? What about us knocking six past Iran in our World Cup curtain raiser? Double over Italy this campaign n'all, home game a month ago in-particular was a good watch. 

The friendlies and dead rubbers against competent sides are nearly always tedious and pedestrian. That's hardly a Southgate thing. 

18 minutes ago, Astroblack said:

Play Gordon there. Saka can play LB. Gordon tracks back loads plus technically, he’s 9 times the play that Lewis is. Good players can play anywhere. 

Gordon can play Lw, can’t be that different to Lb. 

As much as I like Gordon I'm not sure moving one of our best attacking players to LB is the answer to accommodate him [emoji38]

19 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

You're a centre midfielder, It's 1-1, 30 seconds remaining, you've got the ball, look up and someone makes a decent looking diagonal run from the right. Do you a) chip it forward to the runner or b) do a scott parker pivot and pass the ball to Harry Maguire

God damn Gareth Southgate. England will always only ever be an 8/10 team at best as long as he's the manager.

He's a complete utter fraud of Steve Bruce proportions.

5 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

You including the 7-0 against these opponents a few months ago, when the result mattered? What about us knocking six past Iran in our World Cup curtain raiser? Double over Italy this campaign n'all, home game a month ago in-particular was a good watch. 

The friendlies and dead rubbers against competent sides are nearly always tedious and pedestrian. That's hardly a Southgate thing. 

We’re not going to agree on Southgate Yorkie :) the man is too conservative for me.   The Euro 2020 final should have been curtains for him.  He’s a cautious, conservative manager wasting an opportunity not afforded to his predecessors - no-one post war has seen such a complete lack of footballing talent in most of the big nations (France excluded).  Germany and Italy are the worst they’ve been post-war; Holland and Spain look brittle and mediocre.  England in the meantime have more genuine attacking talent than they’ve had at any point in the past - and this bloke plays double-pivots, rotating between a player playing in a (dry) pub league, a player who has barely played in two years, and a player who is actually a full back.  

Just now, WideopenMag said:

We'll see if/when he ends up managing a club again. I honestly think he's on a similar level. 

At Middlesbrough, he looked a poor club manager. In the England setup he's looked a decent international manager though. It's chalk and cheese though.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

At Middlesbrough, he looked a poor club manager. In the England setup he's looked a decent international manager though. It's chalk and cheese though.

Maybe Bruce would have been similar.  I’d stake my house on knowing what Southgate’s post-England career will look like, and it’ll be hard to distinguish between him, Bruce and Pardew. 

3 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't think he's looked decent at all, the footballs been shocking and he constantly gets found out against competent opposition and managers. 

8 minutes ago, WideopenMag said:

I don't think he's looked decent at all, the footballs been shocking and he constantly gets found out against competent opposition and managers. 

Yet he's our second most successful manager of all time?

I completely agree he's tactically limited and the conversation of whether he's the man to take us forward is a valid one, but the desperation to get stuck into what he's achieved is really strange.

He might not be the best tactician, but overall he's done a decent job for England.

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Yet he's our second most successful manager of all time?

I completely agree he's tactically limited and the conversation of whether he's the man to take us forward is a valid one, but the desperation to get stuck into what he's achieved is really strange.

He might not be the best tactician, but overall he's done a decent job for England.

If he was managing the team in ‘94 he’d have failed to qualify too.

Let’s face it, England’s international record is garbage for a number of reasons - one of those being that we don’t produce large numbers of quality players.  That isn’t the case at present - and the international field is as weak as it has ever (and likely will ever) be.

18 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

There's some absolute pish spouted about Southgate but likening him to that pondlife Bruce tops it. 

Southgate’s win ratio at the smoggies is almost identical to ours under Bruce - and Bruce didn’t have the advantage of two months in the second division to bolster that. 

1 minute ago, TheBrownBottle said:

If he was managing the team in ‘94 he’d have failed to qualify too.

Let’s face it, England’s international record is garbage for a number of reasons - one of those being that we don’t produce large numbers of quality players.  That isn’t the case at present - and the international field is as weak as it has ever (and likely will ever) be.

Ah yes, that brilliant England team that was fielding *checks notes* Ashley Young, Jesse Lingard, Delle Alli and Jordan Henderson in a world cup semi-final.

I appreciate the amount of talent at his disposal has increased significantly in recent years and it forms part of the discussion about who should be taking us forward, but I'm just talking about his record to date.

Better tacticians with better squad have achieved less, no matter how many goalposts are moved. 

Southgate is a tactically limited manager who has galvanised the national team into performing somewhere close to the sum of its parts, and has come closer to delivering silverware than anyone else for generations. If you think he's underachieved then I won't argue but he has underachieved less than every single predecessor in my lifetime. 

I can't be bothered to define his apparent comparator because the English language doesn't have the capacity to accurately describe Steve Bruce. 

Besides, comparing the England job to a club job - let alone a club job 15 or so years ago - is like comparing apples and oranges; they could hardly be more different. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't cut out for the Premier League but that has absolutely nothing to do with his work with England. 

1 hour ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We’re not going to agree on Southgate Yorkie :) the man is too conservative for me.   The Euro 2020 final should have been curtains for him.  He’s a cautious, conservative manager wasting an opportunity not afforded to his predecessors - no-one post war has seen such a complete lack of footballing talent in most of the big nations (France excluded).  Germany and Italy are the worst they’ve been post-war; Holland and Spain look brittle and mediocre.  England in the meantime have more genuine attacking talent than they’ve had at any point in the past - and this bloke plays double-pivots, rotating between a player playing in a (dry) pub league, a player who has barely played in two years, and a player who is actually a full back.  

It's England, Portugal & France talent-wise.

Germany (historically), Italy and, to a lesser extent, Croatia are big-game nations.

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Southgate is a tactically limited manager who has galvanised the national team into performing somewhere close to the sum of its parts, and has come closer to delivering silverware than anyone else for generations. If you think he's underachieved then I won't argue but he has underachieved less than every single predecessor in my lifetime. 

I can't be bothered to define his apparent comparator because the English language doesn't have the capacity to accurately describe Steve Bruce. 

Besides, comparing the England job to a club job - let alone a club job 15 or so years ago - is like comparing apples and oranges; they could hardly be more different. I wouldn't be surprised if he wasn't cut out for the Premier League but that has absolutely nothing to do with his work with England. 

Spot on. 

He literally has incredible talent available yet we play like a Conte team with no hope…

another wasted EUROs incoming