England

Yorkie
Message added by Disco,

Use the Euros forum please - https://newcastle-online.org/forum/36-euro-2024/

Aye but he's not "just" short. He's way short.

aye now

not sure what you're getting at here...the post talked about him getting undue shit because he never became our messi or ronaldo...at 17 wayne rooney was in a different league to cronaldo for example, things just went a different way for them and the hypothesis is people are somehow subliminally disappointed at what he's become and that he's failed to perform in major tournaments for england

You just like to quote my posts.

Deuce said top 5 best players in the world. As if he was 5-10 and we are being harsh. I don't consider Gareth Bale one of the best 5 players on the planet but he's in the top 10 probably. Rooney's never been as good as Bale was in the 2/3 seasons before last season.

what's this? :lol:

Wayne Rooney would've been served better by playing the same centre forward role he showed so much promise doing in 2003-4. Taggart converted him to a deeper lying forward to England's detriment but Manchester United's gain.

so goes the eternal tabloid cliche...i think it's worth forgetting he's been more than happy to coast his entire career in the best team in the league wringing manyoo for every penny he could along the way

had he done a ronaldo and forced a move at 23-24 who knows what he could have become?  he's as much to blame as anyone

Guest firetotheworks

Deuce said top 5 best players in the world. As if he was 5-10 and we are being harsh. I don't consider Gareth Bale one of the best 5 players on the planet but he's in the top 10 probably. Rooney's never been as good as Bale was in the 2/3 seasons before last season.

:lol:

Didn't you play the 'it's a forum for discussion' card just yesterday?

It's just always so tempting to pick apart the unmitigated shite-dressed-up-as-insight you talk tbh.

Yeah, Deuce said that we thought he WOULD become one of the top 5 players in the world. I would say that's pretty bang on. It doesn't necessarily mean that those same people have ever thought he has been in the top 5 in the world.

As for the Bale point, what are you getting at? They're massively different types of players who came onto the scene in the polar opposite of ways and no one even mentioned him. :lol:

It's just always so tempting to pick apart the unmitigated shite-dressed-up-as-insight you talk tbh.

Yeah, Deuce said that we thought he WOULD become one of the top 5 players in the world. I would say that's pretty bang on. It doesn't necessarily mean that those same people have ever thought he has been in the top 5 in the world.

As for the Bale point, what are you getting at? They're massively different types of players.

i wouldn't even use the word "would", "could" is more accurate

Guest firetotheworks

As for the Bale point, what are you getting at? They're massively different types of players.

i wouldn't even use the word "would", "could" is more accurate

Being cautious yeah, I thought he would being totally honest. He looked incredible when he burst on the scene.

Lets face it, Rooney cannot take the blame in his England performances when the players playing around him have all been poor and quite frankly, shit in major tournaments.

Rooney is not going to score 40 goals in major tournaments if he gets fuck all service.

The England team has been poor all round for years, not just Rooney.

Rooney will get undue stick because people don't like him for whatever reason.

The big criticism of Rooney is that he's never done it at the World Cup finals or at the Euros, 2004 aside.

I think he'd had done much better if he'd had Beardsley, Hoddle, Waddle, and John Barnes setting him up like Lineker did. There's a big drop from them to Downing, Crouch, Lennon, and all the others Rooney's had to play with.

Bit ridiculous to pick all the best players Lineker played with and comparing them to some of the shittest Rooney has had to.

May as well say Rooney has had Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard whereas Lineker had Steve Hodge, Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton.

My point was more about the quality of creative players that Lineker played with versus Rooney. The main one for me would actually be Beardsley. Everyone who played alongside him scored goals. The other three were all regulars though and had what I remember were good games. There have been talented players alongside Rooney too, they were called the "golden generation" after all, but the lasting taste is they failed to gel and/or recreate their club form at international level. Rooney has often played in teams that ended up as less than the sum of their parts, Gerrard/Lampard being only one of many issues. At Man U Rooney has proved capable of playing in many different systems, so I don't think he's ever been the problem.

Lennon has 20 odd caps in spite of struggling to start for his club. Downing has over thirty, so they haven't been bit part players.

The big criticism of Rooney is that he's never done it at the World Cup finals or at the Euros, 2004 aside.

I think he'd had done much better if he'd had Beardsley, Hoddle, Waddle, and John Barnes setting him up like Lineker did. There's a big drop from them to Downing, Crouch, Lennon, and all the others Rooney's had to play with.

Bit ridiculous to pick all the best players Lineker played with and comparing them to some of the shittest Rooney has had to.

May as well say Rooney has had Beckham, Lampard, Gerrard whereas Lineker had Steve Hodge, Carlton Palmer and Andy Sinton.

Not having Steve Hodge in that list of shite like. He was excellent for England in his brief International career, specifically at Mexico 86, when his call up along with Peter Reid at the expense of suspended crab Wilkins and crock Bryan Robson coincided with our surge to the quarters, which had seemed impossible after losing to Portugal and only drawing with Morocco when Wilkins got sent off for throwing the ball at the ref.

The biggest issue with Rooney is that I don't think anyone knows what his best role is, or how to fit a team around him. Which I guess is the same kind of comment as he hasn't reached his potential.

:lol: good god man, it doesn't cost anything to just admit you misread the post

"Whoops, my bad. Misread the post." Look at that, so simple, so pure.

[emoji38] good god man, it doesn't cost anything to just admit you misread the post

"Whoops, my bad. Misread the post." Look at that, so simple, so pure.

[emoji38]

:lol: what a load of rubbish. As if you're the only one with a list :lol: Your arguments are so pedantic and boring I almost (almost) couldn't give a shit what your list is.