England

Yorkie

Thinking about the Champions League, do you even have a single player performing really well on a consistent basis at that level today? Not sure if there's "more than enough talent" like some of you think. You should probably do a bit better than you are but the players are simply not that good.

Like Triggs said..

The lads with the most experience in the CL (Hart & Rooney) aren't even in it this season, largely because they've been poor. Walker might've been in the Spurs side that got to the QF's a few years back. That's it. The lads have done nothing at that level.

Not sure why CL is such an important way to judge players TBH. If Raheem Sterling played for Dortmund (etc) he would probably be tearing it up. We have some good players, certainly enough to put together a better team than the likes of Portugal.

Because it's the highest level of football playing against the best teams obviously [emoji38] Don't really understand your Sterling point. What's the difference between him playing for Dortmund and Man City?

Portugal have two centre halves a lot better than what you have, a solid midfield and one of the best players of the generation. What players do you guys really rate out of the England squad?

The CL is only the highest level when you play against certain teams. Doing well in Arsenal v Chelsea is just as good.

Hart is good, Walker and Rose are good, Cahill is decent. Stones will be brilliant but I agree he's not quite yet. Lallana is class, Sterling is good, Drinkwater is good, Alli is good. Wilshere is brilliant although obviously rarely fit. Vardy and Kane are prolific in the league, Sterling's goal ratio is pretty good.

I'm not arguing England should be walking to titles or anything, but IMO we are not putting together a team that's anywhere near the sum of its parts. Partly because of fear of failure and partly because of picking the same old faces regardless of form. 

Hart is good, Walker and Rose are good, Cahill is decent. Stones will be brilliant but I agree he's not quite yet. Lallana is class, Sterling is good, Drinkwater is good, Alli is good. Wilshere is brilliant although obviously rarely fit. Vardy and Kane are prolific in the league, Sterling's goal ratio is pretty good.

I'm not arguing England should be walking to titles or anything, but IMO we are not putting together a team that's anywhere near the sum of its parts. Partly because of fear of failure and partly because of picking the same old faces regardless of form.

Aye well you should be doing better than you are, I agree there. Is Hart good? Wasn't he at fault for nearly all your goals at the Euros? I do like the two full backs tbh. Cahill was absolutely terrible this season until they changed to three at the back. Stones needs to toughen up. Wilshere isn't exactly standing out for Bournemouth at the moment although I do generally like him also. The rest have performed well at various times in a poor Premier League over the last few seasons but none have ever proven anything against the best teams in Europe on a consistent basis like Rooney, Gerrard, Lampard, Ferdinand, etc. did in the past.

Not sure why CL is such an important way to judge players TBH. If Raheem Sterling played for Dortmund (etc) he would probably be tearing it up. We have some good players, certainly enough to put together a better team than the likes of Portugal.

I think you're underestimating Portugal a bit Ian. I know they played turgid football in the Euros but they do have some really good players. I'd love England to have a midfield that has players with the technical ability that they can chose from.

I think this is the worst England squad in my lifetime. Even in Taylor's time we had the likes of Gazza and clear good futures for the likes of Shearer, Ince etc. Now we have no real International  quality  anywhere on the pitch. Severely lacking at centre half, adequate at full back and no creativity in the middle of the park. Not good.

Agree fully although my lifetime is less than yours. Just don't see on what basis most of the players are rated. For example a lot of the Spurs players look good in the PL but go to the Champions League and they're getting beat by very average teams like Monaco and Leverkusen. Compared to most of the 00's, when you had a good few world class players proven at the latter stages of the Champions League your squad is really poor now

Surely that criticism applies as much to Eriksen, Alderweireld, Lamela, Janssen etc as it does Dier, Alli, Walker and Kane though? Agree with you on the whole, but it's harsh to use the sub-par performances levels of the entire Spurs team as a stick to beat the English contingent with IMO.

I think this is the worst England squad in my lifetime. Even in Taylor's time we had the likes of Gazza and clear good futures for the likes of Shearer, Ince etc. Now we have no real International  quality  anywhere on the pitch. Severely lacking at centre half, adequate at full back and no creativity in the middle of the park. Not good.

Agree fully although my lifetime is less than yours. Just don't see on what basis most of the players are rated. For example a lot of the Spurs players look good in the PL but go to the Champions League and they're getting beat by very average teams like Monaco and Leverkusen. Compared to most of the 00's, when you had a good few world class players proven at the latter stages of the Champions League your squad is really poor now

Surely that criticism applies as much to Eriksen, Alderweireld, Lamela, Janssen etc as it does Dier, Alli, Walker and Kane though? Agree with you on the whole, but it's harsh to use the sub-par performances levels of the entire Spurs team as a stick to beat the English contingent with IMO.

I didn't mean to make it seem like it was just the English players at Spurs I was criticising. Of course those players are as or more at fault than the English players are and I don't really rate any of them that highly either bar maybe Alderweireld. Was just making the point that I think players can be overrated based on what they do against the likes of Sunderland, West Brom and so on.

I didn't mean to make it seem like it was just the English players at Spurs I was criticising. Of course those players are as or more at fault than the English players are and I don't really rate any of them that highly either bar maybe Alderweireld. Was just making the point that I think players can be overrated based on what they do against the likes of Sunderland, West Brom and so on.

Fair enough :thup:

Can someone explain to me how Southgate is a shoe in for the England job after beating fecking Malta, drawing with Slovenia and beating a shite Scotland team hardly convincingly ? All that with no past experience aswel...?

Can someone explain to me how Southgate is a shoe in for the England job after beating fecking Malta, drawing with Slovenia and beating a s**** Scotland team hardly convincingly ? All that with no past experience aswel...?

We're dog shit.

Can someone explain to me how Southgate is a shoe in for the England job after beating fecking Malta, drawing with Slovenia and beating a s**** Scotland team hardly convincingly ? All that with no past experience aswel...?

Exactly. I read in the paper today his credentials now can't be questioned after that 3-0 win over Scotland. A game which they could easily of had 3 themselves and after getting battered in Slovenia.

Can't wait for 2 years time till the media wonder why we have been knocked out by some "minnow" again.

Hasn't Lingard been pretty s**** recently?

Diet has also. Should have given d/w a start

Absolutely not writing him off but he's 24 next month, not some complete youngster.

He's not rubbish but if I had to bet money where he'll be at 27 it'd be more on starting for a midtable team than a top 4 club.

Guest firetotheworks

Can someone explain to me how Southgate is a shoe in for the England job after beating fecking Malta, drawing with Slovenia and beating a shite Scotland team hardly convincingly ? All that with no past experience aswel...?

I genuinely think that we've collectively decided to give up on international football as a nation.