England

Yorkie

So disillusioned with the national squad at the moment, just a hunch of overpaid headless chicken primadonna millionaires. Watching them play bores me to tears, missed last night's game due to playing PS4 and completely forgot about, that never used to happen. Don't give a shit who is manager tbf, another wasted generation. England has been on the decline since 1996.

The reason all of the managers have failed with England is because of very basic reasons. 

All the managers in recent have misused the resources available to them in so similar a fashion they may as well have kept the same guy throughout. I'd require payment to watch an England friendly or qualifier now.

You're rarely going to get exciting football at International level no matter who's in charge, especially outside the tournaments. Honestly I couldn't care less anymore, just put someone who knows how to win in there. I'd take the likes of Mancini gladly at this point. And not just because he'd piss off the press and the Great Escape brigade.

Your point being what? A bloke who talked about retiring to Portugal after Man U in pretty much every other presser when they were actually doing OK with him (4th) isn't any sort of candidate for the England job. It's a long term project, not a job for a wash-up with little if any remaining appetite for management.

Guest Howaythetoon

Your point being what? A bloke who talked about retiring to Portugal after Man U in pretty much every other presser when they were actually doing OK with him (4th) isn't any sort of candidate for the England job. It's a long term project, not a job for a wash-up with little if any remaining appetite for management.

Agreed. LVG would be another Capello!

I was just throwing another name out there who knows international football, did well in the last World Cup and isn't attached to a club. My points were that you can't say he hasn't been a top manager for 20 years when he finished 3rd with a pretty unfancied side in the last World Cup and that I'm 'wasting my time' talking about him because he's not on the lookout for a job when he was interviewed for a national team job 2 months ago

I agree it needs to be a long term project and I wouldn't want it to be van Gaal but I was throwing out a name that has more experience than Southgate

you can't say he hasn't been a top manager for 20 years when he finished 3rd with a pretty unfancied side in the last World Cup

I can quite easily say that, to be honest. He predecessor did better and I doubt anyone, as much as I like him, would've called Bert van Marwijk a top manager at any point.

The biggest problem is the England squad is nowhere near as good as the media/pundits/majority of England think.

A vast majority of the England squad would struggle to get a game in the top teams around Europe.

No matter who takes over will ultimately fail as expectation far outweighs reality.

No foreign manager with any sort of ambition will take it because they know how limited the squad is, that leaves the same cycle of shit and boring English managers or washed up foreign managers looking for a nice payday that get touted nearly every time the post is vacant.

We have a really strong group of players and pay more than anyone else. You can count on 1 hand the number nations with a better selection of players to choose from than us (granted they are far stronger). It's 100% awful management from top to bottom.

Think you're massively overrating your players there tbh. Very few of them (maybe none with Rooney past his best) have proven anything at Champions League level, which is the highest level of football there is

We have a really strong group of players and pay more than anyone else. You can count on 1 hand the number nations with a better selection of players to choose from than us (granted they are far stronger). It's 100% awful management from top to bottom.

Think you're massively overrating your players there tbh. Very few of them (maybe none with Rooney past his best) have proven anything at Champions League level, which is the highest level of football there is

:lol: nah, you're massively overrating the rest of international football.

Can say the same for many other nations, Holland and Italy are massively short nowadays. In Europe France are decent and Germany and Spain are miles ahead of the rest, not much else otherwise.

Italy have three of the best defenders around, the best keeper of the last twenty years, Verratti, Marchisio. England don't have anywhere near that quality