Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

Aye looking at his wiki it was pretty much straight down hill from there. 

I see he got compo.  But the whole ordeal would have cost him several million pounds in loss of earnings throughout his career. 

More players are coming back from major injuries to bring at the top of their game. But you do get those that never really make it back. Bolasie for example.

One of the reasons I do not begrudge players demanding top dollar. Anichebe is 32, without a club. His last Everton contract was likely his last major pay day.

You really didn't like my Nolan comparison :lol:

It's a fair comparison. Both were great at being in the right place in the box; both could go 45 minutes without touching the ball. Perhaps for different reasons though. Kev was a fat slow plodder. Gini had the heart of a mouse.

I remember thinking similar about Nolan in our first relegation season funnily enough. I remember one cowardly challenge that f***ed Anichebe up against Everton in particularly.

anichebe_1839879c.jpg

Didn’t realise Anichebe actually sued Newcastle for loss of earnings.

That was genuinely one of the worst tackles I’ve seen, it was completely pathetic

There was that and Barton at Liverpool on Xabi Alonso. People laud them for how they helped drag the dressing room back together and got us back up but they were two reasons we went down in the first place:

• 2 years later...

There are so many interesting players out there and it's been such a nice fresh start with the new regime, I would rather not bring back anyone that was here previously who didn't really do that great for us. If he does come in, then fair enough, and I'll be hoping for the best, but I'd be more than happy if we went for someone else.

Just now, POOT 2.0 said:

I can understand and kind of agree. But he'd definitely do a job. 

I'd hope so, but if I'm being really honest, I don't really trust the guy in our current predicament. The exact same one he let us down in previously. Guy was invisible for so many games.

I think he's a great plug and play in an already established team with lots of high quality players, where he can then fill in the gaps, but we need more than that from a new midfielder.

Thought he totally changed his game at Liverpool to how he played with us, mind? Was basically just an attacking mid who supported the striker or sometimes shoved out wide from memory. Never performed well or regularly played in centre midfield for us. 

I think he would have learned a lot and developed at Liverpool, plus during his time with us to some degree. He was really consistent for them. High energy, pressing, carrying the ball forward, recycling it. Seemed to always play well when I watched them and feel like someone comfortable in possession is just what we need. Great short term solution who I think can come straight in. 

Probably go to Arsenal, mind. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

2 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Thought he totally changed his game at Liverpool to how he played with us, mind? Was basically just an attacking mid who supported the striker or sometimes shoved out wide from memory. Never performed well or regularly played in centre midfield for us. 

I think he would have learned a lot and developed at Liverpool, plus during his time with us to some degree. He was really consistent for them. High energy, pressing, carrying the ball forward, recycling it. Seemed to always play well when I watched them and feel like someone comfortable in possession is just what we need. Great short term solution who I think can come straight in. 

Probably go to Arsenal, mind. 

You've made some really good points about what he could offer playing in a system that will require similar things to what was asked of him at Liverpool, so that would definitely make sense.

At Liverpool he was always typically in a midfield three, which is more of what we have gone to of late with Joelinton dropping deeper, and so if we persist with that setup then it would definitely make me more comfortable with him coming in, as I think a midfield three does suit him much better.

7 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I'd hope so, but if I'm being really honest, I don't really trust the guy in our current predicament. The exact same one he let us down in previously. Guy was invisible for so many games.

I think he's a great plug and play in an already established team with lots of high quality players, where he can then fill in the gaps, but we need more than that from a new midfielder.

That was a 24 year old coming into a major league for the first time in his career under a Steve McClaren side.

This is a 31 year old who’s spent the last 5 and a half years competing for, and winning, Premier League titles & Champions League titles. Other than the last 4-5 months he’s played pretty much week in, week out.

Forget that first season here, this is what we’d be getting. Would be on a par with the Trippier signing.

Just now, Anderson said:

People turning their nose up at him. :lol: 

He'd immediately be a step up on anyone else we have in midfield. Of the midfielders who are available/been linked to us, he's probably the best we could hope for.

Fofana at Lens, Arthur at Juve, Guimares at Lyon, Nunes at Sporting, Van de Beek at Man U ... are just some of the names we have been said to be looking at. These are some very talented players that would be right up there in quality for both the short and long term.

I'm really good with whatever the club decides on in any case. I'm really impressed with the new manager, his staff, and Mandy and Mehrdad, and trust them to have thought everything out well before making their decision.

4 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

That was a 24 year old coming into a major league for the first time in his career under a Steve McClaren side.

This is a 31 year old who’s spent the last 5 and a half years competing for, and winning, Premier League titles & Champions League titles. Other than the last 4-5 months he’s played pretty much week in, week out.

Forget that first season here, this is what we’d be getting. Would be on a par with the Trippier signing.

Very fair point.

If we're bringing in Botman it would also be useful to have his fellow dutchman who is already familiar with the club coming in too, so that would be another plus.

4 minutes ago, KaKa said:

Fofana at Lens, Arthur at Juve, Guimares at Lyon, Nunes at Sporting, Van de Beek at Man U ... are just some of the names we have been said to be looking at. These are some very talented players that would be right up there in quality for both the short and long term.

I'm really good with whatever the club decides on in any case. I'm really impressed with the new manager, his staff, and Mandy and Mehrdad, and trust them to have thought everything out well before making their decision.

None of those are guaranteed to hit the ground running in the league, which is what we desperately need. Gini was an ever present in a team that won CL/PL & had almost 200 points across those 2 seasons. It's a no brainer.

Edited by Anderson

Guest dazzanufc1892

Get him back. knows the league, knows the ground & has the quality. Football is a business and he left, rightly so, for a bigger team and more money. Things and situations change. More importantly & given our position we cant be picky at this time. Get in the quality and worry about the rest next year if we survive.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

Very fair point.

If we're bringing in Botman it would also be useful to have his fellow dutchman who is already familiar with the club coming in too, so that would be another plus.

It also just helps raise eyebrows even further getting someone of that reputation. Plus he’s a bloody good footballer.

FWIW Liverpool fans seem to really rue letting him go. He was a vital part of their pressing system, and they've seemingly missed his energy this year in the middle at times. As others have said, he was a completely different player under Klopp to the CAM/#10 he was here.

Edited by Anderson

1 minute ago, Anderson said:

None of those are guaranteed to hit the ground running in the league, which is what we desperately need. Gina was an ever present in a team that won CL/PL & had almost 200 points across those 2 seasons. It's a no brainer.

I get what you're saying, and agree to some extent, but I tend to be more wary of the prem experience thing, as it can often go too far the other way and mean you miss out on someone far better. Ultimately, that's down to the scouts to really identify the right player that can adapt well.

Afterall, Gini is definitely going to need an adjustment period too, coming in from PSG having hardly played this season and with a fair amount of pressure to perform in a team that is not at the level of his previous couple of teams.