Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

This was his goals record in 2015/2016 :

August

1 vs Southampton at home - 2-2 draw, scored to make us 2-1 up then we conceded (Televised 1.30pm kickoff)

September

1 vs Chelsea at home - 2-2 draw, scored to make us 2-0 up then we conceded 2 (Televised 5.30pm kickoff)

October

4 vs Norwhich - 6-2 win, rout of a team that played completely kamikaze football (Televised 4.00pm kickoff)

December

1 vs Liverpool - 2-0 win, second goal scored in injury time of the second half (Televised 4.00pm kickoff)

January

1 vs Manchester United - 3-3 draw, scored the first goal of a 0-3 to 3-3 comeback (Televised 7.45pm kickoff)

1 vs West Ham United - 2-1 win, scored the second to put us 2-0 up before they got one back (Not televised)

May

2 vs Tottenham Hotspur - 5-1 win, scored the first and a penalty against a team already on holiday (Not televised?)

I don't see how you can analyse the above in any way apart from that he turned up when we were on TV so he got showcase his 'talents'. At best his goals counted for 5 points - the 2 draws at the start of the season, and what ended up being the winning goal vs West Ham. He only scored one of his 11 goals when we were already down, and that was against Manchester United everyone thought it was a lost cause at 0-3.

Assists? Shelvey and Mitro both had 5 too, he was hardly the team's sole creative outlet. He couldn't be bothered to raise his game and put 10% more in for one of the best managers we've had in the last 30 years. Why anyone would want him back after seeing him 'perform' in a black and white shirt already is mind boggling. The purest definition of a player treating a club as a stepping stone as I've ever seen, he really did not care at all and we could have done without him for another player that may have actually done more for us in terms of points won than individual goals records scored when it didn't matter.

It wasn't.

We were 0-2 down.

He might have scored 11 goals but we probably conceded 11 extra goals that season as he was missing in action for the majority of it.

No away goals. Didn't he have something ridiculous like 10 touches of the ball in a game for us or something?

I'd be pretty shocked if Rafa is interested in bringing him back.

What on earth is this nonsense?

If any of it is even true (I'm guessing it's not) I wouldn't want him back. Can't doubt the ability but absolutely no character. Being a role player for Liverpool is completely different to being one of the most technically gifted in our team and as such, needing to lead by example, something he didn't do a jot of when we got relegated.

Guest chopey

Does Ryder know anything thats going on at Newcastle these days ? at least Alan Oliver had links into the club and was prepared to ask questions of people without been bothered about upsetting anyone, Ryder just comes across as thick.

Does Ryder know anything thats going on at Newcastle these days ? at least Alan Oliver had links into the club and was prepared to ask questions of people without been bothered about upsetting anyone, Ryder just comes across as thick.

Yes and no. Ryder tweets what the club tell him to tweet rather than having proper inside sources.

• 5 months later...

He's a good player, always found it a bit daft the amount of stick he got on here. There was a reason him, Sissoko and Townsend were sought after players when we decided to cash in. The transfer market tends to sift the wheat from the chaff despite what we might think.

When I watch him he rarely does anything special, he’s tidy enough. Same with Sissoko, he’s OK.

Ok let me tell you what I see. Wijnaldum offers movement across the whole midfield area, protects the ball well and can chip in with a few goals. Not a bad attribute - ask Shelvey and Ritchie.

Sissoko covers the whole pitch, offers pace and width, and will track back diligently.

Neither are fantastic players, but will do a job at the top level without looking hopelessly out of place. They would improve us quite a lot.

Oliver was a joke. He asked nothing of Hall and Shepherds running of the club. He was on NUFC payroll via his column in the programme.