Georginio Wijnaldum

Disco

I remember seeing him play once for us in central mid, in an almost holding role, did better than he ever did before for us.

Where he played and how he contributed for us meant he was a completely irrelevant player. Under a different manager, he might have done a lot better, or maybe he would still just go through the motions in using us as a stepping stone. At least Sissoko gave us an out-ball, like Jonas did before him. Wij was our modern-day Kevin Nolan, except he contributed even less to overall play and only turned up for the cameras/big games (I've included some analysis in an older post in this thread).

Honestly think it's this sort of mentality which will always hold us back. Kevin Nolan was never the sort of player who had either the techique or mobility to be part of a genuine class football team. He was a working class hero at his most effective in an old fashioned English team. Wijnaldum was probably too poncey and soft in a lot of people's eyes.

I remember seeing him play once for us in central mid, in an almost holding role, did better than he ever did before for us.

Where he played and how he contributed for us meant he was a completely irrelevant player. Under a different manager, he might have done a lot better, or maybe he would still just go through the motions in using us as a stepping stone. At least Sissoko gave us an out-ball, like Jonas did before him. Wij was our modern-day Kevin Nolan, except he contributed even less to overall play and only turned up for the cameras/big games (I've included some analysis in an older post in this thread).

Honestly think it's this sort of mentality which will always hold us back. Kevin Nolan was never the sort of player who had either the techique or mobility to be part of a genuine class football team. He was a working class hero at his most effective in an old fashioned English team. Wijnaldum was probably too poncey and soft in a lot of people's eyes.

Not sure what you mean ? If you mean that we shouldn't be using 'Luxury' players than I disagree, give me a Hatem any day. If you mean that I was incorrect in comparing Nolan to Wijnaldum, then I also disagree.. in terms of how they both contributed to the team, they were unerringly similar. Nothing off the ball, nothing on it apart from a goal-scoring finish. In the position that Wij played for us, that's all he did. And I always wondered why, when it seemed so obvious due to where he played for his previous club, he wasn't played in a deeper role more often.

Not sure what you mean ? If you mean that we shouldn't be using 'Luxury' players than I disagree, give me a Hatem any day. If you mean that I was incorrect in comparing Nolan to Wijnaldum, then I also disagree.. in terms of how they both contributed to the team, they were unerringly similar. Nothing off the ball, nothing on it apart from a goal-scoring finish. In the position that Wij played for us, that's all he did. And I always wondered why, when it seemed so obvious due to where he played for his previous club, he wasn't played in a deeper role more often.

I said it in that quote: "Kevin Nolan was never the sort of player who had either the techique or mobility to be part of a genuine class football team"

Yet he had a cult hero status here. I just saw a player who would ensure we would always be mediocre. Wijnaldum ended up at Liverpool. I don't think Klopp would ever have considered Nolan. That's the difference.

I said it in that quote: "Kevin Nolan was never the sort of player who had either the techique or mobility to be part of a genuine class football team"

Yet he had a cult hero status here. I just saw a player who would ensure we would always be mediocre. Wijnaldum ended up at Liverpool. I don't think Klopp would ever have considered Nolan. That's the difference.

Oh on that I agree 100%, they are different players. The point I was making is that in our team, Wijnaldum was limited to basically what Kevin Nolan could do for us, most certainly by managerial instruction. Not that that's all he could do, as demonstrated by his performances in Liverpool's midfield.

I did like Nolan though, I'm sure in one season he was the top scorer in the PL for a month or two :lol:

Oh on that I agree 100%, they are different players. The point I was making is that in our team, Wijnaldum was limited to basically what Kevin Nolan could do for us, most certainly by managerial instruction. Not that that's all he could do, as demonstrated by his performances in Liverpool's midfield.

I did like Nolan though, I'm sure in one season he was the top scorer in the PL for a month or two :lol:

I like midfielders who are mobile, Nolan had an eye for goal, but that was pretty much it.

He was a disgrace for us. He was anonymous in most games home and away after Christmas and Rafa dropped him towards the end of the season. One of the only players who didn't improve at all when Rafa came in

The way i remember it, he played with tons of effort and enthusiasm for the first few months but then seemed to realise he was playing with bunch of wankers who couldn’t give a fuck.  He got dragged down by the poor attitude of others i reckon.  He probably realised what a shitshow of a club we are aswell.

The way i remember it, he played with tons of effort and enthusiasm for the first few months but then seemed to realise he was playing with bunch of wankers who couldn’t give a fuck.  He got dragged down by the poor attitude of others i reckon.  He probably realised what a shitshow of a club we are aswell.

Pretty much. I can remember being particularly impressed how good he was at keeping the ball under pressure, something which is crucial if you want to build a side that can pass. Definitely towards the latter part of the season he looked less enthusiastic, like most players who know they are playing a level below where they should be. Good players want to compete for honours, the Kevin Nolans of the world are just glad to be playing in front of 50k crowds who will cheer their chicken dance.

You really didn't like my Nolan comparison :lol:

:lol: Not a fan of Nolan, although I can understand why he was popular. I think these type of players are actually poison to a side that wants to go on to better things because their good attributes mask their weaknesses which are holding the team back. I suppose Spurs fans might think of Sissoko like that now. He was one of our best players just because he had some mobility, but a top 4 side needs better end product.

It's a fair comparison. Both were great at being in the right place in the box; both could go 45 minutes without touching the ball. Perhaps for different reasons though. Kev was a fat slow plodder. Gini had the heart of a mouse.

It's a fair comparison. Both were great at being in the right place in the box; both could go 45 minutes without touching the ball. Perhaps for different reasons though. Kev was a fat slow plodder. Gini had the heart of a mouse.

I remember thinking similar about Nolan in our first relegation season funnily enough. I remember one cowardly challenge that fucked Anichebe up against Everton in particularly.

anichebe_1839879c.jpg

Didn’t realise Anichebe actually sued Newcastle for loss of earnings.

Maybe players with the heart of a mouse are just misunderstood around these parts.

I remember thinking similar about Nolan in our first relegation season funnily enough. I remember one cowardly challenge that f***ed Anichebe up against Everton in particularly.

anichebe_1839879c.jpg

Didn’t realise Anichebe actually sued Newcastle for loss of earnings.

Aye, wouldn't want Kevin Nolan jumping on your leg. He had bigger tits than Coleen Nolan at one point.

Maybe players with the heart of a mouse are just misunderstood around these parts.

I suppose it's possible I could've misread all that sulking and standing around with his finger up his arse.

I suppose it's possible I could've misread all that sulking and standing around with his finger up his arse.

Yes you can clearly see with more depth than Jurgen Klopp who still hasn't cottoned on yet to the pansy soft shite.

Yes you can clearly see with more depth than Jurgen Klopp who still hasn't cottoned on yet to the pansy soft s****.

That would've been a sharp reply if I were accusing him of being soft. The fact is, the bloke couldn't be arsed 5 games out of 6. He didn't give a tupenny fart about Newcastle.

Yes you can clearly see with more depth than Jurgen Klopp who still hasn't cottoned on yet to the pansy soft s****.

That would've been a sharp reply if I were accusing him of being soft. The fact is, the bloke couldn't be arsed 5 games out of 6. He didn't give a tupenny fart about Newcastle.

Not giving a tuppeny fart is slightly different to having the heart of a mouse. Maybe say what you mean next time.

He has been very good in the Klopp system. I am guessing the reason for the  Ballon d'Or nomination is the two goals against Barcelona in the semi finals. He has been a very good signing for us but not Ballon d'Or good.