Newcastle United 2 - 2 Southampton - 09/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 46

Dave

Colbacks no world beater but he has saved us a point today far more than cost us one.

Was the only man to track manes run past the last man several minutes before he got us a point with a ridiculous block.

Didn't see a replay of that, possible that Mane would have been miles offside without Colback there.

Yup.

Fair result overall, they had more chances and we had more of the ball/play and possible could have had a pen.

Aarons needed to be on really around 60 or so minutes IMO for Obertan. Anita's injury clearly altered our plan.

Agreed.

I can't understand why he didn't put more pace on when people were starting to get leggy. All three subs are slow and we just got deeper and deeper.

You could see how much space opened up in the middle after the injury & those subs. Comination of Anita not busting a gut & Dejong not tracking back like Wijnaldum does.

Krul - 7 Not really at fault for the goals, made a few good blocks nothing super special though

Haidara - 4 Game to forget, had a few moments but I think we need an upgrade, he has talent but he's not ready yet, too many crosses allowed to come in.

Colo - 6 Ok but vulnerable in air as ever. Some lax passing, needs replacing

Mbemba - 6 Would be higher but at fault for first goal, think looks like has oodles of promise, loved how he powered forward and let off pressure on the defense massively. Some very confident play.

Janmaat - 6 Started brightly but thought lose some posession later and seemed to decline too early.

Anita - 5 Not his best, kept the ball going at good pace but too many misplaced pass. Hope not badly injured though. Tiote - 4 Looked static when on,

Colback - 6 Good block, circulated the ball well, but so unambitious with the ball, and some misplaced passes. He sometimes seems to turn and quickly look around as if he's xavi (he is in his head) then pass the easiest pass in the world.

Wijnaldum - 8 Great goal, looks very positive, declined somewhat mind. Siem De Jong - n/a did nothing.

Obertan - 5 Good cross, otherwise waste of space tbh.

Cisse - 6 Goal came from being sharp in the box which is what he is good at, his all round game is poor though. Awful dive. Mitrovic - n/a for not really doing anything but 10/10 for comedy

Sissoko - 6 Started brilliantly, wouldn't know he was on the pitch for much of the second half, classic Sissoko.

Guest Gomez

Decent for most of the game. I think we were a bit lucky not to throw it away at the end though.

Two goals and a few other chances given up down the left wing tells its own story about where the weakness in the team is. Haidara was bad today, Obertan looked reasonably good on the ball, but he totally switched off when he doesn't have it. Look at him just stand there ball watching for the second goal.

Mbamba looked good. Wijnaldum had flashes and got his goal, want to see him more involved. Mitrovic wasn't on long enough to really say, but I like the effort and the strength.

Generally better football, we controlled the game better, but still lack any real creativity.

Definitely disappointed not to see Pérez and/or Aarons.

Alright. 7.21/10.

/rambling

Basic Summary would be:

+ Can see our passing & movement is superior by far already

+ Retention of the ball was far better, even in tricky spaces

+ Mbemba looks a good controlled defender

+ Wijnaldum could've had two, movement is very good.

+ We looked relatively dangerous from corners again

+ This is a good result

- Haidaras positioning defensively is poor, he will allow crosses

- Our defenders are clearly weaker in the air

- We need to hope Anita's alright on that evidence, Tiotes not up to it atm

- Aarons should've been involved

On this evidence though, we have a coaching set up that will actually notice our weaknesses & look to improve them.

Overall, positive game.

I don't really buy this 'Anita going off changed the game' talk. All of our good play came through Sissoko and Wijnaldum and they both faded badly. Can't see how Anita could've changed the fact that literally everyone looked tired for the last 30 minutes. That itself is obviously a joke, pre-season was garbage.

Overall we looked a lot better so I'm quite happy with that performance.

I don't really buy this 'Anita going off changed the game' talk. All of our good play came through Sissoko and Wijnaldum and they both faded badly. Can't see how Anita could've changed the fact that literally everyone looked tired for the last 30 minutes. That itself is obviously a joke, pre-season was garbage.

Well it clearly did as we never invited pressure like that when he was on the pitch and as soon as he goes off we are magically allowing Southampton to pass around our box and sitting very deep.

Not a coincidence.

It's not Anita going off that changed things in itself, it's Tiote coming on and changing the entire composition of our midfield by making us a lot deeper. This in turn exacerbated by De Jong coming on and staying much further upfield than Wiijnaldum.

I think it may have been that Tiote coming on effected us rather than Anita having a great game

Edit: What Kaiz said

Sissoko & Wijnaldum aside I don't think anyone had a particularly good game. All 4 defenders were ropey at points and 3 of them were directly responsible for their goals. Anita and Colback were what they are and while Obertan and Cisse had their moments they led to a fair bit of the play breaking up at times. Tiote & de Jong may as well have not bothered coming on such was their lack of involvement.

Tiote was obviously massively unfit but I still think the attacking players tiring was a bigger reason for it. De Jong is just so different to Wijnaldum and that sub wasn't the right one for this match. Badly needed Ayoze or Aarons there in the end when everyone else was tired, not the static De Jong.

Sissoko & Wijnaldum aside I don't think anyone had a particularly good game. All 4 defenders were ropey at points and 3 of them were directly responsible for their goals. Anita and Colback were what they are and while Obertan and Cisse had their moments they led to a fair bit of the play breaking up at times. Tiote & de Jong may as well have not bothered coming on such was their lack of involvement.

:thup:

Tiote was obviously massively unfit but I still think the attacking players tiring was a bigger reason for it. De Jong is just so different to Wijnaldum and that sub wasn't the right one for this match. Badly needed Ayoze or Aarons there in the end when everyone else was tired, not the static De Jong.

As if this doesn't happen every time Tiote plays, his lack of fitness had nothing to do with it.

I fancy de Jongs aerial presence at defending set pieces was a factor.

It's not Anita going off that changed things in itself, it's Tiote coming on and changing the entire composition of our midfield by making us a lot deeper. This in turn exacerbated by De Jong coming on and staying much further upfield than Wiijnaldum.

Its not Anita going off, its Tiote coming on and playing differently to Anita? I agree with your second point but first one doesnt make sense like  :lol:

:thup:

Not having this, it's so overly negative :lol: