Newcastle United 2 - 2 Southampton - 09/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 46

Dave

When i think about today's match, I think we lost 2 points at around 60 minutes or so. At that point, Obertan should have come off as he was beginning to look clumsy and back to his non-confident 5-10 mins self. This was right around the time he couldn't capitalize on the 3 v 2 I believe and passed it back to our defense, a critical mistake in not getting something of a corner or chance on goal.

Thinking further - we scored in the 48th and gave up the equalizer some 30 minutes later. Obertan should have come off in the 60-ish minute time when we were still pushing on for that 3rd. Aarons should have came on at that point and given their fullback sub problems. It would have forced Southampton to spend more time worrying about Aarons running at them constantly who I'd imagine does give a cause for any opposing manager some concern due to his unpredictability and left foot. So we didn't make that sub, in the 60-ish minute. At that point, McClaren had another opportunity to do it in the 68th when Anita went down. Instead, in the 68th minute, Anita gets stretchered off and McClaren IMO should have pushed Colback into Anita's role, Gini as the box-to-box, Obertan off for Aarons to keep the width and pace fresh, and Perez as the #10 to keep the technical nature and drifting/more mobile team. Those 2 moves would have kept us firmly in control IMO.  Colback is Colback, but he has played for more in preseason to at least be capable of playing far deeper, starting attacks and letting Gini do the work.

Mind you for the 2 Colback blocks and the Mane miss, we had 2 hand balls in their box, a Davis block on Gini, and another trickling shot cleared off the line. So I'm going to cancel those out.

:thup: said this during the match, we should have made attacking subs around 60 minutes and well before they scored. They had fuck all to worry about for too long knew it.

I think some here are determined to hate Colback.

I didn't even like him when he was on our side, he was very good today though. Fair play to him.

He wasn't very good, he was OK, you're right about the determineds though.

I didn't even like him when he was on our side, he was very good today though. Fair play to him.

I'm not determined to hate him. I hate him. I can't understand how anyone can give him the time of day after his celebration/photo antics with the mackems the other year. (Cue Ian screaming that this shouldn't be held against him.)

If he was a tremendous talent I'd ignore all that in a heartbeat but he's not. He's bang average at best and I don't want him playing for my club.

f***ing Shane long man :anguish:

Didn't realise at the time how bad Janmaats defending was for that.

That cross should never have come in man. Janmaat should have done a bit better but Haidara left him with about 20 yards of space to get the cross in, was ridiculous.

*edit to add* Obertan could have helped as well. They only had threat down our left all game, the right side was locked down, Mclaren could have done more tactically with that.

I'm not determined to hate him. I hate him. I can't understand how anyone can give him the time of day after his celebration/photo antics with the mackems the other year. (Cue Ian screaming that this shouldn't be held against him.)

If he was a tremendous talent I'd ignore all that in a heartbeat but he's not. He's bang average at best and I don't want him playing for my club.

I'd have done exactly the same as him in the derby game, loads of people calling you allsorts of crap then you get a chance to turn it back, fucking right I would.

I'd have done exactly the same as him in the derby game, loads of people calling you allsorts of crap then you get a chance to turn it back, f***ing right I would.

:anguish:

Comes with the territory, man. You absolutely do not rub it in like he did then pretend to be Mr Geordie when your club picks you out of the bargain bin.

I'd have done exactly the same as him in the derby game, loads of people calling you allsorts of crap then you get a chance to turn it back, f***ing right I would.

:anguish:

Comes with the territory, man. You absolutely do not rub it in like he did then pretend to be Mr Geordie when your club picks you out of the bargain bin.

How did he pretend to be Mr Geordie ?

I'd have done exactly the same as him in the derby game, loads of people calling you allsorts of crap then you get a chance to turn it back, fucking right I would.

[emoji38]

[emoji38]

Yeah like after taking loads of shit and presented with a chance to give some back you'd say "Ooooh no". In that game he got more stick for being a local and got a chance to ram it back. Pisses me off fans who think "I've paid my money so can shout what I want" but get pissed off when a player celebrates, grow up man, it has to cut both ways.

I rewatched the 2nd goal from that higher camera angle, Sissoko slowed down (assuming he gave up on play / didn't think Obertan would hit a cross there) and was the furthest forward! But Gini's lung bursting 90 yard run was Outstanding effort and determination. Incredible drive by the new man.

[emoji38]

Yeah like after taking loads of shit and presented with a chance to give some back you'd say "Ooooh no". In that game he got more stick for being a local and got a chance to ram it back. Pisses me off fans who think "I've paid my money so can shout what I want" but get pissed off when a player celebrates, grow up man, it has to cut both ways.

I couldn't give a shit if the ginger little shit had simply celebrated enthusiastically or whatever, it's not the point as that's not what he did on the numerous separate occasions he tried to rub NUFC fans' noses in it before turning up at SJP expecting to be welcomed with open arms as some kind of prodigal son.

[emoji38]

I couldn't give a shit if the ginger little shit had simply celebrated enthusiastically or whatever, it's not the point as that's not what he did on the numerous separate occasions he tried to rub NUFC fans' noses in it before turning up at SJP expecting to be welcomed with open arms as some kind of prodigal son.

Howey mate #proffesionalism

[emoji38]

http://themagpies.weebly.com/uploads/9/6/1/5/9615610/__5052186.jpg

[emoji38]

http://themagpies.weebly.com/uploads/9/6/1/5/9615610/__5052186.jpg

lol

[emoji38]

Yeah like after taking loads of s*** and presented with a chance to give some back you'd say "Ooooh no". In that game he got more stick for being a local and got a chance to ram it back. Pisses me off fans who think "I've paid my money so can shout what I want" but get p*ssed off when a player celebrates, grow up man, it has to cut both ways.

I couldn't give a s*** if the ginger little s*** had simply celebrated enthusiastically or whatever, it's not the point as that's not what he did on the numerous separate occasions he tried to rub NUFC fans' noses in it before turning up at SJP expecting to be welcomed with open arms as some kind of prodigal son.

:thup:. Possibly the most maddening thing is that he basically has received a hero's welcome from the overwhelming majority of our fanbase. Fans who think we've 'got one over on the Mackems by bringing Geordie Jack home' make a mockery of the rivalry and an embarrassment of themselves , particularly as they're showing such goodwill towards a sub-mediocre player who is also masquerading as a lifelong fan.

McClaren has a heap of work to do in order to sort the team out.

I saw the whole match on TV live and whilst there was an improvement in effort and attempting to play out from the back instead of hoofing it, the problems we knew existed were all too obvious ; Colo caught out several times in the second half and was lucky to get away with it because Southampton should have scored at least twice from this. We need another quick CB.

Was satisfied with Mbemba's debut - he IS quick and can play but both he and Colo were struggling against Pelle when balls were played into our box because neither is a tall defender.

Wijnaldum had some good contributions and obviously has talent - great running and header for the goal - but seemed to fade as the game went on. Too soon to comment on Mitrovic, didn't have enough time to get into the game but he looks a physical CF although not very quick on first impression...we shall see.

Sissoko was the main threat until our m/f was disrupted and Tiote didn't look as if he gave a monkeys....always played a short, safe ball every time he got it and never made much effort to help build attacks....once Long equalized(I dreaded seeing him come on as he has often given Colo a chasing in previous games against us), only one side was going to win if anyone did and it wasn't us...

We all know about Obertan - a Curate's Egg, good in parts but ... great run and cross for the goal and at least he tried. Thought Haidara got better as the game went on and his defence work seemed to improve. Colback was the brunt of some grumbles until he redeemed himself with 2 saving late tackles and block - previously he had been slowing attacks and he IS one paced.

Loads more, but overall, a reasonable start against a team who won't be push-overs - agree with all those who wanted Obertan off and Aarons on in the second half because we may just have been able to snatch it then.

Defence will continue to be a problem with the same personnel in the middle.

It's almost Ronaldo's trademark expression, but Colo is so weak now. He really is a soft touch. So lucky that Yoshida didn't score or Mane after Colo let him cut inside. Janmaat was beaten far too easily for #2 as well. Wiki has him at 6'1 to Shane Long's 5'11, but he didn't get much of a challenge in.

They ran us ragged in the last twenty minutes, but let's just say that was fitness and the disruption from Anita going off. All in all, a good point!

I rewatched the 2nd goal from that higher camera angle, Sissoko slowed down (assuming he gave up on play / didn't think Obertan would hit a cross there) and was the furthest forward! But Gini's lung bursting 90 yard run was Outstanding effort and determination. Incredible drive by the new man.

I had an eye on the middle when Obertan ran down the line, I think I actually said "fuck sake!" when he hit the cross first time as I thought it was another instance of Obertan bottling it, Gini had no right to be even getting a header in, let alone one that good.