Man United 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 22/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 39

BlueStar

Didn't see the game today.

I have to ask though, given that we dug in today and battled to a point under pressure by not conceding, is everyone that was absolutely DISGUSTED by McClaren's decision to shut up shop at 2-0 at Swansea still feeling self righteous about it?

:anguish:

Were you one of them? [emoji38]

You're normally a very good poster but I don't understand what you're trying to say there like. How does us shutting up shop while getting beat last week relate to today's result?

Ok, I'll try to explain a bit better. The most important part of this is the big picture. In the dark days of Pardew one of the main things that kept the argument raging was that some people analysed every game in isolation, which I thought was a big mistake. It was short term thinking that lead Pardew to set up the team on a game by game basis, and analysing the way the team played in isolation for 90 minutes at a time every week told us little about what was actually going on at the club. Hence, a lot of very confused views about Pardew, and some people taking an age to work out he was awful.

It's worth pointing out here that the three people who have picked me up on my post Man U post are people I've largely agreed with in the past, especially on Pardew, which is why I think this is a discussion worth having.

With all this in mind, last week we didn't play particularly well and suffered from some extremely stupid play by Janmaat. We were away to a good team in form and the game was gone. McClaren decided to shut up shop and got pelters from plenty of people on here. At the time, I thought that was a totally understandable decision, and one that might go some way to increasing a fragile team spirit if we could see out the game without conceding again. What McClaren did worked.

Given that the team are being praised for being disciplined in defence, showing team spirit and togetherness in yesterday's game......it seems fairly straightforward to me that the decision McClaren took last week to dig in and not concede any more in a game we'd already lost...was a reasonable one, and went some way to fostering the team spirit and resolve to fight for each other that won us an impressive point at Old Trafford.

Back to the big picture, and the reason I was questioning the criticism of McClaren during and after the Swansea game. I think the criticism was harsh and indicative of a mindset that is a little too anxious to get on the managers back. I think some people need to fully let Pardew go and give the new manager a chance to prove whether he's up to it or not, because I think it's reasonable to suggest it could go either way.

bang on.

Didn't see the game today.

I have to ask though, given that we dug in today and battled to a point under pressure by not conceding, is everyone that was absolutely DISGUSTED by McClaren's decision to shut up shop at 2-0 at Swansea still feeling self righteous about it?

:anguish:

Were you one of them? [emoji38]

You're normally a very good poster but I don't understand what you're trying to say there like. How does us shutting up shop while getting beat last week relate to today's result?

Ok, I'll try to explain a bit better. The most important part of this is the big picture. In the dark days of Pardew one of the main things that kept the argument raging was that some people analysed every game in isolation, which I thought was a big mistake. It was short term thinking that lead Pardew to set up the team on a game by game basis, and analysing the way the team played in isolation for 90 minutes at a time every week told us little about what was actually going on at the club. Hence, a lot of very confused views about Pardew, and some people taking an age to work out he was awful.

It's worth pointing out here that the three people who have picked me up on my post Man U post are people I've largely agreed with in the past, especially on Pardew, which is why I think this is a discussion worth having.

With all this in mind, last week we didn't play particularly well and suffered from some extremely stupid play by Janmaat. We were away to a good team in form and the game was gone. McClaren decided to shut up shop and got pelters from plenty of people on here. At the time, I thought that was a totally understandable decision, and one that might go some way to increasing a fragile team spirit if we could see out the game without conceding again. What McClaren did worked.

Given that the team are being praised for being disciplined in defence, showing team spirit and togetherness in yesterday's game......it seems fairly straightforward to me that the decision McClaren took last week to dig in and not concede any more in a game we'd already lost...was a reasonable one, and went some way to fostering the team spirit and resolve to fight for each other that won us an impressive point at Old Trafford.

Back to the big picture, and the reason I was questioning the criticism of McClaren during and after the Swansea game. I think the criticism was harsh and indicative of a mindset that is a little too anxious to get on the managers back. I think some people need to fully let Pardew go and give the new manager a chance to prove whether he's up to it or not, because I think it's reasonable to suggest it could go either way.

Good post imo.

Very :thup:

I think it was obvious the way the defensive players celebrated at the final whistle that the overall objective was keeping a clean sheet (as a gameplan). McClaren said himself before the match that it was a relatively young group, with several new players getting to know one another, and that they would learn a lot about themselves from this game, if as instructed, they had a go.

Guest firetotheworks

They won't have watched it, they know that they can say and do what they want and it'll be inconsequential.