Man United 0 - 0 Newcastle United - 22/08/15 - Post-match reaction from page 39

BlueStar

Didn't see the game today.

I have to ask though, given that we dug in today and battled to a point under pressure by not conceding, is everyone that was absolutely DISGUSTED by McClaren's decision to shut up shop at 2-0 at Swansea still feeling self righteous about it?

:anguish:

Were you one of them? [emoji38]

You're normally a very good poster but I don't understand what you're trying to say there like. How does us shutting up shop while getting beat last week relate to today's result?

Relatively happy with a point, nearly won it at the end though. Drawing with or beating Man U isn't as much of a big deal nowadays though, it's not like beating City or Chelsea.

Very true this - a few years ago this might have been a season-defining performance. Now it's merely encouraging.

Top 4 is such an anachronism. These days it's Man Citeh and Chelsea and then daylight, with a few good teams like Man Yoo, Arsenal and Liverpool fighting over the scraps that are the Champions League slots

I just got a text msg from a man u fan. It was stats from the game. Always good to remind me how much I would love to beat the pricks. After Sunderland its a tie with palace with teams I hate

You should have text him back with this stat.

Score: 0-0.

The best linesman of the world

He got it spot on. At first I thought it was the wrong call, BT's computerised angle, and MOTD last freeze frame show that he was just off. On MOTD they were saying how the advantage should be with the attacker yet referee's and linesmen are taught to call it offside if your not 100% sure.

The best linesman of the world

He got it spot on. At first I thought it was the wrong call, BT's computerised angle, and MOTD last freeze frame show that he was just off. On MOTD they were saying how th advantage should be with the attacker yet referee's and linesmen are taught to call it offside if your not 100% sure.

Bit like the pens V southampton, they got the right decisions but I'm buggered if I know how, from the angles they had and having to be sure etc.

Been very impressed with the officiating in general so far this season (bar the Liverpool Bournemouth game which was a joke)

Pluses from this game ;

Colo at last looking something like he used to be...credit where its due, a MOM performance from him

A MUCH better attitude from the players after the first 20 mins...dug in and actually LOOKED something like a team for the last 20 mins of first half.

Krul's save from Chicharito...a turning point.

Haidara - much better from him and is a real asset going forward..his defending was mostly OK too.

Mitrovic NOT getting booked and looking as if he could really trouble PL defenders once he gets up to speed...needs a partner though. Great header could have put us ahead although it would have been a travesty if we had sneaked it.

The result - a confidence builder for both players and fans before the tasks that lie ahead.

Negatives ;

The side don't look collectively fit - faded badly in second half and we were lucky that Man U have not got a great finisher because we allowed them to camp in our half by constantly giving the ball away and players stopped finding space or running for each other...this is how we used to play when Pardew was in charge and McClaren has work ahead to alter this mindset.

We lack a playmaker like Cabaye..I said this last week and after we faded it was even more obvious. If Cabaye was alongside Wijnaldum we would look - and be - a far more dangerous side although Wijnaldum himself has faded in the second period of the games played so far...some of this will be altered as he adjusts to the PL pace but also down to the fact that he is the only m/f player with pace and skill..and he knows it so has to take more responsibility. A player like Cabaye would help us keep possession more often and if we continue to give the ball away we will lose a lot of games.

Churlish to say much more, but everyone knows where the weaknesses are...

In summary, more absorbing than enjoyable - we rode our luck, but a vast improvement on last week's debacle.

Before anyone gets carried away, look at what happened with Bournemouth - newly-promoted teams often produce shock results, but once we start beating the likes of WHU away from home we can say we are really making progress.

I hope this result doesn't end up with the club thinking they can do without another CB, because Taylor will soon be injured again...

Never seen this. Creased.

CNCXX6fWgAABfyd.jpg:large

Pearce played for City as well. Someone there must have royally p*ssed him off. That or he's a complete clown.

The sacked him for being a shit manager.  Funny that.

I have to ask though, given that we dug in today and battled to a point under pressure by not conceding, is everyone that was absolutely DISGUSTED by McClaren's decision to shut up shop at 2-0 at Swansea still feeling self righteous about it?

:lol:  :jesuswept:

What's the craic Mick?

You're normally a very good poster but I don't understand what you're trying to say there like. How does us shutting up shop while getting beat last week relate to today's result?

Ok, I'll try to explain a bit better. The most important part of this is the big picture. In the dark days of Pardew one of the main things that kept the argument raging was that some people analysed every game in isolation, which I thought was a big mistake. It was short term thinking that lead Pardew to set up the team on a game by game basis, and analysing the way the team played in isolation for 90 minutes at a time every week told us little about what was actually going on at the club. Hence, a lot of very confused views about Pardew, and some people taking an age to work out he was awful.

It's worth pointing out here that the three people who have picked me up on my post Man U post are people I've largely agreed with in the past, especially on Pardew, which is why I think this is a discussion worth having.

With all this in mind, last week we didn't play particularly well and suffered from some extremely stupid play by Janmaat. We were away to a good team in form and the game was gone. McClaren decided to shut up shop and got pelters from plenty of people on here. At the time, I thought that was a totally understandable decision, and one that might go some way to increasing a fragile team spirit if we could see out the game without conceding again. What McClaren did worked.

Given that the team are being praised for being disciplined in defence, showing team spirit and togetherness in yesterday's game......it seems fairly straightforward to me that the decision McClaren took last week to dig in and not concede any more in a game we'd already lost...was a reasonable one, and went some way to fostering the team spirit and resolve to fight for each other that won us an impressive point at Old Trafford.

Back to the big picture, and the reason I was questioning the criticism of McClaren during and after the Swansea game. I think the criticism was harsh and indicative of a mindset that is a little too anxious to get on the managers back. I think some people need to fully let Pardew go and give the new manager a chance to prove whether he's up to it or not, because I think it's reasonable to suggest it could go either way.

Last week we played with 0 strikers while 2-0 down.

This week we sat back and defended to secure a 0-0 draw and a point, while keeping attacking players on that allowed us to counter attack and nearly secure a late win.

There is a difference.

edit: and if the issue is that people are too desperate to get on the back of McClaren then why draw issue with people not being upset about sitting back to get the draw? It doesn't back up your argument does it?

Last week we played with 0 strikers while 2-0 down.

This week we sat back and defended to secure a 0-0 draw and a point, while keeping attacking players on that allowed us to counter attack and nearly secure a late win.

There is a difference.

edit: and if the issue is that people are too desperate to get on the back of McClaren then why draw issue with people not being upset about sitting back to get the draw? It doesn't back up your argument does it?

Of course there's a difference, in Swansea we had ten men and the game was gone. Besides, I'm not saying it was the same performance or the same game, merely that one may have played some part in the success of the other.

I've read your edit four times and I don't know what you're trying to say.

What's the craic Mick?

You've said yourself that you hadn't watched the game yesterday yet you're having a go at people for how they reacted against Swansea (feeling self righteous) because of our result against Man U which you hadn't/haven't even seen. 

Ok, I'll try to explain a bit better. The most important part of this is the big picture. In the dark days of Pardew one of the main things that kept the argument raging was that some people analysed every game in isolation, which I thought was a big mistake. It was short term thinking that lead Pardew to set up the team on a game by game basis, and analysing the way the team played in isolation for 90 minutes at a time every week told us little about what was actually going on at the club. Hence, a lot of very confused views about Pardew, and some people taking an age to work out he was awful.

It's worth pointing out here that the three people who have picked me up on my post Man U post are people I've largely agreed with in the past, especially on Pardew, which is why I think this is a discussion worth having.

With all this in mind, last week we didn't play particularly well and suffered from some extremely stupid play by Janmaat. We were away to a good team in form and the game was gone. McClaren decided to shut up shop and got pelters from plenty of people on here. At the time, I thought that was a totally understandable decision, and one that might go some way to increasing a fragile team spirit if we could see out the game without conceding again. What McClaren did worked.

Given that the team are being praised for being disciplined in defence, showing team spirit and togetherness in yesterday's game......it seems fairly straightforward to me that the decision McClaren took last week to dig in and not concede any more in a game we'd already lost...was a reasonable one, and went some way to fostering the team spirit and resolve to fight for each other that won us an impressive point at Old Trafford.

Back to the big picture, and the reason I was questioning the criticism of McClaren during and after the Swansea game. I think the criticism was harsh and indicative of a mindset that is a little too anxious to get on the managers back. I think some people need to fully let Pardew go and give the new manager a chance to prove whether he's up to it or not, because I think it's reasonable to suggest it could go either way.

Good post imo.

This is all very crystal ball, but I think if we'd gone for it at Swansea, we'd have shipped a couple more goals and probably got beaten yesterday, too.

I felt McClaren shutting up shop at Swansea was the correct decision at the time, and personally I think the decision is vindicated by the fact we haven't conceded since the moment he did it.

I'm gonna have to start moving away from Pards comparisons - and I will, one day - but in the mean time I think it's relevant to point out we'd have been battered four-nowt at Swansea and lost yesterday, too.

What's the craic Mick?

You've said yourself that you hadn't watched the game yesterday yet you're having a go at people for how they reacted against Swansea (feeling self righteous) because of our result against Man U which you hadn't/haven't even seen. 

Howay Mick, I don't think I need to watch the 90 minutes against Man United to make the point. Everything I've read about it on here and elsewhere suggests it was a hard fought draw based on resolve, commitment and team spirit, if I'm mistaken feel free to correct me.

I'm not trying to have a go, if it came across like that then I've not expressed myself accurately.

Guest Howaythetoon

I didn't see the game, but a clean sheet at OT and a point is good stuff. Its something to build on and although Man Utd are bobbins these days, we normally go their and capitulate regardless even when we have had a good side or been in good form.