West Ham 2 - 0 Newcastle United - 14/09/15 - Post-match reaction from page 40

BlueStar

Full credit to the Journal for putting the most comical part of tonight's game on the front page...

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/14/fe7b07fe96ce717c17010cfd93ed9abd.jpg

Fucking Cisse.

:lol: I know it's a low-resolution photo but Cisse's face sums it up

I know this is almost certainly giggs, but have really only won two league games since January?

Yep. Three this year.

http://i.imgur.com/nfzObkM.png

Unrealistic expectations them deluded Geordies. Always protesting over nothing. Don't know how good they have it with Ashley FTM. FTM.

Definitely, and we shouldn't have forced Pardew out. Look how much better off we were up to this point last year:

http://i.imgur.com/OwJL9Zd.png

Didn't show the game live here in Oz, but I won't watch the recording - another dire show by the sound of it and another game with a failure to score. We have scored twice from open play against Saints, failed against Man U, Arsenal and Hammers...

If we lose to Watford, McClaren is going to start feeling the screw big time and his honeymoon period is now well and truly over.

We are in big trouble, bottom of the league and not looking likely to create danger to any opposition - if this doesn't change quickly we will be in deep relegation trouble as confidence continues to slump.

Happy days again at SJP.....

What is it that is so wrong with this club, that for some reason it automatically makes every leader and player we have shit?

Like, why does nothing work for us?

If you look away from all the board problems and owner issues, how come it goes so deep into the walls that players/leaders come to Newcastle and get sucked into shitness?

We really are the definition of a losers club, how the hell is this going to get turned into the right path?

Away from home in the Premier League:

2012-13: w3 d4 l12 (scored: 21 conceded: 37)

2013-14: w7 d1 l11 (scored: 20 conceded: 31)

2014-15: w2 d7 l10 (scored: 14 conceded: 36)

2015-16: w0 d1 l2 (scored: 0 conceded: 4)

TOTAL: p60 w12 d13 l35 (scored: 55 conceded: 108)

49 points out of a possible 180 away from home in our last 3+ seasons.

We aren't good.

Thankfully didn't watch the game last night, but decent video on Neville slating our midfield - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/9991907/newcastle-cannot-be-happy-with-recruitment-says-jamie-carragher

Spot on. It's a bit harsh on Wijnaldum, to a degree, but he was quite passive in his play, probably because neither of the central 2 came up to support the striker so he ended up going backwards a lot. And, amazingly, we still managed to get broken on on a consistent basis. I just hope SMC's not as stubborn as Pardew and can see what needs to change.

Thankfully didn't watch the game last night, but decent video on Neville slating our midfield - http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11678/9991907/newcastle-cannot-be-happy-with-recruitment-says-jamie-carragher

It was a reasonable description of what went wrong. However, short of any ideas (inevitably) about how to put things right.

We usually rely on Wijnaldum to make runs into the box, but for some reason he didn't figure too much tonight. That screen analysis showed he had few touches on the ball. Perhaps the delivery wasn't right.

Our crossing wasn't too great throughout, which obviously didn't help. We often seemed to hit the first defender, or spend too much time trying to work room for the cross. Janmaat did okay, but Haidara doesn't look that confident going forward. He's strong, but seems to struggle to keep hold of the ball and use it when under pressure.

But there are two bigger problems at the moment. If your central midfield are going to figure going forward you need a striker who can hold the ball up, and that's a very weak area with Cisse. He also doesn't put himself about enough, only making token challenges for aerial balls, and not showing much physical courage in the area.

The other one - as Neville was saying - is the midfield. We're not defending our back four and we're not preventing counter-attacks. Personally, I'd always felt that Colback-Wijnaldum would be the better combination (though not ideal), but it would really help if we had a strong and fit De Jong to compensate for Wijnaldum's deeper position. Either that, or move Perez inside into that number 10 role.

Perez is very deceptive, in that he looks like a breath of wind would blow him over. In fact, he's very strong, and can cope with getting buffeted around in the centre. There are certain players that I don't think McClaren has quite got sussed, and Perez and Cisse are the main two.

Sorry for the long post, but there were signs out there of the potential to improve. A win on Saturday would help a lot for confidence.

I've only read the comments by Carragher and Neville, but they're spot on that we just aren't taking enough risks. We don't get enough bodies in front of the ball to give the man in possession any options. Playing two DMs against teams like West Ham doesn't help. You could make a case for that against Man U or Arsenal but there's no excuse for that against West Ham, even away. We still seem to be in the Pardew mentality of keeping it tight for as long as possible and trying to nick something. When you go behind it is very difficult to change into an offensive mentality, especially if its in the first half because few managers will make substitutes then. You're left with a defensive set up until there are only 30 minutes left. Look how few games we've won coming from behind in recent years.

McClaren deserves time to try and change the mess of the last few seasons, and we do seem to play it along the ground more. There have been a few, albeit limited, signs that the team has potential. He needs to learn fast though and have the balls to shake things up. We need two natural wide players to offer the team balance and width. Either move Sissoko or drop him. Cisse is ineffective on his own - play two up front or drop him.We don't see what happens in training, but Aarons and Perez bring width and creativity we're desperately short of. Like everyone else here I don't see Anita or Colback as the answer and I'm not even sure who is better but for the time being only one should play. I was surprised and disappointed to see McClaren stick with them. If anything positive comes out of this game, hopefully he'll finally change it. If we line up with those two at home to Watford, I'll be very worried.

Before yesterday's game I would have said I was happy with the progress we've made and after sleeping on it and given the chance of deep disappointment and frustration a chance to pass I sill think we're moving in the right direction. Someone in this thread earlier mentioned the same thing but I think we've been so bad for so long the rot has set in deep and it's going to take a while to solve the problems.

We've made positive changes in the coaching department and you've got to hope that in time

that will pay off. What I really want to see is lessons being learned though. Anita and Colback in the middle is not good enough for the Premier League and we won't control a game with that partnership. I really rate Anita but he needs a dominant player next to him. I'd like to see Sissoko or Winjaldum in there so they've actually got a

chance to carry the ball from a deep position.

I'll be massively disappointed if both De Jong and Perez don't start the next game. Thauvin seemed far more effective on the right too.

I think there's been a massive overreaction. Not in here in particular but in general.

Everything should settle with 3 points against Watford. Changes needed.

Cisse is the first change for me, not Colback.

Guest firetotheworks

He's been totally shit but I dunno who else we play there at the moment. Probably Perez, although I'd prefer him a bit deeper.

I'd be looking at trying to get Gini with Anita in midfield with De Jong and Perez further forward and go from there. For the time being...

Winjnaldum Anita

Sissoko                            Thavin

De Jong

Perez

Jamaat was not good defensively. Far from it.

Mbemba headed a ball weakly into the midfield (twice), school boy error.

Colback, and i don't particularly mind him tbh, really did nothing.

Anita isn't good enough at one thing.

Wijnaldum was ineffective.

Our wide players, especially Thauvin always seemed to be double marked but despite that we had no one from midfield taking advantage of the space that will create.

Cisse was awful. Can't even pass half the time.

Our wide players, especially Thauvin always seemed to be double marked but despite that we had no one from midfield taking advantage of the space that will create.

How can people post this as a serious response?

How can people post this as a serious response?

Speak your mind then.

Wijnaldum was playing too high as an AM, for me. Colback was a massive hindrance in us building from the back, as he hid far too often, but Wijnaldum was staying closer to Cisse than really necessary, at times, when we could've done with someone dropping into a pocket to link play more. Possibly because he's not a true 10, tbf, but I can't imagine that's how the role is being coached.

Wijnaldum needs to see more of the ball and he won't do that in the posision he plays now. Needs to play deeper.

He looked a lot better when he did drop deeper. Not a total surprise since that's where he's done well in Holland.