Do you want NUFC to be relegated?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I think it's fair to say it's a catch 22 by definition, nothings going to happen either way, it's a frustrating scenario that makes us feel powerless about something we love. Do we go down and risk falling so far behind, being labelled a yoyo team and losing what little pride we have left on the notion Ashley could sell up? Or do we languish in the bottom third of the league, losing all hope and memories of battling in Europe, still losing our last remaining pride and being cannon fodder for an increasing number of "top half" teams because "we can't compete"?

The ideal scenario is that someone with a vision and some football nous comes in and utilises our resources in the right way and has us competing again, without the need for relegation. The only true positive we can have of going down is the possibility of actually winning some football matches again and seeing Ashley's pocket/ego take a hit. I also think it's the only way to unite the fans against him. However I don't think the long term outcome of that would benefit the club. Getting rid of Ashley is one thing, finding a buyer is another.

The Premiership itself, indeed, is quite pointless. Even if NUFC were the best version of itself (i.e., smartly run, spending 30m a year in transfer fees, good manager, collection of best players outside of the Champions League), we'd still only be able to hope for 5th-7th most years with maybe a miracle season once every decade or so where we finished fourth.

There's no point trying to compete unless you're Man United, Arsenal, or a club with an owner to whom money is no object. For a club like NUFC, your best case scenario if every single thing goes perfectly right for an entire year is maybe fourth and probably not even that. This is not sport. There's no point.

Wah wah wah.

If you're enjoying yourself that's fine. I'm just saying that I'm not.

The Premiership itself, indeed, is quite pointless. Even if NUFC were the best version of itself (i.e., smartly run, spending 30m a year in transfer fees, good manager, collection of best players outside of the Champions League), we'd still only be able to hope for 5th-7th most years with maybe a miracle season once every decade or so where we finished fourth.

There's no point trying to compete unless you're Man United, Arsenal, or a club with an owner to whom money is no object. For a club like NUFC, your best case scenario if every single thing goes perfectly right for an entire year is maybe fourth and probably not even that. This is not sport. There's no point.

Playoffs.

Playoffs.

Not enough. I want playoffs, a draft, a Europe-wide salary cap, the whole shebang.

Whilst I agree with this, the premier league is full of clubs I absolutely loath. If we were a decent ran club it'd be nice to see us get one over on a few constantly, instead of the other way round.

Whilst I agree with this, the premier league is full of clubs I absolutely loath. If we were a decent ran club it'd be nice to see us get one over on a few constantly, instead of the other way round.

Have to agree with this, sick of getting turned over by dross, winning the league is way out of our grasp but regularly beating Crystal Phallus and the Mackems would make the season more enjoyable again

Playoffs.

Not enough. I want playoffs, a draft, a Europe-wide salary cap, the whole shebang.

:lol: Look at you.

How would the draft work?

Playoffs.

Draft occurs when each academy class hits age 18. Each team is allowed to "protect" 2~3 of their prospects, and the rest are put up for draft. Using protections forfeits the same number of draft picks. (For example, assuming a three-round draft, a team that protects two of its players would only draft in the third round.)

All professional football clubs who operate academies above a certain level are permitted to participate in the draft. The club with the lowest league placing picks first.

All undrafted players are returned to their original academy. Each team which has lost players is compensated for the cost of development with a pre-set fee.

Specifics can be tweaked to change incentives accordingly.

Playoffs.

Draft occurs when each academy class hits age 18. Each team is allowed to "protect" 2~3 of their prospects, and the rest are put up for draft. Using protections forfeits the same number of draft picks. (For example, assuming a three-round draft, a team that protects two of its players would only draft in the third round.)

All professional football clubs who operate academies above a certain level are permitted to participate in the draft. The club with the lowest league placing picks first.

All undrafted players are returned to their original academy. Each team which has lost players is compensated for the cost of development with a pre-set fee.

That would take absolutely ages

Playoffs.

Once more and you're banned.

Yet other teams outside the top four still manage to enjoy their football, if every other team had this attitude every one outside from 6th downwards would just pack it in. I agree it's a shame we aren't trying to win the league any more, but the reality of the situation has changed since the Keegan/Robson days. Who were Chelsea or Man City before the billions started pouring in?

Right now I'd be happy for us to be punching our weight, spending the money that we generate and are capable of generating, and that alone should see us competing for Europe and the domestic cups. Without doubt we are being hamstrung by a clueless owner who's penny pinching with staff recruitment is probably costing us far more in the long run. He finally seems to have twigged that you can't manage a club with a skeleton staff, but we still have a jumped up secretary signing off the most important football decisions. It's infuriating.

The issue for me has nothing to do with winning the league, the richest will always be up there and it's shit but inevitable. That has no bearing on my love for Newcastle. I want us to try to win and succeed, doesn't matter if we actually do, as long as we try to be the very best we can. That's why i'm so detached, because we don't. Think Dave said it earlier but being in the Championship would make Ashley, and the club, try really hard to win again because he doesn't want us to stay down there and lose money. So yes to relegation I think.

Playoffs.

One evening would be sufficient.

Playoffs.

Depends on your criteria for academies above a certain level

After reading all this it just makes me think we must act now. The only reason people want or would accept relegation is that Ashley might go. If that's the case we need to do more to force the fucker out now. That's he ultimate answer. We're fucking going down regardless of whether we want to.

Playoffs.

No reason for it to take more than a few hours even if it's all eighty football league teams.

Playoffs.

No reason for it to take more than a few hours even if it's all eighty football league teams.

Thought you meant throughout Europe. Your proposals wouldn't really fix anything then because none of the best players in the league came through English academies

• 1 month later...
Guest antz1uk

the ironic thing is the only time in all of ashley's tenure have we even remotely tried to win something it was the championship, as said previously i'd take the Southampton, Leicester or even the man City of old route to get rid of the fat cnut, the club, fans and I will still be here no matter what division, ashley won't. nufc would be no good to hm in leahue 1, no one gets exposure in that league