Newcastle United 1-1 Aston Villa - Official Thread (post match from pg25)

Disco

The team he selected wasn't good enough to put Villa to the sword, Mitro or no Mitro. Wiji and Sissoko as our wide men will never be creative enough at home consistently.

McClaren hasn't got a clue and by selecting the same side showed he's scared to make big decisions and tactical changes. Anita off over Colback again summed up that we are in for a torrid time with him in charge.

The team he selected wasn't good enough to put Villa to the sword, Mitro or no Mitro. Wiji and Sissoko as our wide men will never be creative enough at home consistently.

McClaren hasn't got a clue and by selecting the same side showed he's scared to make big decisions and tactical changes. Anita off over Colback again summed up that we are in for a torrid time with him in charge.

Of course there was enough there today to win that, we had 3/4 gilt-edged chances to do it and didn't.

It's not like the other alternatives really are much better, Perez aside - don't start saying Wijnaldum as a CM either, we're piss weak in the defensive spine of the team as it is. Hasn't someone already pointed out Anita was injured? We're not exactly in a position to start fannying about with tactics, we did that at the beginning of the season and were getting stuffed. He's found something that works better in the only shape we've got results and has stuck with it, hardly sacrilege.

I know we've got weak-as-piss centre halves but I'd have liked to see Mitrovic show the same desire as Gestede (a no-mark player, IMO) to win more aerial 50/50s. Some of his link up on the deck was good but I felt we needed more from him when we went longer.

Gestede is about 4ft taller than Mitrovic like.

I know we've got weak-as-p*ss centre halves but I'd have liked to see Mitrovic show the same desire as Gestede (a no-mark player, IMO) to win more aerial 50/50s. Some of his link up on the deck was good but I felt we needed more from him when we went longer.

Gestede is about 4ft taller than Mitrovic like.

4cm :lol:

I find it funny that the guy that supported Pardew for ages feels so strongly about bad team selection

And everything I started hating Pardew for, McClaren has basically continued? Where's the progression?

Ashley once again has fucked up an appointment and I'm not prepared to back this shit joker! He had his chance early doors but it's the same mistakes, same players picked, same players dropped, except slightly more patient football. I want him out already, he's useless.

SDJ has to hit the target from there. What a terrible header. I think a goal there would have killed the game.

As for the other two, Gini should have had a shout from Thauvin and Ayoze's was behind him and he took it early like he does. They were both only half as good as the SDJ chance. That one Mitro missed into his feet just after coming on was also a decent chance.

On the whole, we didn't create enough, given how poor they were/are. A point is all we deserved.

Totally predictable tactics(Sissoko & Janmaat trying to beat teams on their own on our right side)made it easy for Villa to counter us. They got men on to our right so that Sissoko & Janmaat couldn't get into decent crossing positions and we were always struggling to create clear chances ; the left side of our attack is toothless so there was little alternative.

Thauvin not worth his fee so far and we could have done with a proven left-sided midfielder to offer alternatives.

Back to the usual fare and both Bournemouth and Norwich won difficult games ; Bournemouth are really putting a run together so the relegation spectre is still hovering....this was a must-win and we didn't.

No two ways about it, it's been absolute cowardice from McClaren since he took over. Goes for the soft conservative approach even at home against a team with only 6 points. Continuously has fucked about with our best player (Perez) since the start of the season, and keeps starting hapless wankers like Cisse, Colback and De Jong. And the same unimaginative tactics of Gini on the left.

No wonder we hired him, can totally see how Colo ended up getting a new contract.

"Erm, Mr. Lee, can I get a new defender and we let Colo go?"

"Sit down, Steve."

I like him as a bloke but he has absolutely no passion for winning.

Not too upset about the result. Wanted us to win but we did´t play well enough - BUT we had 3-4 big chances but unfortunately we did´t take them.

Overall we did enough to win but lady luck was not with us yesterday. Still early days and it is still something to build on...remember how things where 2-3 weeks back!

What is still obvious is:

Dummett should be sold (at some point soon). Mbabu also covers DC and LB and is much more exciting. We also have haidara.

Central midfield is a mess. Sell at least one of: Tiote, Anita, Colback. Personally i hope we sell tiote coz i can´t see him hit former level. The other two are ok subs for now. Bring in a quality DCM and let Gini play central in a position just behind De Jong/Perez. (box to box)

Our lineup yesterday lacked creativity. De Jong offers something else. Replace one DCM and move Gini central (no. 8 position) - that will be a way to get a creative LW in the line up. Yesterday Gini and Sissoko were our only creative players (both on the wing).

No problem with Elliot being our goalie for the rest of the season. He is doing ok and is playing with passion.

De Jong will only get better. My only concern is he lacks pace. Away from home i think perez is a bigger threat with his pace going forward on the counter. Like both...and completion is healthy.

I really like McClaren and what him to succeed. He is not perfect but he seems like and nice guy and im convinced he is able to improve us further.

Really looking forward to the xmas/new year program: i wish for 6 points but 4 will do from the next 3 matches.

Not had a chance to rematch the highlights yet but these were my feelings at the game;

Critical chances weren't taken and we therefore didn't deserve to win,

The game stopped being a game of football as soon as the rain came, it was purely luck for a large chunk,

Colback gets in the right positions but generally a second or two after he needs to. Fearing further bookings he avoids getting tight and that generally results in us defending 15-20yrds further back,

Until the Perez sub Anita's position was 15-20yrds higher up the pitch and it suited him and us a lot better,

We badly lost our shape when De Jong went off. He was our anchorman and dictator on the pitch. A horrible miss but when he holds the ball he allows Cisse/Mitro, Sissoko, Gini and increasingly Anita to move around him in some form of attacking arrowhead,

Mitro and Perez offer a brilliant game but the conditions were never going to allow them to play quick flicks, knock downs and dribbles. Perez was poor,

The inconsistency of Sissoko and Gini (more often than not during the same games) is really hurting us. We can't afford to carry both of them during the same game,

I was a little confused by the Thauvin sub be he created chances from an albeit soaked and very sticky left wing. Still annoyed .com wrote him off as 'pathetic' so early,

Elliott was our motm again. Some vital stops in some horrible keeping conditions,

McClaren caved into the popular crowd pleasing subs when, imo, they weren't required,

I still hate Villa.

No way De Jong should be starting ahead of Perez. You need to win games from the start with your best players not bringing them on to try and win it. That needs to fucking change from the next match. De Jong just doesn't offer enough whereas Perez can score create and run all day. De Jong still looks off the pace for me.