Video technology in football

Dave

Best way to do it is having the 4th official watching the match on a TV and being in constant communication with the ref. Anything other than that with teams challenging decisions etc and it'll be a farce.

This.  Rugby, Cricket and NFL are all much more stop start anyway.  So I don't think it takes much away from the game.  I just don't think it would work in football. 

Crap idea, because so many decisions in football are matters of subjective opinion, rather than fact. You only have to look at how many times the pundits in the TV studios disagree or are uncertain about decisions, after numerous replays on the same incident.

This'll cause more arguments, not fewer.

If it has to happen it should be someone in the stadium or a central location watching the game and giving the head ref info as it happens. He can change his call quickly or whatever and that's it. Doubt they'll get it right though, so it's pointless. Only thing I'm adamant about is retrospective bans for diving, off-the-ball incidents, etc.

Saying there won't be talking points anymore because of video replay is so stupid though :lol: It'll only cause more controversy, the NFL's had this in place for over a decade and there's still debates over replayed decisions, football is a lot more subjective than NFL. Don't worry about your talking points.

Crap idea, because so many decisions in football are matters of subjective opinion, rather than fact. You only have to look at how many times the pundits in the TV studios disagree or are uncertain about decisions, after numerous replays on the same incident. 

Well yeah, including the referees opinion, who could make a more informed opinion given video assistance.

Totally against it. Soon there will be no talking points in professional football as everything will be 'corrected' by technology. All because it's now 'a business' and the potential to 'lose millions' is at stake. Just accept that the errors will be made and that the controversy is part of the games beauty.

Also, it will just open the path for- as stated above- additional advertisement.

Not for the purist, no thanks.

Right, because everybody always has the exact same opinion on a decision once we've seen the replay. :lol:

There'll still be plenty of controversy, video refs will make decisions people don't agree with as a huge percentage of decisions are subjective.

What this could cut out, however, is blatant cheating and absolute refereeing howlers that cost teams games when everyone can see an injustice has been done. I've no idea why anyone would be against it in a sport so badly littered with cheating.

If it has to happen it should be someone in the stadium or a central location watching the game and giving the head ref info as it happens. He can change his call quickly or whatever and that's it. Doubt they'll get it right though, so it's pointless. Only thing I'm adamant about is retrospective bans for diving, off-the-ball incidents, etc.

Saying there won't be talking points anymore because of video replay is so stupid though :lol: It'll only cause more controversy, the NFL's had this in place for over a decade and there's still debates over replayed decisions, football is a lot more subjective than NFL. Don't worry about your talking points.

This is the one for me, when a player gets a yellow or a foul for removing someone's leg and beating them with the bloody end but it can't be contested retrospectively because the ref "saw" it happen is fucking obscene.

So long as it's not too invasive and doesn't slow the game down then I'm all for anything that makes it more a level playing ground. Biased referees will have nowhere to hide.

Tbh I don't see why NUFC fans would miss the so-called flow of the game. Would be quite nice having a rest from it actually.

Good point :lol:

Actually I'd it's used to absolutely eradicate diving and shame every little quim in the league, bring it in.

Totally against it. Soon there will be no talking points in professional football as everything will be 'corrected' by technology. All because it's now 'a business' and the potential to 'lose millions' is at stake. Just accept that the errors will be made and that the controversy is part of the games beauty.

Also, it will just open the path for- as stated above- additional advertisement.

Not for the purist, no thanks.

Right, because everybody always has the exact same opinion on a decision once we've seen the replay. :lol:

There'll still be plenty of controversy, video refs will make decisions people don't agree with as a huge percentage of decisions are subjective.

What this could cut out, however, is blatant cheating and absolute refereeing howlers that cost teams games when everyone can see an injustice has been done. I've no idea why anyone would be against it in a sport so badly littered with cheating.

:thup:

I don't get the romanticization of massive errors by refs and people saying they are part of the game.