Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Don't think you know what you're going to get with Townsend though, he's erratic and he's barely played. If we were going for English players who were performing regularly and well then that would be different.

I've never really seen much of Townsend other than his purple patch when he burst onto the scene so can't really comment. He looked really good back then though. I can only assume we are in for him because McClaren really rates him so this is a big test of his judgement if he ends up here.

A £14million bid for the England international has been mooted, but sources in the capital claim that Spurs are holding out for a bigger fee.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/newcastle-united-transfers-spurs-playing-10761931

:yao:

Banished to the U21s but they're going to demand a silly transfer fee for him. Daniel Levy is a right fucking jockstrap, man.

We should stop wasting time with this one, surely the money we had bid could get Redmond from Norwich who would be ideal for us.

Not sure they would sell him but yeah he's a good player.

We should stop wasting time with this one, surely the money we had bid could get Redmond from Norwich who would be ideal for us.

Yeah doubt they would want to sell, but 10-12 million may persuade them.

Don't think you know what you're going to get with Townsend though, he's erratic and he's barely played. If we were going for English players who were performing regularly and well then that would be different.

Colback is shite but plays every game.

Cases in point. Gini, Sissoko, Janmaat, Perez Mitro et al seem to do OK because they're firstly good players and secondly they were given a chance to actually play.

Thauvin and Cabella might never have made it but the idea that Andros Townsend - who has scored 3 league goals unless I'm very much mistaken at age 24 - is the answer is beyond ludicrous.

We have an old school English manager, as we did with Pardew, who is trying to blame the horrendous first half of this season on a lack of a core of English players it would seem.

Well were that true go and sign Shawcross for £25m then, I might think there was some substance to it then because it would show a commitment to the idea not just convenient signings who have fallen out with their clubs.

Colback is s**** but plays every game.

Cases in point. Gini, Sissoko, Janmaat, Perez Mitro et al seem to do OK because they're firstly good players and secondly they were given a chance to actually play.

Thauvin and Cabella might never have made it but the idea that Andros Townsend - who has scored 3 league goals unless I'm very much mistaken at age 24 - is the answer is beyond ludicrous.

We have an old school English manager, as we did with Pardew, who is trying to blame the horrendous first half of this season on a lack of a core of English players it would seem.

Well were that true go and sign Shawcross for £25m then, I might think there was some substance to it then because it would show a commitment to the idea not just convenient signings who have fallen out with their clubs.

hmm, i agree to an extent, but convenient signings who have fallen out with their clubs are all we can attract while we sit in the bottom three.

shawcross would be absolutely barmy to swap stoke for us atm.

hmm, i agree to an extent, but convenient signings who have fallen out with their clubs are all we can attract while we sit in the bottom three.

Of course he would aye, but that's for him to decide. Put the money on the table for someone at the top of their game with no attitude problems or history of disruption.

Of course they won't do that.

The inglish thing is both partially true and a myth imo; when you sign shit foreigners it doesn't mean you need an inglish core to succeed, it means you need a quality core.

Why? They are in a relegation struggle, going down would cost them a lot more than £10-12m.

Of course he would aye, but that's for him to decide. Put the money on the table for someone at the top of their game with no attitude problems or history of disruption.

The inglish thing is both partially true and a myth imo; when you sign s*** foreigners it doesn't mean you need an inglish core to succeed, it means you need a quality core.

yep, agreed.

Why? They are in a relegation struggle, going down would cost them a lot more than £10-12m.

Think he only has 18 months left on his contract. Press were reporting his price tag was 15 million a couple of weeks back so we are not to far away from the type of money that we want Townsend for.

The inglish thing is both partially true and a myth imo; when you sign shit foreigners it doesn't mean you need an inglish core to succeed, it means you need a quality core.

:thup:  Bang on the money.

It's the quality that counts, not the nationality or 'premier league experieeeeeennnnnnceeee marra'.  Sissoko, Perez, Wijnaldum, Mbemba, not a jot of English blood or premier league experience between the lot of them.  Colback, Dummett, Williamson and Fistpumps on the other hand....

On the other side you have that experienced premier league star Gabby Obertan who has been lighting up this league since time immemorial and Jonjo Shelvey who is actually good.  It's not Shelveys experience or nationality that makes him the better player, it's his quality.

Buy quality English and on the whole you'll do well.  Buy quality forrins and on the whole you'll do well.  Buy shit of either and you'll be shit.

Townsend is a right winger, maybe he can play on the left and whip balls in but I don't think it a sure thing, or even likely. I'd much prefer Perez/Berahinho as the left side of a front 3 too if we ever play that, it's only really in a flat 4-4-2 they maybe don't fit.

We do suffer from having too many attacking players without properly defined positions like, but I don't know if Townsend fixes that. A proper left back and a pacy striker and along with our 4-5-1 we could probably play a 4-4-2 diamond pretty effectively, with a lot of wiggle room too for rotation, injuries and suspensions.

Guest thenorthumbrian

£10 million is a standard fee for middling players these days, if Townsend is signed then it is an admission of failure with regards to Thauvin.