Andros Townsend

lovejoy
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rashford is the one I can't get my head around. If anything sums up what's wrong with England, it's been the clamour in the media and among most pundits for Rashford to be rushed into the squad on the back of a single - admittedly decent - England appearance. He's a prodigious talent but his inclusion in the final 23 is ridiculous IMO.

Obviously gutted for Andros but feel a bit bad for Drinkwater as well, who has surely done more than Barkley and Henderson over the course of the season and in the warm-up games.

I much prefer the Rashford pick over an injured Sturridge. He's the 3rd choice striker at best and has a knock. He's expendable. EXPEND HIM.

Bad craic that, thought he did well in the short amount of time he was given last week and he's in better form than any of the other wide options.

Yup. Sterling doesn't deserve to be there whatsoever.

Rashford is the one I can't get my head around. If anything sums up what's wrong with England, it's been the clamour in the media and among most pundits for Rashford to be rushed into the squad on the back of a single - admittedly decent - England appearance. He's a prodigious talent but his inclusion in the final 23 is ridiculous IMO.

Obviously gutted for Andros but feel a bit bad for Drinkwater as well, who has surely done more than Barkley and Henderson over the course of the season and in the warm-up games.

I thought Rashford looked a bit lightweight against the Aussies and was trying too hard at times and losing the ball despite the early goal pretty much guaranteeing him a place on the plane.

Feel sorry for Townsend as he got little or no chance to prove himself (Drinkwater played in both games and looked lost in both of them) and did quite well when he came on.

Sturridge is injury prone and out of form and will be lucky to play at all.

Are they now on standby in case someone gets injured or do replacements now just have to come from within the squad?

The Ross Barkley selection is the most debatable, Townsends been very unlucky.

Roy obviously tries to show players loyalty so they'll repay him, surely picking the players highest in confidence & form is a better idea?

I thought Rashford looked a bit lightweight against the Aussies and was trying too hard at times and losing the ball despite the early goal pretty much guaranteeing him a place on the plane.

Feel sorry for Townsend as he got little or no chance to prove himself (Drinkwater played in both games and looked lost in both of them) and did quite well when he came on.

Sturridge is injury prone and out of form and will be lucky to play at all.

Are they now on standby in case someone gets injured or do replacements now just have to come from within the squad?

This is exactly my point. It was widely reported that Rashford was included provisionally to get some introductory experience in the friendlies and would then be cut; 1 goal in a friendly against poor opposition and suddenly he's a banker. It's pathetic.

If Sturridge's injury isn't serious then he has to go IMO. Still England's best striker when fit (admittedly a big if).

Feel for Townsend, I thought he would go given he is a different winger to what they have and seemed to be in favour of Hodgson, however, from a Newcastle point of view (as long as he stays) then injury and there is not going to be a problem.

Nah he'll be ok. Edit: about milner

We had Milner here long enough to know what he's about. A very steady and reliable performer who doesn't show up in big games. Sterling has been shite this season for a team that should make it easy for him to look good. I know I'm biased but if I was going to pick one out of those two and Townsend to actually do something special in an international  tournament it would be Townsend every time.

... you'd play Sturridge ahead of Kane and Vardy then.............?

If Sturridge was bang in form and fully fit, I'd start him with Kane. He's a better player than Vardy. As he's not fit, hasn't played in the recent friendlies and has had a mixed season on the whole, Vardy starts. He can still be a big asset off the bench though IMO, even if not 100% fit.

Nah he'll be ok. Edit: about milner

We had Milner here long enough to know what he's about. A very steady and reliable performer who doesn't show up in big games. Sterling has been s**** this season for a team that should make it easy for him to look good. I know I'm biased but if I was going to pick one out of those two and Townsend to actually do something special in an international  tournament it would be Townsend every time.

Best case situation is Milner defends his wing, is sturdy & puts in a couple crosses that lead to goals. You'd think Townsends potential as someone who can affect a game independantly is much higher but yeah its not suprising is it.

If Sturridge was bang in form and fully fit, I'd start him with Kane. He's a better player than Vardy. As he's not fit, hasn't played in the recent friendlies and has had a mixed season on the whole, Vardy starts. He can still be a big asset off the bench though IMO, even if not 100% fit.

Im gonna keep beating this drum. He's not a more dangerous player than Vardy. He has better technique, probably a better selection of shots & is more skillful yes. Defenders would fear playing Vardy more.

I like Sturridge, but as you say, he's out of form, and semi injured. You say that england are making the same mistakes again by picking a player just because he's at a big team, but I would make the point that they're making the same mistake again by picking a half-injured player who is out of form, purely because of his reputation.

I want form/confidence/health in my squad, and therefore Rashford is the preferable option. Although I would've been fine with bringing neither tbh.