sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Seen the Brexit forecasts - I’m now Hearing that Renault/Nissan want out. They’re going to be f***ed in every way possible.

Not just the mackems there though is it? Could be the whole of the North East. :(

It would affect the north east massively. It isn’t just Nissan, it is all the suppliers in the region which they rely on. I would be very surprised if they moved elsewhere though, considering the amount of investment they have put into the new Battery plant etc.

Either way I am glad I got away from the automotive sector, just in case.

Seen the Brexit forecasts - I’m now Hearing that Renault/Nissan want out. They’re going to be f***ed in every way possible.

Not just the mackems there though is it? Could be the whole of the North East. :(

It would affect the north east massively. It isn’t just Nissan, it is all the suppliers in the region which they rely on. I would be very surprised if they moved elsewhere though, considering the amount of investment they have put into the new Battery plant etc.

Either way I am glad I got away from the automotive sector, just in case.

We've sold the battery plant.  :lol:

Theres another meeting today with the pm with other Japanese firms, that's all. People making shit up as usual, no one knows how brexit will play out and no one knows what will happen to any business after.

Seen the Brexit forecasts - I’m now Hearing that Renault/Nissan want out. They’re going to be fucked in every way possible.

Since the Brexit vote happened they have been eyeing up a site in Ireland. They managed to make a deal with our government to pay a reduction in corporate taxes, as well as getting a subsidiary to make a certain model of car. Those deals will last for about 5 years, if they don't get similar deals for future generations of cars then they will be off. It is suspected that they are half way down the process of tying up a deal with the Irish government to move their Sunderland plant to Ireland.

If Nissan leave the North East then due to the amount of direct and indirect skilled labour jobs they have here, and the sudden end of operations it will bring, then I'd say it would be more devastating for the region then when the coal mines were closed.

Guest Howaythetoon

Surely relocating would be mega expensive? I think it’s all politics to get better tax cuts and subsidising. The NE cannot afford to lose Nissan. My nephew has just got an apprenticeship there and loves it.

You cant just up sticks and move the most productive car plant in Europe to another location it would impact on them massive, potentially damaging production levels. 

I play hockey with lads who work at Nissan and they insist that they are going nowhere.  :dontknow:

Guest Howaythetoon

It just sounds counter productive. Li,e you say is a successful plant and a move would jepodise that. Also I imagine the number of Nissan car sales in England would go down massively if they were to move. It seems the brand is one of the most popular in the NE. We even have one and would happily have another Nissan, great cars.

It just sounds counter productive. Li,e you say is a successful plant and a move would jepodise that. Also I imagine the number of Nissan car sales in England would go down massively if they were to move. It seems the brand is one of the most popular in the NE. We even have one and would happily have another Nissan, great cars.

Form what the lads tell me there is constant investment in the location and site.  Id image this Ireland location would be a loop hole they could potentially use to get around any possible tariffs if we don't get an agreement with the EU.

They would be mental to completely relocate that factory, it would be suicide for a decade or more until all the new workers are at the same level of skills and experience as the current workers, let alone setting up the production lines from scratch and making sure all the robots and machinery are operating at 100%.

The best way for the car companies to continue as is, is for the UK and EU to come to an agreement on trade and movement of goods.

Form what the lads tell me there is constant investment in the location and site.  Id image this Ireland location would be a loop hole they could potentially use to get around any possible tariffs if we don't get an agreement with the EU.

They would be mental to completely relocate that factory, it would be suicide for a decade or more until all the new workers are at the same level of skills and experience as the current workers, let alone setting up the production lines from scratch and making sure all the robots and machinery are operating at 100%.

The best way for the car companies to continue as is, is for the UK and EU to come to an agreement on trade and movement of goods.

1st step would be downsize. Easily done, lots of contractors, then core staff producing cars just for UK. What may end up happening is all Nissan cars for UK built here... Would take some planning but the factory would be as busy as ever and no export tariffs.

Reckon the government would stump up grants to make that happen.

1st step would be downsize. Easily done, lots of contractors, then core staff producing cars just for UK. What may end up happening is all Nissan cars for UK built here... Would take some planning but the factory would be as busy as ever and no export tariffs.

Reckon the government would stump up grants to make that happen.

I suppose there is only one way to find out and that's wait and see how things pan out. 

Guest Howaythetoon

No profitability man :lol: I’d love to see the powers that be call their bluff. Fine take away one of the world’s most successful plants in a country where you sell shit tonnes of cars a year and also commercial vehicles privately and commercially. See how you fare...

He's not saying anything controversial or from insider information lol, businesses operate where it is profitable, if they lose money staying there they will go, it's just how it works  :lol: (the debate can only be if post brexit it will be profitable, not if they'll stay out of loyalty to brexit or something).

No profitability man :lol: I’d love to see the powers that be call their bluff. Fine take away one of the world’s most successful plants in a country where you sell shit tonnes of cars a year and also commercial vehicles privately and commercially. See how you fare...

They’d have zero issues. Zero. Maybe they’ll sell 1k less cars in the NE over two years or something. Maybe.

If the season ended now, they'd be as close in the league ladder to Gateshead and possibly Spennymoor than to Newcastle.

:D

I can't believe any NUFC fan has even the smallest amount of sympathy for this lot after how they went on about our two relegations, six in a row, lauding the padeo even after he was convicted etc!

Fuck them - I hope they rot!

You seem to have made the assumption that Nissan operates in Sunderland and nowhere else. They have a huge presence in Barcelona, where the majority of their vans are currently made. The infrastructure is already there, so I'd imagine it's not beyond the wit of one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world to transfer production from one site to another realtively quickly and with little impact on their production process.

If it becomes financially unviable to ship parts to the UK from suppliers elsewhere in Europe, and if it becomes increasingly difficult to remain competitive across Europe then what incentive is there to remain? You can whack another couple of grand onto the cost of making a Qashqai in Sunderland based on the governments own figures, and that's before you even consider tarrifs.

The thing that really vexes me is that this corner of the country has a long, long history of reliance on industry that sharp fucks off the minute the economics of a particular situation changes. You'd think we'd be wise to that now. Not sticking our fingers in our ears and hoping it won't happen yet again.

If the season ended now, they'd be as close in the league ladder to Gateshead and possibly Spennymoor than to Newcastle.

:D

I can't believe any NUFC fan has even the smallest amount of sympathy for this lot after how they went on about our two relegations, six in a row, lauding the padeo even after he was convicted etc!

f*** them - I hope they rot!

There is that side to me but there is also the side to me that thinks they are a local football club and as much as we have a tit for tat rivalry with them I don't think I want them to go under.