sunder↓and

Greg
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If the 25k of their regular fans start going to watch Hartlepool, Gateshead, South Shields, etc we might have more North East clubs hovering around League 1 & 2.

This. There's around 17 or 18,000 still turn up to watch Sunderland by all accounts. If they went tits up end even half of those fans followed other teams in the area, NE football in general would be far stronger because lots of teams further down the ladder in our area get pitiful support (South Shields the exception). 300 odd at Gateshead the other night is terrible for a club at their level.

Guest Howaythetoon

If the 25k of their regular fans start going to watch Hartlepool, Gateshead, South Shields, etc we might have more North East clubs hovering around League 1 & 2.

This. There's around 17 or 18,000 still turn up to watch Sunderland by all accounts. If they went tits up end even half of those fans followed other teams in the area, NE football in general would be far stronger because lots of teams further down the ladder in our area get pitiful support (South Shields the exception). 300 odd at Gateshead the other night is terrible for a club at their level.

Ticket prices need to come down and going to Gateshead to watch them isn’t exactly a welcoming environment, shit stadium, shit atmosphere etc. They need a new ground badly.

I do wonder how many of them wouid convert to us.

None. No way would I consider supporting them no matter how bad Newcastle get and they will be the same. Shields is getting plenty of Sunderland supporters though.

It just sounds counter productive. Li,e you say is a successful plant and a move would jepodise that. Also I imagine the number of Nissan car sales in England would go down massively if they were to move. It seems the brand is one of the most popular in the NE. We even have one and would happily have another Nissan, great cars.

Form what the lads tell me there is constant investment in the location and site.  Id image this Ireland location would be a loop hole they could potentially use to get around any possible tariffs if we don't get an agreement with the EU.

They would be mental to completely relocate that factory, it would be suicide for a decade or more until all the new workers are at the same level of skills and experience as the current workers, let alone setting up the production lines from scratch and making sure all the robots and machinery are operating at 100%.

The best way for the car companies to continue as is, is for the UK and EU to come to an agreement on trade and movement of goods.

You seem to have made the assumption that Nissan operates in Sunderland and nowhere else. They have a huge presence in Barcelona, where the majority of their vans are currently made. The infrastructure is already there, so I'd imagine it's not beyond the wit of one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world to transfer production from one site to another realtively quickly and with little impact on their production process.

If it becomes financially unviable to ship parts to the UK from suppliers elsewhere in Europe, and if it becomes increasingly difficult to remain competitive across Europe then what incentive is there to remain? You can whack another couple of grand onto the cost of making a Qashqai in Sunderland based on the governments own figures, and that's before you even consider tarrifs.

The thing that really vexes me is that this corner of the country has a long, long history of reliance on industry that sharp fucks off the minute the economics of a particular situation changes. You'd think we'd be wise to that now. Not sticking our fingers in our ears and hoping it won't happen yet again.

Wrong. Spain couldn't hang the volume, I've been there and it's nowhere near the size of this place. Nmuk make more cars in Europe that all the other sites combined.

The option would be Renault making Nissan cars in Europe. Thry are more equipped short-medium term.

Ticket prices need to come down and going to Gateshead to watch them isn’t exactly a welcoming environment, s*** stadium, s*** atmosphere etc. They need a new ground badly.

What happened to the plans to move to the site across from Gateshead Council?

Ticket prices need to come down and going to Gateshead to watch them isn’t exactly a welcoming environment, shit stadium, shit atmosphere etc. They need a new ground badly.

The Gateshead Stadium has to be the coldest place in the North East.  My son was a ball boy there on Tuesday night so I got a free ticket to watch the match, I know it was a cold night but, I have been there in the summer and felt cold in that stand.  On the other side of the pitch, where the away supporters go is bathed in sunshine (in the summer).  I have sat with a coat on shivering while Torquay fans were shirtless on the other side of the field.... 

The other point about the shitness of the stadium, couldn't agree more, the facilities are awful...  no surprise that they don't get good crowds and even if they did it would be chaos and worse!

It just sounds counter productive. Li,e you say is a successful plant and a move would jepodise that. Also I imagine the number of Nissan car sales in England would go down massively if they were to move. It seems the brand is one of the most popular in the NE. We even have one and would happily have another Nissan, great cars.

Form what the lads tell me there is constant investment in the location and site.  Id image this Ireland location would be a loop hole they could potentially use to get around any possible tariffs if we don't get an agreement with the EU.

They would be mental to completely relocate that factory, it would be suicide for a decade or more until all the new workers are at the same level of skills and experience as the current workers, let alone setting up the production lines from scratch and making sure all the robots and machinery are operating at 100%.

The best way for the car companies to continue as is, is for the UK and EU to come to an agreement on trade and movement of goods.

You seem to have made the assumption that Nissan operates in Sunderland and nowhere else. They have a huge presence in Barcelona, where the majority of their vans are currently made. The infrastructure is already there, so I'd imagine it's not beyond the wit of one of the biggest car manufacturers in the world to transfer production from one site to another realtively quickly and with little impact on their production process.

If it becomes financially unviable to ship parts to the UK from suppliers elsewhere in Europe, and if it becomes increasingly difficult to remain competitive across Europe then what incentive is there to remain? You can whack another couple of grand onto the cost of making a Qashqai in Sunderland based on the governments own figures, and that's before you even consider tarrifs.

The thing that really vexes me is that this corner of the country has a long, long history of reliance on industry that sharp f***s off the minute the economics of a particular situation changes. You'd think we'd be wise to that now. Not sticking our fingers in our ears and hoping it won't happen yet again.

No, Nissan has the most efficient and productive car plant in Europe located in Sunderland, it would be difficult to suddenly switch all that production from one plant to another and even more difficult to create a new factory from scratch.

Even if you switch the production to another existing plant, Nissan cars or a Renault factory producing Nissan cars there's decades worth of manufacturing experience that would be lost and would take years to catch up on.  If you switch it to an existing plant then you'll still have to create all the production lines from scratch as I would assume they would not want the current lines affected which would impact their production levels at that current plant and impact car sales.

The Gateshead Stadium has to be the coldest place in the North East.  My son was a ball boy there on Tuesday night so I got a free ticket to watch the match, I know it was a cold night but, I have been there in the summer and felt cold in that stand.  On the other side of the pitch, where the away supporters go is bathed in sunshine (in the summer).  I have sat with a coat on shivering while Torquay fans were shirtless on the other side of the field.... 

The other point about the shitness of the stadium, couldn't agree more, the facilities are awful...  no surprise that they don't get good crowds and even if they did it would be chaos and worse!

Ahhh, the wonder of cross country runs over Tit Hill on a ‘fresh’ East Gateshead day. Happy (masochistic) memories.  :aww:

The thing that really vexes me is that this corner of the country has a long, long history of reliance on industry that sharp f***s off the minute the economics of a particular situation changes. You'd think we'd be wise to that now. Not sticking our fingers in our ears and hoping it won't happen yet again.

No, Nissan has the most efficient and productive car plant in Europe located in Sunderland, it would be difficult to suddenly switch all that production from one plant to another and even more difficult to create a new factory from scratch.

Even if you switch the production to another existing plant, Nissan cars or a Renault factory producing Nissan cars there's decades worth of manufacturing experience that would be lost and would take years to catch up on.  If you switch it to an existing plant then you'll still have to create all the production lines from scratch as I would assume they would not want the current lines affected which would impact their production levels at that current plant and impact car sales.

We've seen heavy industry leave these shores and bugger off to all parts with little regard for the apparent experience or expertise of those left behind when the economics change. Why is Nissan apparently immune to these same market forces?

Access to Europe was the carrot waved in 1982 to get Nissan to set up shop in Sunderland in the first place. Over the last 30 years they have repeatedly said that not having that access could impact on the long term viability of the Sunderland plant and understandably so. They have suppliers all over Europe that send parts to Sunderland, and the majority of the vehicles built there are then shipped back to the EU. Whack tariffs on importing and exporting goods between the EU and UK, and there will be tariffs if we leave the SM/CU, then the Sunderland plant isn't so efficient. There's some poor bastard in Yokohama with a massive spreadsheet, furiously trying to work all this out and decide whether over the next 30 years it'll work out cheaper to pitch their tent somewhere else within the EU or continue as things are.

Maybe I'm less sanguine about this because I live a literal stones throw from Nissan, plenty of my mates work there or for suppliers and the impact of the plant shutting down or even scaling down operations would be fucking disasterous. At the best of times walking around Washington is like a George A. Romero film, it would be end of days stuff if one of the biggest employers naffed off.

Maybe I'm less sanguine about this because I live a literal stones throw from Nissan, plenty of my mates work there or for suppliers and the impact of the plant shutting down or even scaling down operations would be f***ing disasterous. At the best of times walking around Washington is like a George A. Romero film, it would be end of days stuff if one of the biggest employers naffed off.

I have to say the schadenfreude in the possibility of Nissan f*cking off makes me very uncomfortable. It's one thing to have a big old laugh at how absolutely in the deep sh*te SAFC find themselves in the league, their financial cliff-edge, the pink seats, the brain-dead 'mag-obsessed' cretins on RTG, Jack Rodwell etc etc. But the loss of the region's (not just Sunderland's) biggest manufacturing base, along with the supply chain and all the jobs that could go, the devastation that would cause to so many households....well I'm not on board with that at all. I might be a po-faced Trotskyite when it comes to this sort of thing but the employees deserve financial stability, whatever their colours.

Even if they voted for Brexit, as Sunderland proudly did, well, its hard not to give a whopping 'told-you-so'...but no-one voted for this.

Ticket prices need to come down and going to Gateshead to watch them isn’t exactly a welcoming environment, s*** stadium, s*** atmosphere etc. They need a new ground badly.

They let Newcastle (and Sunderland I think) season ticket holders in for a tenner and I think their standard ticket prices for adults is around £15 which is on the cheaper side of average for that league but watching a match at an athletics stadium doesn't appeal to me or most others by the looks of it. I'd rather watch a Northern League game and stand pitchside.

We've seen heavy industry leave these shores and bugger off to all parts with little regard for the apparent experience or expertise of those left behind when the economics change. Why is Nissan apparently immune to these same market forces?

Access to Europe was the carrot waved in 1982 to get Nissan to set up shop in Sunderland in the first place. Over the last 30 years they have repeatedly said that not having that access could impact on the long term viability of the Sunderland plant and understandably so. They have suppliers all over Europe that send parts to Sunderland, and the majority of the vehicles built there are then shipped back to the EU. Whack tariffs on importing and exporting goods between the EU and UK, and there will be tariffs if we leave the SM/CU, then the Sunderland plant isn't so efficient. There's some poor b****** in Yokohama with a massive spreadsheet, furiously trying to work all this out and decide whether over the next 30 years it'll work out cheaper to pitch their tent somewhere else within the EU or continue as things are.

Maybe I'm less sanguine about this because I live a literal stones throw from Nissan, plenty of my mates work there or for suppliers and the impact of the plant shutting down or even scaling down operations would be f***ing disasterous. At the best of times walking around Washington is like a George A. Romero film, it would be end of days stuff if one of the biggest employers naffed off.

Not forgetting all the government subsidies they have had here over the years to invest in that plant.  Ill say they aren't going to move lock stock and barrel from that plant.

Access to Europe was the carrot waved in 1982 to get Nissan to set up shop in Sunderland in the first place. Over the last 30 years they have repeatedly said that not having that access could impact on the long term viability of the Sunderland plant and understandably so. They have suppliers all over Europe that send parts to Sunderland, and the majority of the vehicles built there are then shipped back to the EU. Whack tariffs on importing and exporting goods between the EU and UK, and there will be tariffs if we leave the SM/CU, then the Sunderland plant isn't so efficient. There's some poor b****** in Yokohama with a massive spreadsheet, furiously trying to work all this out and decide whether over the next 30 years it'll work out cheaper to pitch their tent somewhere else within the EU or continue as things are.

Not forgetting all the government subsidies they have had here over the years to invest in that plant.  Ill say they aren't going to move lock stock and barrel from that plant.

Means bugger all if the sums no longer add up in the next 5, 10, 15 years. I imagine they will probably be able to eek out some further Government support if things go badly over the next 12 months. From a lot of the coverage you can already see Nissan in Sunderland is the bellwether by which people will gauge the ability of post-Brexit Britain to retain and attract external investment. That said, there's going to be a long queue to the door of No. 10 if they start dishing out handouts.

Means bugger all if the sums no longer add up in the next 5, 10, 15 years. I imagine they will probably be able to eek out some further Government support if things go badly over the next 12 months. From a lot of the coverage you can already see Nissan in Sunderland is the bellwether by which people will gauge the ability of post-Brexit Britain to retain and attract external investment. That said, there's going to be a long queue to the door of No. 10 if they start dishing out handouts.

Handouts aren't a new thing. Nmuk was given millions by Cameron for winning the new qq.

Gateshead is always going to be a tough sell. Despite some of it's residents saying it's not, it's pretty much just an urban town of Newcastle, similar to Byker. So the vast majority of football fans are going to and do support us. Not far down the road Sunderland is another option further up the footballing ladder for them to support. There is always going to be some fans who will go to watch lower league teams, however around here thats not going to be many and they are always going to have supporter base somewhere between the levels of Whitley Bay and Blyth. You can even say Blyth's supporter level is hampered by it's proximity to Newcastle.

Undoubtedly the North East is a football fan hotbed, it is pretty much the only mainstream sport, others don't get a look nearly as much as they do elsewhere in the UK. However the supporter base is pretty much split between us and Sunderland. Other local teams for the most part are 2nd teams, or in recent years, clubs supported in protest.

I have to say the schadenfreude in the possibility of Nissan f*cking off makes me very uncomfortable. It's one thing to have a big old laugh at how absolutely in the deep sh*te SAFC find themselves in the league, their financial cliff-edge, the pink seats, the brain-dead 'mag-obsessed' cretins on RTG, Jack Rodwell etc etc. But the loss of the region's (not just Sunderland's) biggest manufacturing base, along with the supply chain and all the jobs that could go, the devastation that would cause to so many households....well I'm not on board with that at all. I might be a po-faced Trotskyite when it comes to this sort of thing but the employees deserve financial stability, whatever their colours.

Even if they voted for Brexit, as Sunderland proudly did, well, its hard not to give a whopping 'told-you-so'...but no-one voted for this.

:thup:

Guest neesy111

Nissan have been getting handouts from the government ever since they came to the UK.