Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Didn't see the game today cus I was working ? And I'm not gonna watch that monstrosity of a highlight show on channel 5 because it's absolute balls....2 defeats in 2 games is  dreadful... What I will say is I gave every faith in Rafa ! He is a genius and I can tell you now we will go up and go up as champions ! The 2nd game of the season last year I said that we where going down on here and got laughed at ! So trust my judgement we will be grand ! And any one even doubting Rafa needs to sort their fucking life's out

still trust rafa but feel he needs to go back to the drawing board and think again about tactics and recruitment. both been lacking. remember its fulham and huddersfield we lost to - relegation strugglers from last year.

He'll get it right, just hope it's sooner rather than later, before daylight starts appearing between us and the top. Definitely needs to get some premiership quality in the team. As much as I hate the bloke for what he's been doing I think Sissoko, if he stays, can make a huge difference in this league. Mitro can't come back quick enough either.

If you don't have faith in him you're obviously a massive sausage, however you have a right to be concerned. Not one positive to draw from these 2 games. Thankfully a long way to go.

think the only positives to be drawn from these games are the negatives - he's realised colback is shit, and hopefully that we need quality reinforcements at LB CM and CF.

Too many clouded by who Rafa is rather than what he is serving up. What he has achieved in the past has no bearing what he isn't achieving today. He's recruited poorly by still not addressing the areas of the team that still need attention - LB, Winger, Centre Fwd and judging by today we need a creative midfielder too. Finally he's setting the team up far too negatively..... If this was Pardew he would be ran out of town, yet it's okay for Rafa to do it.

Are you being serious with the Benitez/Pardew comparison son?

Too many clouded by who Rafa is rather than what he is serving up. What he has achieved in the past has no bearing what he isn't achieving today. He's recruited poorly by still not addressing the areas of the team that still need attention - LB, Winger, Centre Fwd and judging by today we need a creative midfielder too. Finally he's setting the team up far too negatively..... If this was Pardew he would be ran out of town, yet it's okay for Rafa to do it.

Yes I am. In fact the turgid stuff served up in the 1st 2 games has been a lot more negative than Pardew. At least Pardew didn't play Anita RW for a full game. For that alone Rafa should fuck off back to Liverpool.

Yes I am. In fact the turgid stuff served up in the 1st 2 games has been a lot more negative than Pardew. At least Pardew didn't play Anita RW for a full game. For that alone Rafa should fuck off back to Liverpool.

There is an institute people like you can go to you know.

Trying to be completely objective about it: we've had a team that've gone from expecting to lose every week to now being expected to win each week and also playing a style that we've failed miserably at over the last decade. Add lots of new players into the mix and there will be a transition. I'd argue preseason was too easy and might've exacerbated an attitude some had that we would walk the league. Rafa should probably be looking to implement things a little bit slower than he has, in all honesty, but it's going to take some time either way.

He's made it hard on himself with his selections but he's dealing with some key enigmatic players. Perez has been poor, Aarons doesn't seem settled, Gayle seems to be adjusting to a new role etc. Frankly, we need players in ASAP. A quality winger and striker are musts. We can carry an unproductive set of central midfielders but the flanks and other attacking central positions must be addressed. Ritchie is quality and is a good PL player, we need another winger of his ilk (preferably two) but with a more direct style.

I don't think it's really a formational issue, if Rafa can implement his style having a 10 is better than 2 strikers, IMO. He pretty much played Perez as a striker alongside Gayle last week and we still looked garbage and struggled to stretch a deep defence. There are selection and balance problems, certainly, but quality is the biggest of them all.

Big week for us. A win and 2 new players through the door can transform the situation. I can certainly see why he's making comments about players needing to relax, just need to get a win or two under the belt, even if they're scrappy, to get it going. What he said about 'unusual' movements was interesting, reminded me of the time a journo said he was perplexed as to why players were doing things completely against instruction when we played Leicester. Suggests panic within the players.

Trying to be completely objective about it: we've had a team that've gone from expecting to lose every week to now being expected to win each week and also playing a style that we've failed miserably at over the last decade. Add lots of new players into the mix and there will be a transition. I'd argue preseason was too easy and might've exacerbated an attitude some had that we would walk the league. Rafa should probably be looking to implement things a little bit slower than he has, in all honesty, but it's going to take some time either way.

He's made it hard on himself with his selections but he's dealing with some key enigmatic players. Perez has been poor, Aarons doesn't seem settled, Gayle seems to be adjusting to a new role etc. Frankly, we need players in ASAP. A quality winger and striker are musts. We can carry an unproductive set of central midfielders but the flanks and other attacking central positions must be addressed. Ritchie is quality and is a good PL player, we need another winger of his ilk (preferably two) but with a more direct style.

I don't think it's really a formational issue, if Rafa can implement his style having a 10 is better than 2 strikers, IMO. He pretty much played Perez as a striker alongside Gayle last week and we still looked garbage and struggled to stretch a deep defence. There are selection and balance problems, certainly, but quality is the biggest of them all.

Big week for us. A win and 2 new players through the door can transform the situation. I can certainly see why he's making comments about players needing to relax, just need to get a win or two under the belt, even if they're scrappy, to get it going. What he said about 'unusual' movements was interesting, reminded me of the time a journo said he was perplexed as to why players were doing things completely against instruction when we played Leicester. Suggests panic within the players.

Good post.

He needs to break down Charnley's door and tell him to sort it out with a winger, forward and left back and not to wait to the deadline. He also has got to stop these negative tactics which have seen us being beaten by two teams who nearly got relegated last season. And finally he has got to stop playing Anita and Dummett.

There is an institute people like you can go to you know.

Cambridge?

Rafa has always been a fairly cautious coach who thinks there's no point attacking till the defence is sorted. I think basically the defence isn't holding up as well as they hoped and suddenly that's throwing the whole plan. Our midfield was unable to impose themselves in the premier league and I guess the hope was they could at this level, they can't and we need a new one (Hayden shouldn't need to settle since he's played this level, but he seems defensive minded and then reliant on Shelvey). Shelvey is not the answer, he is way too unreliable and he can look good but sorry he's spent years in premier league teams always able to turn in a motm performance and then 10 anonymous ones, he's not likely to change now.

We really should have bought McCormack, guaranteed goals at this level and that's invaluable. I'm not massively worried yet, Rafa will get the backline organised and that'll get us plenty of points, BUT we need goals and we need creativity so badly. I do think anyone expecting Rafa to get us playing mad attacking footy are deluding ourselves, if he gets us working it'll be 1-0s and 2-0s all the way.

i disagree. Last week 2 definte defensive CM's with another in the team. Today 2 players sitting with a hardly attacking Anita  with them. Took him till hallf time at home to Huddersfield and a goal down to tell Shelvey to push on and even then he took off width to do it.

I love that Rafa has made us a football club again but he's given me no confidence in 12 games.

Rafa has always been a fairly cautious coach who thinks there's no point attacking till the defence is sorted. I think basically the defence isn't holding up as well as they hoped and suddenly that's throwing the whole plan. Our midfield was unable to impose themselves in the premier league and I guess the hope was they could at this level, they can't and we need a new one (Hayden shouldn't need to settle since he's played this level, but he seems defensive minded and then reliant on Shelvey). Shelvey is not the answer, he is way too unreliable and he can look good but sorry he's spent years in premier league teams always able to turn in a motm performance and then 10 anonymous ones, he's not likely to change now.

We really should have bought McCormack, guaranteed goals at this level and that's invaluable. I'm not massively worried yet, Rafa will get the backline organised and that'll get us plenty of points, BUT we need goals and we need creativity so badly. I do think anyone expecting Rafa to get us playing mad attacking footy are deluding ourselves, if he gets us working it'll be 1-0s and 2-0s all the way.

Rafa is cautious, yes, but his teams have generally always been high-scoring, IIRC. Think we just need the right quality and a bit of time to get it to work. The former being the really important bit.

Aarons was poor today and probably rightly taken off but it doesn't help him when Anita offers nowt on the other wing.

When Ritchie came on they put 3 or 4 players on him and Janmaat which often left Dummett on his own down the left. Really think we need to start with Aarons and Ritchie on either side so defenders can't just crowd one winger because they know Anita will do nothing

That was frustrating as fuck, I said it in the match thread as well. Aarons might have been having a poor match but he is a genuine winger and a goal threat. Not sure why when we are losing we would take off a forward.

i disagree. Last week 2 definte defensive CM's with another in the team. Today 2 players sitting with a hardly attacking Anita  with them. Took him till hallf time at home to Huddersfield and a goal down to tell Shelvey to push on and even then he took off width to do it.

I love that Rafa has made us a football club again but he's given me no confidence in 12 games.

No confidence in 12 games? We spent half of those on an unbeaten run, no? Perhaps he doesn't trust his defence yet and, judging by the evidence, rightly so. They also need drilling for the new style. Don't think today was 2 sitting midfielders, Shelvey has attacking quality in this league (see the last time he was in it, tore it to pieces), he's not some sitting duck that doesn't contribute going forward. Anita I agree with, I don't like that situation - we need balance and quality on the flanks.

No confidence in 12 games? We spent half of those on an unbeaten run, no? Perhaps he doesn't trust his defence yet and, judging by the evidence, rightly so. They also need drilling for the new style. Don't think today was 2 sitting midfielders, Shelvey has attacking quality in this league (see the last time he was in it, tore it to pieces), he's not some sitting duck that doesn't contribute going forward. Anita I agree with, I don't like that situation - we need balance and quality on the flanks.

Unbeaten run ? We beat Spurs afterwe'd been relegated and they'd exploded after losing the title. T