Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Been getting annoyed listening to Total Sport each night since the QPR match, discussing whether the team should stay unchanged after the result, or will Rafa change it?

I think we all know what Rafa's rotation policy is like, but the presenters/pundits don't seem to be able to understand, and almost seemed to be questioning why he does it??!!

Its precisely this squad rotation that is building the competition in the squad,  as each player will know that they have a chance of playing, even in a team on a winning run, whereas if he stuck with virtually the same 11 week in-week out (barring injuries), then you'd probably have players feeling pee'd off for not getting games.

I think its great that he keeps dropping players in and out, even the captain, as its helping keep players fresh for matches, and wanting to do well when they get in. Also by bringing 'fringe players' in, then everyone gets match time/fitness, so they aren't coming in cold after sitting on the sidelines for weeks.

Been getting annoyed listening to Total Sport each night since the QPR match, discussing whether the team should stay unchanged after the result, or will Rafa change it?

did you hear the bitter Mackem on the fans forum on weds night :lol:

did you hear the bitter Mackem on the fans forum on weds night :lol:

Aye, and I recognised his voice - I think he's the one who regularly calls in and has a bit rant at/with Gabbiadini.... surprised they let them meet face to face!  :lol:

Maybe we wont make that many changes for tomorrows game, and then change pretty much the whole team for the 2nd against the kittens.

Could be that Rafa gives the chance to one or two of the new players tomorrow and give them the chance to impress and then maybe play

against Villa away depending on how they do. All we can do is guess, it's difficult but also very new for us thing with depth :lol: :thup:

I'm actually fancying us for a cup run, this year :lol:

Great squad depth, a good enough side to be in the Prem (not a very good Prem team, obvs) and a class cup manager. We should have the legs for it.

Just love Rafa, man.

Don't want to say it too loud but I do too.

Guest Howaythetoon

I've always rated Rafa as far back as his Valencia days, I remember them playing Liverpool and Leeds off the park and was very impressed. I have often been critical of him, however, mostly when he was at Liverpool.

The 'facts' meltdown was cringe worthy and some of his signings were shocking, but in general he probably overachieved with Liverpool. That squad that won the CL was very average for example.

I'm not a huge fan of his football, its too mechanical for me, but is light years ahead of what we've seen under Pardew and McClaren.

He is a great bloke though and someone I trust 100% and I'm delighted he's our manager, I'm now back interested in the club and now wanting it to do well.

Although the disconnect has been so severe over the Ashley era I'm not sure I'll ever have that 100% total unadulterated love for the club. Not until Ashley goes.

I don't have the stats to back it up, but whenever I saw his Valencia side they always dominated possession and I remember once calling his style at times as nothing football. The ball was retained, but it didn't go very far.

As you get older and understand football more, however, you can see what nothing football is all about. Its about keeping the ball and drawing out the opposition to find pockets or holes and then to hit.

Rafa's side's can also do the opposite and sit and soak up pressure. He's a very rounded manager in terms of tactics and flexibility. IMO he is the best in the game tactically.

I used to be critical of his rotation policy, but it works. It helps prevent fatigue, injuries and keeps players on their toes. Its his rotation policy that shows just how great a manager he is because such disruption to a side from game to game can cause problems with cohesion, form, confidence etc. but every player under Rafa knows their position, how they are asked to play and tactically understand things to the point they can just come in and do a job.

I don't think many managers can do that! That's why the likes of Lascelles for example could develop into a top player if he keeps learning and gets what Rafa is instructing and wanting from him.

Rafa can also improve a player by changing their game, Torres, Gerrard, Jamie Carragher etc.

In short he's fucking boss!

Guest Howaythetoon

I didn't know either that he missed his father's funeral as he was managing Liverpool in the world club championship that's how focused and determined he is (and mad) and he used to be a PE teacher which now figures.

Our players are blessed, they must love coming into learn every day under him, I know I would. Just like KK and Sir Bobby when he speaks you listen and you listen intently and you never think he is bluffing you, bullshitting you or talking stupid like Pardew would or Souness.

I love how he gets the club and fans as well, that he sees in our club what we all see. Only he doesn't daydream about how good we can be, he is there trying to make it happen and if Ashley stays away and lets him do his job I can see us as a regular top 6 club winning trophies under Rafa as he's that good. Easily one of the best managers in the game.

I don't really care, but really can't help but feel that Townsend is such an absolute tool for leaving us under Rafa to go and play for fucking Pardew and Crystal Palace. I'm actually quite glad that he did, as it brought us Ritchie who I would say is about on par with him as a player, but you have to be incredibly thick to do something like that.

Guest Howaythetoon

I don't really care, but really can't help but feel that Townsend is such an absolute tool for leaving us under Rafa to go and play for f***ing Pardew and Crystal Palace. I'm actually quite glad that he did, as it brought us Ritchie who I would say is about on par with him as a player, but you have to be incredibly thick to do something like that.

Aye, I actually think he has ruined his career with that move. Under Rafa he would have developed into a top player I have no doubt, a very dangerous player who scores and creates goals and excites fans. I mind a time when he came on against Liverpool for Spurs a few years back and beat his full-back 3-4 times in the space of a few minutes, putting in dangerous crosses. He was a goal threat.

I never really felt attached to Townsend, barely gave him a second thought since we were confirmed relegated. Same with Sissoko really, always expected them to be gone. Yes on some levels it's a bad decision, but then again footballers would say their career is short and they have to squeeze the very most out of it.

Yep - and he wasn't exactly raging or anything. He was slightly more emotional and less calmer than he is, but it was hardly embarrassing conduct by him.

As you said, he was standing up to the likes of Fergie and the FA which shows what a strong personality he is.

Yep, lost every iota of respect for Townsend when he went to Palace. He could have really been a part of something here. He's not among the hateful category of other rotten eggs since gone, but I couldn't give a shite if his career derails playing for the twat.

Yep - and he wasn't exactly raging or anything. He was slightly more emotional and less calmer than he is, but it was hardly embarrassing conduct by him.

As you said, he was standing up to the likes of Fergie and the FA which shows what a strong personality he is.

:thup: some vein as Keegan having a go at Ferguson too imo, although in a much more calm delivery.

Regarding Townsend, absolutley spot on by few on here above, what a short-sighted poor decision for him, but give me a Matt Ritchie over Townsend any day of the week in terms of his commitment, leadership, and delivery of the ball.

Townsend and Ritchie would have been delightful. Constantly switching wings and causing absolute mayhem. Wouldn't have happened in any scenario, like, but ye no.

Am quite excited to see us spend in January mind. If we're in the top 2 and need someone to make absolutely sure - another Routledge-esque signing - that'd be pretty exciting. Knockaert mebs.

Love how years after the fact it's eulogised as one of the big Premier League moments in history, didn't think much of it at the time but I suppose Sky has to drum up interest somehow.

Guest firetotheworks

My best mate's girlfriend works at the Hilton and dry cleans his suit every week, among others. I've requested that a photo of me is put in his top left breast pocket, that way I'll always be close to his heart.