Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Guest firetotheworks

Think he'll accept some of the blame for today, especially for not changing things second half, but it really didn't sound like the players were at the races whatsoever today.

Seems as obvious as anything to me, not that stops people pushing their prepared arguments ahead of the obvious though.

Also stop shoehorning Perez onto the LW.  He's nowhere near a winger.

Up front with a partner or bench duty.

:thup:

And he 100% needs to set us up with two proper wingers at home.  We need to be forcing the issue, dominating possession and making the opponents alter to us.

Looks like others have already made similar points, but I was really hoping to see Gayle and Mitrovic given a good run today. Not least as I think we risk being a bit predicable formation wise (we've a long history of being predicable in terms of our own inconsistency). Rafa may be of the opinion that if the team follow his brief then even if the oppsition know how we are going to play, they still won't be able to live with us.  Lacking flexibility in formation, if nothing else, seems to give away an unnecessary advantage to opponents.

Guest Howaythetoon

I think the way we are set up away from home is ideal especially given Rafa's tactics etc. but at home it should be simple - attack attack attack (within reason). In short go after the opposition, press high, lots of crosses into the box and nice and quick and direct. There is no excuse for using 1 striker or two holding midfielders at home.

I'm wondering if Rafa has two types of playing, one for home and one for away, but the players are too entrenched in how we play away that they can't alternate to the home game plan or are struggling getting out of the away game game plan if you like. The reason I wonder is because I find the contrasts quite unfathomable really.

Rafa needs to get the attacking side right at home otherwise SJP will see many an away side getting points and that will have a huge effect on whether we can gain automatic promotion or not.

One other thing, we mustn't allow the likes of the 6-0 away to QPR victory get us carried away and likewise when we lose 2-0 at home to Wolves. Rafa's methods take time and we have almost two new sides basically.

This is going to a very very long and hard old season where nothing is guaranteed.

Post match comments.

Made Bad decisions from the start, then couldn't handle the pressure those bad decisions put us under. Made more mistakes trying to react to the pressure.

Wont just put the game behind us, we will analyse and find out why it went wrong.

Difference with Rafa and why this is shit but ultimately good is that unlike his fuckwit predecessors he has the capacity to learn and adapt and not just 'stick to his principles'. We'll see a reaction and by the sounds of things we already are. Iron fist in a velvet glove stuff hopefully.