Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

It looked exactly like an 11 that had never played together. The issue wasn't helped by playing the wingers the wrong way round and Mbemba at left back.

Ashley controlling team selections again.

I dunno, I can understand Mbemba on the left and Clark in the middle. And I thought they were decent, whereas Mbemba in the middle is always good for a rick, and Clark out wide diminishes his influence on the game.

I had trouble understanding Atsu or Ritchie getting 90 minutes ahead of Murphy. I can appreciate Hayden needed to come off, but was Diame really a better option than Saivet?

Would like to see us switch things up and get more pace out wide - 2 of Aarons / Murphy / Atsu. I'd rather see how Ritchie could do as a #10 or attacking midfielder given he has good eye for goal and technique. Joselu or Mitro up top to provide a focal point. When Shelvey returns its him and Merino for me centrally for now. Defensively, we really do need Yedlin back on the right hand side, and Pauly D left back. Crying out for a new GK too.

Yes. Saivet is totally unwanted.

Obviously "unwanted", but a better option at centre midfield when chasing the game at promoted Huddersfield? Less obvious...

He's probably not a better option then anyone. He was useless in France last season, no-one else seems to want him, Rafa doesn't seem to think he's a viable option. I can understand people wondering because we have hardly seen him play but theres no evidence to back it up. Rafa sees him daily so has a much better idea of his ability and attitude. People need to forget about him really.

Our team should still be beating Huddersfield's, like. We were toothless & bringing on Diame was questionable. We managed to lost 10 Championship games too, which was concerning.

We'd be in a really bad way without Rafa but I don't think his presence will automatically keep us up anymore, unlike before. The tactics are frustrating.

Would like to see us switch things up and get more pace out wide - 2 of Aarons / Murphy / Atsu. I'd rather see how Ritchie could do as a #10 or attacking midfielder given he has good eye for goal and technique. Joselu or Mitro up top to provide a focal point. When Shelvey returns its him and Merino for me centrally for now. Defensively, we really do need Yedlin back on the right hand side, and Pauly D left back. Crying out for a new GK too.

Rather see 3 at the back, two wing backs, Yedlin and the Chelsea loanee, 3 in midfield, Ritchie as #10 and Gayle or Joselu. Ritchie's energy to close down alongside Gayle much more preferable to Perez's prancing around.

We need our full squad, fit and available, to make this work though.

I think most of us want to see a different set up. It ain't happening guys. Yesterday we were losing and Rafa still didn't go two up top, it's how he is. We have to accept he's far more rigid than we all thought, too much imo but given the right backing he'll come good.

And the backing is where the problem lies. Better players will make the 4-2-3-1 look better, a proper 10 for instance, but Ashley isn't backing him so far in that goal.

He'll leave after an argument with mike in early Sept, colback will step in as player manager until christmas. At the bottom of the table, nigel pearson will then sign a 4 year deal in january with john carver as assistant manager and we'll be on our way back to the champo to reunite with the mackems for the next 5 years

He's brought in what, 16, 17 players since he joined? I'm not talking about the quality of them here, just for a second. If he's so desperate for 4231, why has not one of them players been a number 10? We've bought about 4 full backs, 3 Centre backs. 3 Centre midfielders, 3 wingers. 3 Strikers. Not one number 10. Just shoehorned players in there. Its the most important position for this formation, as other formations don't use it. Talk about backing all you want, and quality of the players brought in, but not one number 10 has been bought while we've bought so many backup fullbacks. That aren't even used as backup. He claims to know these players he's brought in, so I'm failing to see who else is at fault for this.

He's brought in what, 16, 17 players since he joined? I'm not talking about the quality of them here, just for a second. If he's so desperate for 4231, why has not one of them players been a number 10? We've bought about 4 full backs, 3 Centre backs. 3 Centre midfielders, 3 wingers. 3 Strikers. Not one number 10. Just shoehorned players in there. Its the most important position for this formation, as other formations don't use it. Talk about backing all you want, and quality of the players brought in, but not one number 10 has been bought while we've bought so many backup fullbacks. That aren't even used as backup. He claims to know these players he's brought in, so I'm failing to see who else is at fault for this.

I actually agree with regard to the number 10 role, but i do think he bought in Diame for that and he's been a disaster.

If a number 10 was available that would definitely improve us, while costing below 10m, I've got no doubt we'd have him.

By withholding funds, Rafa is literally forced to play to the same tune of his predecessors and buy players that represent little more than decent value and/or potential sell-on value. Mike Ashley never fucking learns.

No, I disagree.  Rafa is a very defensive minded manager and his priority must be a solid defence line, and players that aren't good at counters

Most of our centre halfs are very good at being counters

No, I disagree.  Rafa is a very defensive minded manager and his priority must be a solid defence line, and players that aren't good at counters. 

A solid defence playing a deep line ( like we do) needs players who are good at counters. That makes absolutely no sense.

Rafa actually should be credited to be able to build a solid defence line within very limited budget.  We just give Huddersfield one clear chance and get punished.  Other than that we are fine.  Yedlin Clark both come at very cheap cost and Lejuene looks like a gem.  And we still have Dummett Lascelles and Manquillos that all can do a job.  It is fair to say we have the best defence among our relegation rivals, even if our gk is shit.  Rafa deserves huge credit for this.

The other side of the story, however, is that the players aren't good at building up plays in top level.  They are good at counters.  We look a lot more dangerous vs Spurs because that's what we are good at.  We aren't a team that is good at building up plays because we lack good attacking full backs, Hayden aren't technically good enough and most importantly, Gayle is not this type of forward.  However, Rafa is brave / arrogant enough to try to play like a technically superior team, away versus Huddersfield, and that's when the no.10 problem got exposed.  In a way, Rafa should be praised to try to have a go, but it is a failed experiment.  However, to play like a strong team and dominate the game is not his priority.  Solid defence and counter is.  That's why he didn't spend his money on no.10 because at worst we can just go defensive every game from now on and no.10 is useless.

In a way, Rafa is similar to Jose.  Defensive first, attack second.  Full back has to be pacy and not get exposed, and there must be two defensive midfielder to cover the space in the middle.

No, I disagree.  Rafa is a very defensive minded manager and his priority must be a solid defence line, and players that aren't good at counters. 

A solid defence playing a deep line ( like we do) needs players who are good at counters. That makes absolutely no sense.

We are good at counters.  We almost score against Spurs.  Or you think we can play possession football and able to do the same?

We are good at counters.  We almost score against Spurs.  Or you think we can play possession football and able to do the same?

We aren't good at counters. We played two games and scored 0 goals. We created a few opportunities but didn't have the quality in attacking areas to convert. That's is why strikers and forwards in general cost a lot of money, and why Rafa will find it impossible to get the players he needs to make his system work effectively.

Lol ok, let me rephrase, we aren't good at counters, but we are even worse when we attack by other means.

Anyway, that's Rafas choice under limited budget, that's my point.  No.10 is never his priority, and that's why he bought in so many defenders and pacy wingers but not a traditional creator.