Rafael Benitez

Jesse Pinkman

Of course not, there's nothing to stop a club rejecting bids after the season starts now either. Just seems to be tying the clubs own hands if though if they're relying on outside money and can't replace them as they can now.

I'm still not seeing the logic. If a club is so desperate for money they can still sell and if they are desperate for money to use on new players then they just change the timing. Sell player on July 15 instead of August 15.

Of course not, there's nothing to stop a club rejecting bids after the season starts now either. Just seems to be tying the clubs own hands if though if they're relying on outside money and can't replace them as they can now.

I'm still not seeing the logic. If a club is so desperate for money they can still sell and if they are desperate for money to use on new players then they just change the timing. Sell player on July 15 instead of August 15.

He's saying that if Real Madrid buy a player from Sociedad, Sociedad then can't come and raid Port Vale for a replacement, even if Port Vale need £200k for upgrading the gents toilets.

Are they saying its un-fair because other European teams could do deals with each other after our window has closed ?

I think it's the part where other European teams can still buy our players.

Say your Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern etc, and you fancy a player like Dele Ali. You wait until our window shuts and then you buy Ali, leaving Tottenham unable to strengthen after losing one of their best players.

For me that's a massive flaw, easily sorted by bringing in rules so we can't sell either when our window shuts.

THEY COULD JUST NOT SELL HIM

Unfortunately player power is the game now, OK.

Sociedad don't have to sell (though this hypothetical works better with PL clubs). Port Vale can sell in July to fund toilets.

Sociedad don't want the Port Vale player in July, as Real Madrid haven't signed their player yet (for £5m in might add, far too good an offer to turn down).

I agree with you by the way, Nuts off his nut :-D

Current window:

Barcelona want Real Sociedad player

Real Sociedad see Brentford player as replacement

Brentford see Aberdeen player as replacement

Money happily filters down the game, clubs who need to sell to stay afloat or build a squad, they can happily do so.

The scenario everyone seems to be in favour for, that trail stops at Brentford. I don't get why we'd want this just for the sake of a few matches?

Sociedad don't have to sell (though this hypothetical works better with PL clubs). Port Vale can sell in July to fund toilets.

Sociedad don't want the Port Vale player in July, as Real Madrid haven't signed their player yet (for £5m in might add, far too good an offer to turn down).

I agree with you by the way, Nuts off his nut :-D

:lol:

Current window:

Barcelona want Real Sociedad player

Real Sociedad see Brentford player as replacement

Brentford see Aberdeen player as replacement

Money happily filters down the game, clubs who need to sell to stay afloat or build a squad, they can happily do so.

The scenario everyone seems to be in favour for, that trail stops at Brentford. I don't get why we'd want this just for the sake of a few matches?

The problem with your scenario is you're assuming that any of the 20 Premier League clubs do or should care about Real Sociedad, Aberdeen, or even Brentford.

I don't know about "happily" filtering down.

Won't Barca be looking to dick over Sociedad as much as possible in the deal, Sociedad will want to do the same to Brentford and so on? When the buying club is larger they have an easier time massaging that price down through ethically questionable means,i.e. unsettling players. Smaller clubs have a harder time forcing larger bids.

Guest firetotheworks

I wonder whether a sales tax on transfers above a certain amount might be a good idea? If the FA brought it in and whatever is made at the end of the year is then spread equally to each team throughout the Football League.

Now that fees are getting into £100m and above, teams lower down getting even in the tens of thousands could make all the difference.

I wonder whether a sales tax on transfers above a certain amount might be a good idea? If the FA brought it in and whatever is made at the end of the year is then spread equally to each team throughout the Football League.

Now that fees are getting into £100m and above, teams lower down getting even in the tens of thousands could make all the difference.

:thup:

There's one date for the whole of UEFA isn't there ? Can't be too hard to move either the deadline date or the season start to make it that the window shuts before the season opener.

Personaly I'm all for shutting the window July 31st then having a two week window in January in which there'd be a maximum 2 signings per club.

There's one date for the whole of UEFA isn't there ? Can't be too hard to move either the deadline date or the season start to make it that the window shuts before the season opener.

Personaly I'm all for shutting the window July 31st then having a two week window in January in which there'd be a maximum 2 signings per club.

It would be absolutely spectacularly hard to move season start dates.

I'm all for this change fwiw. Just get your business done before the season starts. Loans would probably need tweaking too (although that's a whole new can of worms).

It would be absolutely spectacularly hard to move season start dates.

I'm all for this change fwiw. Just get your business done before the season starts. Loans would probably need tweaking too (although that's a whole new can of worms).

I'd say that's probably a much more important problem they should be looking at, the loan system as it stands is a farce.

It's a good idea, no reason why clubs shouldn't getting things sorted earlier. Making these 'what if a club from another league comes in for a player' claims make no sense when teams from China and UAE having been doing exactly that for a few years.